Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S 90D Problems. Any others similar experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See the attached UI screenshot as well as Tesla's prepped ahead of time invoice.

So I got this ride Mid 2020 used with about 23-24k miles on it, now up to 31k miles. And I originally had the common system black screening problems every now and then or while I was driving and all screens went black, and they did the daughter board replacement for free for me free no further questions asked so that was a decent experience(and rightfully so as the highway safety group is going to force them to do this if they didn't start doing it free for folk).

Now I had this hit me pulling out of my garage one day and it persisted as I was driving out of my neighborhood and then decided it wasn't really safe to take out and to park it back in the garage.

I can say I have had brief occurrence of this kinda message pop up when I have been in reverse before, for instance reversing into a parking bay before I decide to super charge where the indicator will pop up and say my car may not restart, but then I park and plug in and then that indicator goes away quickly. Well this time the error persisted the whole time I drove out and to the entrance of my neighborhood and back. All the indicators, limited speed, regen breaking disabled etc. When I went to put my car in reverse to back it into the garage I initiated the pedal too in reverse and nothing happened for probably 2 seconds of the pedal down, then all of a sudden it lurched kicking in and started reversing for me but startled me a little bit, never had a delay from pedal pushed down to car reacting late....

Called tesla support, they walked me through restarting all the system panels, from central console power down and wait and restart, to pressing the buttons above the wheel to refresh the panel behind the wheel. As per tradition, these did not help me lol. Then they said these errors are "generic" and they don't necessarily know what it means. She did take a guess and said it may be battery related, but to not hold her to it cause she wasn't fully sure. Anyone here from the forums familiar with the error codes in my screenshot or had a similar experience?

They then scheduled me for mobile service at first to check and diagnose and potentially fix because I obviously don't want to drive this car up 2 hours to a service center when its like this. But then they today the next day they automatically converted my mobile service to a meet up in the Charlotte NC service center for Feb 10th. I had inquired on the phone if my car qualifies for the tow service of Tesla since its in this weird state and they said the towing is only if the car totally does not work and is undriveable. So I suppose let this forum post be proof that if I die on the highway trying to reach this service center that their cheap policy on towing requirements did me in heh. I think for folks far away from a center with their car under warranty in this condition they should honor helping out the customer for cars that cost 100k+ when originally purchased imo.

Oh and also charging me $175 for just taking a look into this issue seems a bit absurd, is that typical did others pay such for the inspection? I have had actual car REPAIRS with Ford etc. that were much cheaper than that. Guess that's what I get for buying a rich guy kind of car, guess I had high expectations for the longevity of the Tesla vs ICE but so far traditional auto wins in my mind, I had a Mustang for 10 years that maybe I did 4-5 various fixes to with components besides regular maintenance? This thing in less than a year has had two big problems for only being a car in the single digits of age.

Tesla's are fun to drive and cool when they work, but man is it such a pain when they don't.

Attachments

• Tesla_Work.png
    Tesla_Work.png
    94.2 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_1158.jpg
    IMG_1158.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1159.jpg
    IMG_1159.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1160.jpg
    IMG_1160.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1161.jpg
    IMG_1161.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1162.jpg
    IMG_1162.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 184
Reactions: rickyjb
2 things come to mind. Battery heater or HV battery. - At least for the error about acceleration reduced.
I am going to guess battery heater. They changed something recently and it flags an error code on the battery heater very easily. Late last winter/early spring I feel like there was a rash of these things. It is like they made the tolerances really tight by software.
Anyway, takes about an hour to change out.
For me, it has been the biggest repair to my 2015 at 90k miles.

The 12V battery is the other question mark (I have had to replace 2 of these in my cars life). Both of the times for me, it has said - you need a new 12V battery or some similar warning. But many thousands of reports of mysterious warnings fixed by a new battery.

In your situation, I would replace the 12V battery. Or at least, take a look at it. If it is original - replace it. Save yourself the fee and the trip. It is under the nosecone and requires some work to get at. To give you an idea - I have paid Tesla to replace both of mine. And I am not that lazy, generally. Tesla charges $200 including part which is reasonable for what they do.

Your car has not been driven a lot. It is going to suffer time related failures. None of this is a big deal - financially or otherwise.

My only repairs are half shafts, battery heater and 12V batteries (and door handles - DIY for me). I assure you that my car has been in a garage shop for less time than any Ford in existence. Oil changes alone. It has been like 6 hours total over 90k miles. I only did one service at 49k miles.

