Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S Base Audio Package No Sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 RWD Model S with the MCU1 and with the base audio package. Last week all but the center speaker has stopped working. The voice commands still work but there is nothing from the door speakers or rear speakers. I did a lot of research on this issue and have tried just about everything.

1. I soft and hard reset the system a dozen times and even updated the firmware to the latest release. No change.
2. I checked the fuses that are related to the sound system. All fuses are good. I did notice there is a fuse installed for the premium amplifier but there should be no amplifier for this car right? I pulled that fuse, checked it, and nothing changed.

A few questions.

I examined the service manual and wiring schematics and understand the base audio package has no amplifier but instead sends speaker level output direct from the MCU. Is this correct? If so, it would seem the MCU could be at fault. This is a new MCU1 Tesla installed under warranty a few years ago.

Are there any replaceable amplifier components on the back of the MCU or is it all just one unit/part?

I read some pages about upgrading the base audio system to one with an amplifier using the line level outputs from the MCU. If I can determine the line level outputs are still working I suppose I could add an amplifier and upgrade the system but it seems I'll lose volume control through the MCU that way?

Anything else I should check or consider before calling Tesla?

Are you aware of any aftermarket amplifier in the vehicle? Are you the original owner? I have installed an aftermarket amplifier in my Model S however you would never find it because I have discreetly hidden it behind the dash. If my amplifier say blew a fuse the only speaker that you would hear is that center speaker. Check to see if you have any fuses under the frunk next to your battery.

hey @aroundlsu, I've had similar issue this morning with my Model S 2015. Except I have no speaker working at all and I did the upgrade to MCU2.

Yesterday in the evening I've had some trouble shifting the car from park mode so I did a reboot by pressing-holding the 2 scroll wheels. This morning, no sound; not even the turn signals or alerts... Might be related??

Back in 2018 some have fix this by going in the menu settings > Safety and hit the Power off button.

Can you let us know if you find a fix? I'll do the same!

Yesterday I noticed that the vocal commands wasn't working either; when pressing the mic button, I'd get a message saying that the microphone was still initializing. So I think the computer could have not rebooted properly?

Anyway, I did another soft reset by pressing the 2 scrolling wheels for 10 seconds (even if screens went black after 5). This time everything seems to be working properly.

I found this article showing up different levels of resetting/shutting down the car. It might fix things by doing a complete shutdown...
@aroundlsu, the article also talks about the eMMC problem...

The Tesla service center did the eMMC recall yesterday and attempted to diagnose the speaker issue. Their findings was the built in amplifier in the MCU is faulty and can't be replaced. They recommended doing the MCU2 upgrade for $1500 which I agreed to as I've been wanting to do that upgrade anyway.

So today Tesla replaced the MCU1 with the MCU2 upgrade and... still no sound from my door or rear speakers. The tech was completely dumbfounded. They gave me a loaner to take home while they charge me $160/hour to continue to diagnose the issue. Based on the wiring diagrams I studied the speakers plug directly into the MCU so I don't understand how they can't be working with a brand new MCU (and neither can the techs).

Any update on this? I am currently in the same situation with no sound from the speakers. I am in Australia, original owner Model S with base audio. The only difference is that I had the MCU 2 upgrade 7 months ago.
I am in the same situation (AP2/MCU2 upgrade) with no audio. I think this started after the last software update (2022.4), and I just assumed it was a bluetooth issue. Today a had time to diagnose and it has no audio, except the ones required for driving (turn signals, alerts, horn, etc.) I deleted all bluetooth devices, rebooted multiple times and still no sound. I placed a service ticket.

How have others solved this problem?

I am in the same situation (AP2/MCU2 upgrade) with no audio. I think this started after the last software update (2022.4), and I just assumed it was a bluetooth issue. Today a had time to diagnose and it has no audio, except the ones required for driving (turn signals, alerts, horn, etc.) I deleted all bluetooth devices, rebooted multiple times and still no sound. I placed a service ticket.

