Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S charging only at 2V vs. 12V even on Level 2 Tesla charger goes up to 3V only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I checked all treads and could not find similar issue. I reported this to Tesla service on Dec 14th they did some diagnostics but could not get the issue what i am experiencing.

Recently with addition of Model 3 to our household i am using Tesla L2 to charge Model 3 while regular plug 120V for Model S (given that one car is in garage and other is outside). I tried even switching to Model 3 mobile charger thinking could be cables, used L2 cable and even went supercharging but it seems the issue come and goes away in middle of Dec last year and come up again in Jan. See my details and already booked service with Tesla on Jan 10th but wondering if anyone experienced similar issue. Note i did numerous soft and hard restart of Model S, checked the cables but seems strange occurrence. Thanks

Sun (Jan 2) @ 11:08am – Battery level was at 236km and scheduled for 90% charge limit. It was only charging at rate of 2A where usually this is 12A. No error message on the screen or any alert just saying the car is charging and calculation but no charge actually occurred

Sun (Jan 2) @ 19:05pm – Battery level was as 228km and scheduled for 90% charge limit. Showed rate of 2A and saying the car is charging and calculating but actually car was not being charged

Sun (Jan 2) @ 22:10pm – Battery level was as 227km and still showing charging at 2A but actually car was not being charged

Mon (Jan 3) @ 00:10am - Battery level was as 226km and still showing charging at 2A but actually car was not being charged

Mon (Jan 3) @ 12:03pm - Battery level was as 226km and still showing charging at 2A but actually car was not being charged

Mon (Jan 3) @ 15:18pm - Battery level was as 193km and still showing charging at 2A but actually car was not being charged

Mon (Jan 3) @ 17:51pm - Battery level was as 194km and still showing charging at 2A but actually car was not being charged

Mon (Jan 3) @ 20:17pm – Went to supercharger used the pre-heat option and when plugged battery level was at 114km. Charge limit was set as 7KW and said 45min to fully charge

Mon (Jan 3) @ 21:21pm – Still showing 40min even as 1hr has passed and battery level was at 159km. Charge rate was showing as 9KW. Left supercharger

Mon (Jan 3) @ 21:32pm – Plugged the car at home it showed 12A and over 24hrs for 90% charge. Battery level was 149km

Mon (Jan 3) @ 23:11pm – Checked on Tesla app shows still 12A charging and battery level was at 158km

Tue (Jan 4) @ 07:54am – Checked again the charge rate was down to 2A and battery level was at 171km, it seems it only added 20km of charge which is expected but after 7am went down from 12A to 2A

I believe if you're plugged into a standard outlet (120v, 12 amps continuous charging) and the car is only showing 2 amps charging, it's because the rest of the power (10 amps) is being used to heat the car and/or battery.
That is very true, along with any other devices on that same circuit. The supercharging results are indicative of charging or battery issues. Their are a different charging circuits for AC verses HV DC charging, so that seems unlikely to be the problem . Probably a battery issue.

Reactions: Sennapirke
Are you in Burlington Mass.? Or if not, what is weather where you are? If you are in MA, your experience is somewhat similar to mine over the past few days, which have been quite cold. Using the Tesla Wall Connector (gen 2), set for 40 amps, my car (2015 70S) has been charging at only 1-2 amps when the battery is cold. So, if park it and set it for charging the next morning (as we are recommended to do to have a warm car and a warm battery in the morning), it simply does not charge. Yesterday, with morning temps in the high teens/low twenties, it started charging at 6 AM and by 1 PM had still not increased the charging current over 1 amp. There was no meaningful amount of charge added to the battery. Fortunately, I had enough charge to make a run to Logan Airport to pick someone. With a round trip of roughly one hour, mostly at highway speeds, the regen limit had dropped only one yellow dash segment. I made another trip, about 20 minutes each way, partly highway, about 2 hours later. When I got back from that trip, I had only 20% charge left and started the charge immediately instead of leaving it for the morning. The charge current quickly ramped up to 40 amps and it charged as it should.
I had noticed odd charging behavior earlier in the winter, as well, namely delayed completion of charging, but I am retired and do not drive much, so it had not affected me and I did not have enough data to draw any conclusion. But after yesterday's experience, my tentative conclusion is that the battery is not getting heated when it should and that the battery won't charge until the battery is warm. I knew this was true for supercharging, but in 6 years with this car never heard of it as an issue with Level 2 charging, nor had I ever seen this behavior before. Fortunately, I already have an appointment for service in a couple weeks for another issue, so I have added this problem to the appointment.
I do not think there is anything wrong with the battery itself. Your situation might be different, of course, but I see some similarities.

Reactions: Sennapirke
Hi David29, i am in Burlington Ontario Canada but yes weather was kind of cold these last few days but again the charging was same issue even on days that i seen temperature around 7-10C. That could be an issue but still i find at very odd that even if i put the car in covered garage for a night and on Gen 1 Tesla wall connector i still get 2 or 3A the max.

