Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S 85D - Fast charging rate at SuperCharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on the update 2019.16.2. I remember reading that the charging rate would be super high if I use Navigation to reach a super charger. It says the battery would be prepared by ways of pre-warming and so when I charge, the charge time would be less and charge time would be higher.

However, I do not see any changes at all. I am a relatively new owner (2 months or so) and it takes about 50 mins to go from 50 miles or so to 240 miles. It is that way when I started charging when I got the car and it still remains the same now. The max rate I get is 112kw and not more than that. I do find a stall that doesn't have another car charging on either side of my car and so sharing can't be an issue either.

I don't think any 85 owners have reported a rate above 117/118kw. Using the Nav will not increase your maximum rate, but will thermally condition the battery so that it can charge as quickly as possible...as close to the max kw as possible. For example, if you try to Supercharge an 85 that's been sitting out in -10f all night, it may take 1/2 hour at 10kw before the battery is warm enough to start seeing 50kw.

So the answer is, "no." The maximum kw has not gone up, but the profile/speed/taper of the charging session should be better/faster. I suspect that in summer weather, this will be basically unnoticeable. In the winter, it could be quite noticeable.

I don't think any 85 owners have reported a rate above 117/118kw. Using the Nav will not increase your maximum rate, but will thermally condition the battery so that it can charge as quickly as possible...as close to the max kw as possible. For example, if you try to Supercharge an 85 that's been sitting out in -10f all night, it may take 1/2 hour at 10kw before the battery is warm enough to start seeing 50kw.

So the answer is, "no." The maximum kw has not gone up, but the profile/speed/taper of the charging session should be better/faster. I suspect that in summer weather, this will be basically unnoticeable. In the winter, it could be quite noticeable.

2014 P85 66000 miles.
IMG_128FE010AA02-1.jpeg

I have a 2015 Model S 85 and I consistently get over 125kw speeds with a Low battery under 50 miles left.

del

I have a 2015 Model S 85 and I consistently get over 125kw speeds with a Low battery under 50 miles left.
Same here, it had been up around 120kW at first and tapered off. I left around 50% and it was still going at ~80kW. The car has 112k miles on it and according to scan my tesla about 2/3 of the total charging has been at superchargers. Makes sense as the previous (and first) owner did a lot of longer trips in it. Fully charged it reports 259 miles which tells me that frequent supercharging isn't really that bad, at least not for mine.

1621727930437.png

Same here, around 48kW unless I catch the 118kW when battery very depleted.

But then free coffee never tastes like the back porch roasted batch through a single dose grinder
in your plumbed in spring lever Italian machine:cool:

Same here, around 48kW unless I catch the 118kW when battery very depleted.

But then free coffee never tastes like the back porch roasted batch through a single dose grinder
in your plumbed in spring lever Italian machine:cool:
I am renewing this older thread. I am a new Tesla owner of a 12-2014 Model S P85D. I did not realize that charging would take so long. I had heard closer to 20-30 min for a charge. I drive 42 miles each way to work and am trying to maximize charging habits to reduce overall time at the supercharger. I do not yet have Level 2 at home but can trickle charge with 110 outlet. I am fortunate that I have 2 SC near home , one south (on the way back from work.). There are no SC near work so all charging is at local to home.

At supercharger I rarely get even 60 kW and it quickly slows to about 30 kW. It sounds like this is normal? 20-30 min is acceptable but 45 min or more is not. Any feedback appreciated.

I am renewing this older thread. I am a new Tesla owner of a 12-2014 Model S P85D. I did not realize that charging would take so long. I had heard closer to 20-30 min for a charge. I drive 42 miles each way to work and am trying to maximize charging habits to reduce overall time at the supercharger. I do not yet have Level 2 at home but can trickle charge with 110 outlet. I am fortunate that I have 2 SC near home , one south (on the way back from work.). There are no SC near work so all charging is at local to home.

At supercharger I rarely get even 60 kW and it quickly slows to about 30 kW. It sounds like this is normal? 20-30 min is acceptable but 45 min or more is not. Any feedback appreciated.
Depends on many factors, but if your SoC in percent and charge rate in Kw add up to 105 to 115, you are like most of us.

Suggest review this thread for other tips on how to improve your SuC.

However, for us 85 pack owners, the days of 30-80% charge in 30 minutes are gone probably forever.

Reactions: CFinVancouver
Are you sure the louvers are opening at the front of your car? There is a set on each side. When they don't open, mine went through this, then you cannot charge very quickly because the battery can't be kept cool enough. Usually just one side doesn't work..
A good point. Lots of debris can accumulate on the radiators as well. I have used a blower to clean.

But if the battery cannot be cooled sufficiently the fans and or AC will be running at a high rate

I monitor via SMT so I know what the pack temp is, and what the passive and active cooling temps are, as well as the max permissible charge rate.

Reactions: henderrj