How have others solved this problem?
Very weird resolution to my problem. I made a call via Bluetooth (I was surprised it worked.) When I hung up, the streaming music was blaring. Apparently the car thought I was still on a previous call??? From a week earlier???
No further problems yet....

Аналогичная проблема была и со звуком. Перезагрузка и разборка mcu не помогли. Переустановка обновления не помогла. Кто-нибудь менял плату встроенного аудиоусилителя?

... I examined the service manual and wiring schematics and understand the base audio package has no amplifier but instead sends speaker level output direct from the MCU. Is this correct? If so, it would seem the MCU could be at fault. This is a new MCU1 Tesla installed under warranty a few years ago.

Are there any replaceable amplifier components on the back of the MCU or is it all just one unit/part?

I read some pages about upgrading the base audio system to one with an amplifier using the line level outputs from the MCU. If I can determine the line level outputs are still working I suppose I could add an amplifier and upgrade the system but it seems I'll lose volume control through the MCU that way?
1. Yep, speaker level outputs for 5 channels (base sound system) come from MCU1
2. No replaceable parts - requires MCU1 replacement (and might as well go to MCU2)
3. Tesla used to leave the line level outputs active that go to the optional premium amplifier (a separate box for 7 more channels). These are very difficult to get to, so I wouldn't bother, and it's not clear that the line-level outputs remain active today.

So today Tesla replaced the MCU1 with the MCU2 upgrade and... still no sound from my door or rear speakers. The tech was completely dumbfounded.
Yep, I'd agree. The MCU replacement should have fixed it. A possible break in the wiring harness or connector, although it's hard to see a common point of failure with wiring. This is going to be painful to solve. Let us know what they find out.

1. Yep, speaker level outputs for 5 channels (base sound system) come from MCU1
2. No replaceable parts - requires MCU1 replacement (and might as well go to MCU2)
3. Tesla used to leave the line level outputs active that go to the optional premium amplifier (a separate box for 7 more channels). These are very difficult to get to, so I wouldn't bother, and it's not clear that the line-level outputs remain active today.

Yep, I'd agree. The MCU replacement should have fixed it. A possible break in the wiring harness or connector, although it's hard to see a common point of failure with wiring. This is going to be painful to solve. Let us know what they find out.
There is audio amplifier. Part number 1006163-01-d. May be change this item will solve this problem. Now i am finding for solution

Attachments

• base.jpg
    base.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 211
I wasn't aware you could order internal MCU parts from Tesla. There may be a part number on the board, but I'm not sure Tesla will sell it to you. Still worth a try if the cost is not great. A third-party used board may be an alternative source too. I'd be sure to get a 30-day return policy in case it is defective. Let us know how it goes!

I wasn't aware you could order internal MCU parts from Tesla. There may be a part number on the board, but I'm not sure Tesla will sell it to you. Still worth a try if the cost is not great. A third-party used board may be an alternative source too. I'd be sure to get a 30-day return policy in case it is defective. Let us know how it goes!

Today I changed this amplifier by myself. It solved my problem. Now I have a sound. You can buy this item from ebay. Try to change it too. Cost of it near 50$

Attachments

• IMG_20221220_205110.jpg
    IMG_20221220_205110.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 115
Hi, the OP had the base audio package. And the part number above 1006163-01-d is for the premium audio. Any what people can do if their (in my case) left door speaker is not working.? Thanks

I think this will work on base audio, since there is only one version of MCU1, so this is an internal part of the MCU. It has 7 channels, front 2x, center 1x, left 2x, Rear 2x

Today I changed this amplifier by myself. It solved my problem. Now I have a sound. You can buy this item from ebay. Try to change it too. Cost of it near 50$
Hello. I have tesla model s 2017. Mcu1. And front left speaker not working. One guy checked and said, that is one channel isb dead. So if i replace that ampliffier its works? Its BASE AUDIO system. Not premium. Sooo? Thank youuu