Will report after today service visit see if they can diagnose these further and see if they can find the issue

Thanks

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Are you in Burlington Mass.? Or if not, what is weather where you are? If you are in MA, your experience is somewhat similar to mine over the past few days, which have been quite cold. Using the Tesla Wall Connector (gen 2), set for 40 amps, my car (2015 70S) has been charging at only 1-2 amps when the battery is cold. So, if park it and set it for charging the next morning (as we are recommended to do to have a warm car and a warm battery in the morning), it simply does not charge. Yesterday, with morning temps in the high teens/low twenties, it started charging at 6 AM and by 1 PM had still not increased the charging current over 1 amp. There was no meaningful amount of charge added to the battery. Fortunately, I had enough charge to make a run to Logan Airport to pick someone. With a round trip of roughly one hour, mostly at highway speeds, the regen limit had dropped only one yellow dash segment. I made another trip, about 20 minutes each way, partly highway, about 2 hours later. When I got back from that trip, I had only 20% charge left and started the charge immediately instead of leaving it for the morning. The charge current quickly ramped up to 40 amps and it charged as it should.
I had noticed odd charging behavior earlier in the winter, as well, namely delayed completion of charging, but I am retired and do not drive much, so it had not affected me and I did not have enough data to draw any conclusion. But after yesterday's experience, my tentative conclusion is that the battery is not getting heated when it should and that the battery won't charge until the battery is warm. I knew this was true for supercharging, but in 6 years with this car never heard of it as an issue with Level 2 charging, nor had I ever seen this behavior before. Fortunately, I already have an appointment for service in a couple weeks for another issue, so I have added this problem to the appointment.
I do not think there is anything wrong with the battery itself. Your situation might be different, of course, but I see some similarities.
As a follow-up: This morning our temps were in the 30s (F), and I saw similar behavior as what I described above -- charging current never exceeded 1 or 2 amps and no meaningful charge was achieved after charging for several hours. But when I remotely started the heater in preparation for running an errand, the charging current indicated on my phone rose immediately to power the heater, so there is no problem with the Wall Connector or whatever else is in the path for the current to reach the heater. Not sure if that passes through the AC/DC converter in the car, or not.

Hi David29, i am in Burlington Ontario Canada but yes weather was kind of cold these last few days but again the charging was same issue even on days that i seen temperature around 7-10C. That could be an issue but still i find at very odd that even if i put the car in covered garage for a night and on Gen 1 Tesla wall connector i still get 2 or 3A the max.

Will report after today service visit see if they can diagnose these further and see if they can find the issue

Thanks
What did you find out from the service center?
I am very curious, as I am now convinced, after more testing, that my car is no longer heating the battery. The only way I can the car to charge is to drive the car far enough or hard enough to drop at least 2 or 3 of the yellow bars in the energy graph so that regenerative braking is no longer fully restricted. Doing that yesterday and today, I was able to obtain charging both at a supercharger and at home. I am assuming and hoping this means the car has something broken, rather than that tesla has changed the software in such a way that it is more difficult to charge in cold weather....Someone said that is part of the so-called "Christmas update," but my car has not received that.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Here is the details and good news that issue was resolved and i will provide details on what Tesla Service did.
1. Car was at service center for 1 week as they were trying to verify and confirm is there battery pack issue or any other related battery issues
2. Service team on first few days could not see my issue that i reported even with colder temperature and leaving car outside on 12V they could not see same issue i reported
3. Once the car was inside service center next day car charging on 40A dropped to 1A and start showing same messages i get on mobile app and on the main screen
4. Another few days for them to contact HO and seems they found issue with my model was one of the pumps needs to be replaced. On the bill of sale says 'Powertrain Coolant Pump 2 (2nd generation) which was replaced
5. I don't have extended warranty and did ask service team well if this is required battery charging part why regular 8 years warranty would not cover as part of battery. I was advised even though sounds like battery related issue the coolant pump if not working like mine will give 'fault' message to battery charging and car will not charge. It is some kind of fault/safety thing. Either way i will email HO to see and try to understand why warranty will not cover and see if i can get better explanation
6. I decide to go with recommended part change and they were 99% sure that will resolve my issue. I been monitoring for last few days and we had some very cold (-25C here in Burlington Canada) weather and car charges to max 12V. Also i did test and switched to my L2 charging which is 32A. I also did 1 supercharge travel with all good positive results that i no longer have an issue

Happy to report this is resolved just want to ensure from warranty side if this was really not covered as part of overall battery warranty. Will report if i find more from HO and see their response

Reactions: serendipitous
5. I don't have extended warranty and did ask service team well if this is required battery charging part why regular 8 years warranty would not cover as part of battery. I was advised even though sounds like battery related issue the coolant pump if not working like mine will give 'fault' message to battery charging and car will not charge. It is some kind of fault/safety thing. Either way i will email HO to see and try to understand why warranty will not cover and see if i can get better explanation
This kind of thing has come up for years. People question this with things that are related to the charging process, like charge ports or the onboard charger or coolant pumps and valves. Tesla has been consistent all along in their treatment of this, although it chaps a lot of owners. Those are not specifically "the battery", so they are not covered under that much longer 8 year warranty.

and car charges to max 12V. Also i did test and switched to my L2 charging which is 32A
You have been continually mixing up volts and amps, so it has been really hard to figure out what you are referring to or what is happening.

Thanks Rocky_H for the warranty part i did get same reply from Tesla and i kind of just left it there. At least car is charging fine now and no issues.

On the V vs. A yes it was all supposed to be Amps not sure how i missed the 12V but yes it is 12A

Thanks