Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S Buyer's Remorse - advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
now out of warranty by 8k miles and 3- 5 months.

onboard charger died today. ..... (Yes L2 still works just can’t SC) ... dumbass text message I got asking me to confirm how I know my charger needs to be replaced. I mean read the text I wrote in the app making the service request.

As the on board charger is not used during supercharging (the charger is in the SC equipment) but is used during L2 charging (you can't L2 charge if it isn't working) it's pretty clear that your onboard charger has not failed and I don't think you can really blame the service center tech for wanting to know how you came up with this conclusion.

• Disagree
Reactions: croman and ucmndd
Nope, and let me explain below. Tesla's hubris is unbounded. Even though the On board doesn't rectify Supercharger, the unit is used to communicate and operate with the SC. Thus I cannot supercharge and can L2. This same exact thing happened to my Model S about 2 months ago. I'm happy to post both work orders showing the work for both cars same replacing the same OBC when I visit the Service center 10/16. Happy to stop people from saying the onboard charger doesn't interact with the supercharger when it in fact does.

FYI, Tesla's logs can see the errors thrown up on the Supercharger in real time. Emergency roadside said in fact i could destination charge (i.e. L2.) So the logs are clear as day. Thanks for playing

I think you are looking at it all wrong. When researching what could go wrong on the Tesla, I found the MCU memory issue, Door Handles, and charging boards going out. Other issues kept coming up also - such as bubble or yellow screens. But in looking at those issues, I figured those are minor compared to some of the problems I would have and have had with ICE vehicles. At least these issues for the most part won't leave you stranded on the side of the road.

I did get a 3rd party extended warranty just in case - but if there is any regret it is only the thought of nothing going wrong and having spent $$ on a warranty...

On the up side - one of the things I like about Tesla is they upgrade and improve a lot of the failing parts. So if a door handle fails you should get one of the new and improved designs that are less likely to fail in the future. Nice to also know the battery and drive units are covered for a few more years to come.

The onboard charger consists of a rectifier and boost circuit. Neither of these is used when super charging. The communications functions may be packaged with the actual charging stuff so that the field replaceable unit is the rectifier/boost/charge point comm package (it talks to HPWC and mobile charge units too) but when supercharging the on board charging equipment is not used. The tech was entirely justified in asking you for clarification. He doesn't know, a-priori, that you are smarter than he is. A more cooperative attitude will probably get you better service.

Last edited:
Reactions: Galve2000
I agree with previous posters - unless you have a "dud" where your MCU, drive unit and onboard charger all fail in the first year, the cost to dump the car in the 1st year will exceed repair costs.

That said, the Tesla is still more expensive than ICE - I'd have to check my numbers but I'm pretty sure I've put more out-of-pocket repair costs into my 4.5 yr old Model S than I did my preceding Malibu for 6.5 yrs.

The onboard charger consists of a rectifier and boost circuit. Neither of these is used when super charging. The communications functions may be packaged with the actual charging stuff so that the field replaceable unit is the rectifier/boost/charge point comm package (it talks to HPWC and mobile charge units too) but when supercharging the on board charging equipment is not used. The tech was entirely justified in asking you for clarification. He doesn't know, a-priori, that you are smarter than he is. A more cooperative attitude will probably get you better service.

This is ridiculous hair splitting. Does it really matter if all of the communications and current isolation bits are in the same metal box that Tesla and the entire community colloquially refers to as the "onboard charger"? Does it make it any less true to say the "onboard charger" was replaced to address the issue?

I know this is off-topic a bit now, but I'm very curious to know what you have had to repair out of warranty so far (I'm keeping a very detailed log - in my signature of everything I've changed or had to repair - I've had the car for only 3 months so far, so the log is very short). I love my 75D and would never buy any other car other than a Tesla despite some of the "cons".
I have had to pay for the following out of warranty repairs:

Headlights (went with Evan for upgraded lights) - $1,000
3 Door handles - $300
12V Battery - $250

Brent

This is ridiculous hair splitting.
To your way of thinking, perhaps. I was an engineer. As I recall the unit (for my X) contains three (now 2) charging boards. There is doubtless another board in there that interfaces the three, the rest of the car and the charging port's communications pins. To me a charger is a charger - not a circuit board which networks chargers but you may think of it as you prefer.

I'll post what was done to my Model S a few months back and to the Model X when it goes in. And I disagree about the apriori before confirming. When I called the emergency hotline I got a real person who put me on hold. Came back after a few minutes and confirmed my car is "throwing errors" for supercharging but L2 would still work. He said Destination charging and I knew he meant L2.

All of that was added as notes, as well as the date 10/6 and where i was trying to Supercharge (2 stations). He could see that too. So again if anyone ex-post facto is getting involved, read the notes, otherwise the internal system is broken. And my attitude regardless is meaningless. I was more than polite on the phone and not so terse in my text response to my app request for service which BTW is very straight forward.

IMG_0165.jpg

I'll post what was done to my Model S a few months back and to the Model X when it goes in. And I disagree about the apriori before confirming. When I called the emergency hotline I got a real person who put me on hold. Came back after a few minutes and confirmed my car is "throwing errors" for supercharging but L2 would still work. He said Destination charging and I knew he meant L2.

All of that was added as notes, as well as the date 10/6 and where i was trying to Supercharge (2 stations). He could see that too. So again if anyone ex-post facto is getting involved, read the notes, otherwise the internal system is broken. And my attitude regardless is meaningless. I was more than polite on the phone and not so terse in my text response to my app request for service which BTW is very straight forward.