Appreciate it @David_Cary and @murphyS90D, both possibilities sound very believable. I keep my car in my garage with the garage door closed so its really never super cold in there but Its been in the low 30's outside a few times in SC lately so I could see the potential that the air temperature in there could get into the 40-50's.

Is there major risk driving a Tesla for 2 hours with a failed battery heater when my service appointment comes(in the middle of winter)? If it stays in this state another 10 days is this doing serious damage to my battery? Was hoping I could get lucky and get a under warranty battery replacement.

Last edited:
If a problem is found during inspection, I believe they will waive that inspection fee.
Ah that is good to know, will confirm with Tesla. Now that I am confident in the problem, I wonder if the battery heater replacement can be done by mobile tech vs having to drive 2 hours to a SC. Really don't wanna drive all the way up there, especially if its dangerous for me to drive it(kinda feels like it is with no regen breaking working and speed limited), or have to pay for a personal tow, I imagine a 2 hr tow is expensive(100+ mile tows are $200-650 avg online I saw).

Driving the car will warm the battery. Not as fast as the heater would, but it will warm. It is just above freezing where I live and after 30 miles of local driving the battery is not completely warmed up. I don't have an acceleration limit but the regen limit takes a long time to go away. Without any regen braking the car drives just like any ICE car with respect to the brakes.

Reactions: jeremy0916
Oh and also charging me $175 for just taking a look into this issue seems a bit absurd, is that typical did others pay such for the inspection? I have had actual car REPAIRS with Ford etc. that were much cheaper than that. Guess that's what I get for buying a rich guy kind of car, guess I had high expectations for the longevity of the Tesla vs ICE but so far traditional auto wins in my mind, I had a Mustang for 10 years that maybe I did 4-5 various fixes to with components besides regular maintenance? This thing in less than a year has had two big problems for only being a car in the single digits of age.

Tesla's are fun to drive and cool when they work, but man is it such a pain when they don't.

That's your first and critical mistake. Don't believe the hype. Do a thorough research before giving Tesla your money. Once they have it, it's a roll of the dice if they'll remember you. IMO, every potential buyer should peruse this forum to set their appropriate level of expectation. Theoretically, yes, EVs should be reliable due to much less complexity. At least other EVs seem to be less problematic. In reality, quite a few (not all) Tesla vehicles are plagued with issues, and the service can be horrible. Not acceptable for the prices these cars sell for. There's an article about a whole fleet of taxi in Holland having so many issues that financially it's not working out for that company.

So apparently the battery itself gets the 8 year warranty right? But the device that heats the battery is not under warranty and sits outside the battery. You know what they want to fix that if the heater is the issue? $1.1k.. I mean I just paid like 42k for this used car last year and thought I would be safe at least through the warranty for expensive components. Have barely put 5k miles on it(it has 30k total about now) and already dealing with an expensive fix not even a year later.

Wanted to be a Tesla fan but this is disheartening, probably going to fix this component, try to sell my car for $43k to cover the part and find something better.. For 43k is there a Tesla model that should be more reliable + cheaper or other EV car brands showing early promise?

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
So apparently the battery itself gets the 8 year warranty right? But the device that heats the battery is not under warranty and sits outside the battery. You know what they want to fix that if the heater is the issue? $1.1k.. I mean I just paid like 42k for this used car last year and thought I would be safe at least through the warranty for expensive components. Have barely put 5k miles on it(it has 30k total about now) and already dealing with an expensive fix not even a year later.

Wanted to be a Tesla fan but this is disheartening, probably going to fix this component, try to sell my car for $43k to cover the part and find something better.. For 43k is there a Tesla model that should be more reliable + cheaper or other EV car brands showing early promise?

Tesla makes the boldest claims, and doesn't always back them up. Other EVs don't do this from what I've observed. Reliability is likely better with other manufacturers.

Disagree, its a 42k car now, can't be treated at the value of its inception. Must be nice to think 42k is cheap, probably a California thing.

I actually know a guy locally that can fix up Tesla's so may see if they have any capability to do so before going to a service center to fork out a grand on a glorified heating element.

If the risk of moderately expensive out of pocket repairs is not something you're willing to entertain, a 6 year old used Tesla with no warranty is not the car for you.

Nor is a used BMW, Mercedes, Audi, or any upmarket/luxury brand for that matter - save maybe Lexus.

This should be obvious.

Sell it now and buy a Honda or Toyota.