Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S D85 Battery Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2015 S 85D. A couple of weeks ago I drove through torrential rain. It was really raining heavily - I could only drive at 25mph. I did not drive into a puddle, but there was a layer of water on roadway. I received "Car may not restart - service required message on MCU. I pulled into a gas station, under a canopy and put the car in park. The car did not restart after that and I had it towed to Tesla Service Center. The next day I received a message from service center that Rapid Mate Connector on car side has failed due to water ingress. A day after I was told that it also needs new HV battery. Service center sent me a bill for $23600 and is currently waiting on estimate from my insurance co. I don't mind filing an insurance claim, except for $500 deductible, but isn't this battery issue should be covered under the battery warranty? Isn't this in-line with Elon's statement that "All unintentional damage to battery is covered under the warranty"? After all, the car was driven in the normal conditions - it was raining heavily, but I didn't flood the car. Anyone has an experience / opinion on this?

Attachments

• IMG_1716.jpg
    IMG_1716.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 2,481
Does anyone know if the Tesla battery or drive unit has a water rating?

Rivian has specifically stated that their batteries are warranted against water ingress under normal use.

I watched the XPeng P5 unveiling yesterday and they claim that their battery is actually IP68 certified. They specifically said the XPeng P5 battery is designed to be fully submerged in water for 2 days without damage!

I can't wait for Rivian, XPeng, and others to start selling hundreds and thousands of EVs. More competition will result in better products and better service.

I have 2015 S 85D. A couple of weeks ago I drove through torrential rain. It was really raining heavily - I could only drive at 25mph. I did not drive into a puddle, but there was a layer of water on roadway. I received "Car may not restart - service required message on MCU. I pulled into a gas station, under a canopy and put the car in park. The car did not restart after that and I had it towed to Tesla Service Center. The next day I received a message from service center that Rapid Mate Connector on car side has failed due to water ingress. A day after I was told that it also needs new HV battery. Service center sent me a bill for $23600 and is currently waiting on estimate from my insurance co. I don't mind filing an insurance claim, except for $500 deductible, but isn't this battery issue should be covered under the battery warranty? Isn't this in-line with Elon's statement that "All unintentional damage to battery is covered under the warranty"? After all, the car was driven in the normal conditions - it was raining heavily, but I didn't flood the car. Anyone has an experience / opinion on this?
That's wrong. Heavy rain or normal rain should not damage battery and if it did damage, it's just bad design and Tesla should pay the bill. This doesn't come under accident or floods I guess, this is just wrong from Tesla

I remember when Musk claimed the S would float on water. Elon Musk says the Model S can float well enough to be a boat – TechCrunch

Since the vehicle has never been flooded in water or driven in flood waters, you'd think they must prove damages caused by extreme operation. It will be interesting what your insurance has to say.
The insurance company said they will cover it, but now they actually asked me if I want to have it totaled - they fear that more hidden damage could have been done and that I may have problems with it in the future

The insurance company said they will cover it, but now they actually asked me if I want to have it totaled - they fear that more hidden damage could have been done and that I may have problems with it in the future
Sorry to see that. The batteries and connectors should be sealed and waterproofed. As another member has said, if the Model S does well in heavy rain / some water puddling conditions, then I think your car should be fine. This should not have happened. Perhaps it was an issue at the factory when your car was built, or something service did during maintenance recently (e.g. not making sure a cover was fully sealed).

Reactions: DCEV
So water intrusion not covered under defects in workmanship? If the pack wasn't installed correctly, or service done prior and it wasn't secure, that would qualify in workmanship failure. I don't buy water intrusion being the fault of the owner. Unless damage can be proven from the owner.

I've noticed trend that SC are more willing to honor warranty coverage the more expensive the vehicle is. Is that too outlandish?

So water intrusion not covered under defects in workmanship?
That would appear to be Tesla’s stance, yes.
If the pack wasn't installed correctly, or service done prior and it wasn't secure, that would qualify in workmanship failure. I don't buy water intrusion being the fault of the owner. Unless damage can be proven from the owner.
A reasonable opinion. But one that will seemingly need to be tested in court or arbitration given Tesla’s stance above.
I've noticed trend that SC are more willing to honor warranty coverage the more expensive the vehicle is. Is that too outlandish?
I’ve seen nothing that supports this claim. On the contrary, Tesla appears to be increasingly aggressive at denying any and all warranty claims they can, whether we’re talking about a SR Model 3 or the most expensive MS Plaid.

Reactions: aerodyne
That's wrong. Heavy rain or normal rain should not damage battery and if it did damage, it's just bad design and Tesla should pay the bill. This doesn't come under accident or floods I guess, this is just wrong from Tesla
I'm just curious. How did this issue end up getting resolved? I'm dealing with a similar situation right now. Rain water infiltrated the battery and electronics. Tesla is refusing to honor the warranty and do any of the repairs. I'm baffled.

I would think that if the connector was not damaged, that Tesla should be liable for defective part.
Was there any damage to the connector?

Same thing happened to me last week. But mine is a 2013 P85, so no warranty. And it was just rain (I live in the Seattle area). I'll check with my insurer, but what kind of insurance do you have? And what was the net/net of this for you?

It doesn't seem right to me that a Tesla is not water resistant enough for driving through the hardest rain, but if Tesla says the car was damaged due to flooding conditions (heavy rain) and won't cover it under warranty, then your comprehensive coverage would cover it just like the car had been in a flood. Seems to me that Tesla should have sensors and alerts to shut the car down when water has gotten somewhere it shouldn't, and figure out to better protect the car battery and drivetrain from water damage.