View attachment 463548
This thread is going so far off-topic now...............

• Love
Reactions: brkaus
It is. But as I general comment I have found it not wise to tell technicians (auto, HVAC...) or doctors what you think the problem is. Just tell them the symptoms and let them figure out what is wrong or needs to be replaced. Smart as we think we are they are, we hope, smarter with respect to whatever we are consulting them about than we are. And even if they aren't we get their opinion, unbiased by ours i.e. we get a second independent opinion.

Reactions: riles246
I get all worked up when I read these forums as well. You got a good deal though - try to enjoy the car and live in the moment. If you're really worried, build up a small financial buffer over time. Even $1k will go a long way.

Mine has been out of warranty for about 18 months now. I had to replace a leaky coolant pump, which I believe cost around $300. I figure at this point I'm just going to drive the car into the ground because it has free supercharging and will never be upgradeable from autopilot V1. I still take it on long road trips though - just got back from an almost 3k mile one.

Point being, it's easy to read other peoples' bad experiences on here and then assume it's going to happen to you. In reality, the car may drive forever without any needs at all.

I get all worked up when I read these forums as well. You got a good deal though - try to enjoy the car and live in the moment. If you're really worried, build up a small financial buffer over time. Even $1k will go a long way.

Mine has been out of warranty for about 18 months now. I had to replace a leaky coolant pump, which I believe cost around $300. I figure at this point I'm just going to drive the car into the ground because it has free supercharging and will never be upgradeable from autopilot V1. I still take it on long road trips though - just got back from an almost 3k mile one.

Point being, it's easy to read other peoples' bad experiences on here and then assume it's going to happen to you. In reality, the car may drive forever without any needs at all.

Agreed. I had a similar experience with a prior car- got so worked up reading forums about what could go wrong, but nothing ever happened. You have to remember that people post about problems in hopes of finding solutions, but rarely post about not having a problem. On any forum for any car, you'll never see a thread titled "I didn't have to get service done today" or "my commute went off without a hitch today".

Compare a Model S to any gasser, especially a German gasser, and you'll see that even with a few repairs you'll be thousands ahead. No timing belts to change, no oil changes, no emissions devices that can fail. I had a few diesel VWs and diesel Mercedes, believe me, the Tesla would need to implode to match their mid- to late-life repair costs. True, Teslas have lots of electronics, but in my Mercedes I was quoted $800 to get the old fashioned ignition switch replaced when the car didn't start. The other cars on the road have just as many, if not more, problems.

Also, remember to use eBay and local mechanics for anything not too specialized. For example, pre-facelift headlights are basically free on eBay at $70 shipped compared to nearly $1k brand new from the service center; this is no different than a gas car. All the typical used car ownership rules apply.

BTW - I've been living with the same uncertainty and panic since I passed 50k miles on my 2017 S. Do I get the extended warranty or not.

But, today I just passed 51k so now I can relax and hope I made the right decision.

I totally understand where you're coming from.

Hi there! I saw how helpful you all were to RedLoubs&wine when she asked for advice about buying a used Tesla and I thought I'd reach out. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I knew incredibly little about Teslas before I plunked down my money (first mistake).

I impulsively bought a 2015 MS 70 with 79K miles from a used car dealer (second mistake). The price was good (35.4K), it was beautiful, it drove like a dream. Carfax said no accidents, two owners: the first, a 3-month lease; the second, the person who had it before the used car dealer got it.

A week later, I went to pick it up, drove it 30 miles and stopped at a public charger. When I went to lock the car, the rear passenger handle wouldn't retract. I took it back to the dealer and they said they'd fix it.

Since then, I've been doing all sorts of reading/viewing including "The Real Cost of Being Out of Warranty" and all of the expensive things that can go wrong with a Tesla.

I have a couple options: 1) I could pitch a fit, maybe shed some money and get the dealer to take the car back (possible since it will take them forever to get the part, even if they can); 2) take the car and hope for the best; or 3) take the car and get an Xcelerate 4-year/50K warranty for $6.4K.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably get a CPO. Now, I just don't know what to do. I haven't slept in the week since I picked up the car. I'm filled with self doubt and have analysis paralysis.

Thanks in advance.

TESLA CPO?
Really?

What you smokin?

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec
The dealer took the car back so now I'm in the excited hunt for a Tesla. New(ish) model 3? Used S?
One of the problems here was it was a car bought at auction, sold by a used car dealer. They didn't know anything about Teslas and later searching showed, not a great reputation.

I'm thinking private owner (onlyusedtesla) or used from Tesla (no model 3s whenever I've looked).
I'm tending towards longer range and AWD.

Recommendations?

I did buy a CPO 2014 almost 2 years ago and my warranty is about up. right now at 90,000 miles I can say that the few times it was in the shop were for inexpensive items.. the 12 v battery was replaced on warranty, and Tesla did a check of the High powered connectors.. that would have been all labor if I had to pay for it. Maybe I have been lucky, but I really love my car, and it's so nice to have free supercharging. I had the chance to get one of the first 3s or my p85 at about the same price. I chose the older car because I am happy with the tech that's in it.. ap1 and sensors and i am not concerned about a faster mcu. I know that eventually that MCU will give up the ghost.. but so will my laptop and my iphone and.. well it's tech.. that is bound to happen.. I replaced tires at about 40,000 miles in to them andr really the big ticket items.. the battery and motor are still covered for up to 8 years from new.. or in my case 2022.. sleep well knowing that you car is awesome!