Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S Base Audio Package No Sound

aroundlsu

Nov 15, 2018
New Orleans
I have a 2015 RWD Model S with the MCU1 and with the base audio package. Last week all but the center speaker has stopped working. The voice commands still work but there is nothing from the door speakers or rear speakers. I did a lot of research on this issue and have tried just about everything.

1. I soft and hard reset the system a dozen times and even updated the firmware to the latest release. No change.
2. I checked the fuses that are related to the sound system. All fuses are good. I did notice there is a fuse installed for the premium amplifier but there should be no amplifier for this car right? I pulled that fuse, checked it, and nothing changed.

A few questions.

I examined the service manual and wiring schematics and understand the base audio package has no amplifier but instead sends speaker level output direct from the MCU. Is this correct? If so, it would seem the MCU could be at fault. This is a new MCU1 Tesla installed under warranty a few years ago.

Are there any replaceable amplifier components on the back of the MCU or is it all just one unit/part?

I read some pages about upgrading the base audio system to one with an amplifier using the line level outputs from the MCU. If I can determine the line level outputs are still working I suppose I could add an amplifier and upgrade the system but it seems I'll lose volume control through the MCU that way?

Anything else I should check or consider before calling Tesla?

Chito307

May 12, 2020
Streamwood
Are you aware of any aftermarket amplifier in the vehicle? Are you the original owner? I have installed an aftermarket amplifier in my Model S however you would never find it because I have discreetly hidden it behind the dash. If my amplifier say blew a fuse the only speaker that you would hear is that center speaker. Check to see if you have any fuses under the frunk next to your battery.

JulienAllard

Aug 2, 2021
Montreal, Canada
hey @aroundlsu, I've had similar issue this morning with my Model S 2015. Except I have no speaker working at all and I did the upgrade to MCU2.

Yesterday in the evening I've had some trouble shifting the car from park mode so I did a reboot by pressing-holding the 2 scroll wheels. This morning, no sound; not even the turn signals or alerts... Might be related??

Back in 2018 some have fix this by going in the menu settings > Safety and hit the Power off button.

Can you let us know if you find a fix? I'll do the same!

JulienAllard

Aug 2, 2021
Montreal, Canada
Yesterday I noticed that the vocal commands wasn't working either; when pressing the mic button, I'd get a message saying that the microphone was still initializing. So I think the computer could have not rebooted properly?

Anyway, I did another soft reset by pressing the 2 scrolling wheels for 10 seconds (even if screens went black after 5). This time everything seems to be working properly.

I found this article showing up different levels of resetting/shutting down the car. It might fix things by doing a complete shutdown...
@aroundlsu, the article also talks about the eMMC problem...

aroundlsu

Nov 15, 2018
New Orleans
The Tesla service center did the eMMC recall yesterday and attempted to diagnose the speaker issue. Their findings was the built in amplifier in the MCU is faulty and can't be replaced. They recommended doing the MCU2 upgrade for $1500 which I agreed to as I've been wanting to do that upgrade anyway.

aroundlsu

Nov 15, 2018
New Orleans
So today Tesla replaced the MCU1 with the MCU2 upgrade and... still no sound from my door or rear speakers. The tech was completely dumbfounded. They gave me a loaner to take home while they charge me $160/hour to continue to diagnose the issue. Based on the wiring diagrams I studied the speakers plug directly into the MCU so I don't understand how they can't be working with a brand new MCU (and neither can the techs).

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC