Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S MCU Upgrade UK Delay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a question for any UK owners of older Model S cars who have ordered the MCU upgrade from Tesla.

I have had my P85D since January 2016 now at 95k miles. The problem I have now is that the MCU screen completely failed back in September 2022 and it has the usual yellowing delamination that is common. The MCU itself works but all areas of the touch screen are non-responsive meaning I can't access any car functions and can only control a limited set via the Tesla App. Oddly after various software upgrades that have happened over the past month, the screen has then worked for a day but not on subsequent days from then on. I'm not 100% convinced it's entirely a hardware issue but more a combo of hardware and software. Most frustratingly the DAB radio is stuck on Heart 80's thanks to my wife and is slowly driving me insane.

I ordered the MCU upgrade via the Tesla App back in the first week of September 2022 via our local Tesla centre in Northampton. This appointment has been put back 4 times now to 28th February 2023 and I suspect likely to be delayed further. Tesla is stating they are waiting for parts and little further information is provided.

Naturally, this is frustrating as for me it's not just an upgrade it's actually a safety thing i.e. I have been reduced to sticking electrical tape on the windscreen over the camera to force the lights on foggy days. I am also somewhat concerned that the MOT test will fail when it's due as the tester won't be able to test the basic functions of the car.

Another frustration is I cannot sell the car privately easily in its present state and the Tesla trade-in price is some £10k below what I'd achieve on Autotrader.

So I'm now nearly at the end of month 5 of waiting with no real end in sight and with the MOT test date creeping up slowly.

Is anyone else experiencing these MCU upgrade delays from Tesla? If so how long have you been waiting?

Has anyone recently had the MCU fitted and if so what was your wait time?

Has anyone else experienced the same failure?

Any other bright ideas?

MCU1 used to have drivers for a USB mouse. Not sure if still true today, but might be worth a try if you have an old mouse laying around. Plug it in and have a flat surface to move the mouse on. You might be able to make a minor tweak like changing the music source if the mouse is detected.

Also, try the track controls on the left scroll wheel. Might change the source when in DAB mode, but likely not. (We don't have DAB here).

MCU2 upgrade is well worth it, but have no idea as to the delays. I think far more people than expected are getting MCU2 retrofits. In addition, it wouldn't surprise me that some parts in MCU2 (let alone MCU1) are no longer being manufactured, making it difficult for Tesla to make new units. Even simple things like the connectors Tesla has used are difficult to source today (this is from personal experience).

This is a question for any UK owners of older Model S cars who have ordered the MCU upgrade from Tesla.

I have had my P85D since January 2016 now at 95k miles. The problem I have now is that the MCU screen completely failed back in September 2022 and it has the usual yellowing delamination that is common. The MCU itself works but all areas of the touch screen are non-responsive meaning I can't access any car functions and can only control a limited set via the Tesla App. Oddly after various software upgrades that have happened over the past month, the screen has then worked for a day but not on subsequent days from then on. I'm not 100% convinced it's entirely a hardware issue but more a combo of hardware and software. Most frustratingly the DAB radio is stuck on Heart 80's thanks to my wife and is slowly driving me insane.

I ordered the MCU upgrade via the Tesla App back in the first week of September 2022 via our local Tesla centre in Northampton. This appointment has been put back 4 times now to 28th February 2023 and I suspect likely to be delayed further. Tesla is stating they are waiting for parts and little further information is provided.

Naturally, this is frustrating as for me it's not just an upgrade it's actually a safety thing i.e. I have been reduced to sticking electrical tape on the windscreen over the camera to force the lights on foggy days. I am also somewhat concerned that the MOT test will fail when it's due as the tester won't be able to test the basic functions of the car.

Another frustration is I cannot sell the car privately easily in its present state and the Tesla trade-in price is some £10k below what I'd achieve on Autotrader.

So I'm now nearly at the end of month 5 of waiting with no real end in sight and with the MOT test date creeping up slowly.

Is anyone else experiencing these MCU upgrade delays from Tesla? If so how long have you been waiting?

Has anyone recently had the MCU fitted and if so what was your wait time?

Has anyone else experienced the same failure?

Any other bright ideas?
I booked mine in for the mcu upgrade was suppose to get it done on Monday and now its been pushed back to March, funnily enough I happen to book it with the same Tesla Centre so I'm wondering if rescheduling with another centre would change anything? Or even if I can try a different centre.
Please do let us know how you get on.

I ordered mine in September last year and it was finally installed yesterday after 8 cancelled appointments. I had the radio module installed as well but that is not appearing on the network so have another appointment next week to sort that out. I was beginning to think i would never get it done.

I booked mine in for the mcu upgrade was suppose to get it done on Monday and now its been pushed back to March, funnily enough I happen to book it with the same Tesla Centre so I'm wondering if rescheduling with another centre would change anything? Or even if I can try a different centre.
Please do let us know how you get on.
So just a quick update,
Finally got the MCU upgrade done, took 2 days so be prepared not to have your car for a couple of days and check the dashboard and trims to make sure it's all put together correctly and everything works. My driver side vent wasnt working but they fixed the issue the next day.
Anyway apart from that I'm really happy with it and definitely worth it.

Although I do miss Radio 1Xtra In the mornings 😅