Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S No power to Passenger Door windows and side mirror

LTUAE42

Jun 22, 2019
Schuylerville NY 12871
Help for no reason my passenger side of the car went dead yesterday. The doors wont present or open from the outside and the windows will not function. The side mirror is also not functioning with no door lights too. Tesla suggested it could be the ground stud. I pulled the frunk and the ground stud looks fine. The headlights work too. The only thing dead is from the passenger door to the back door on the passenger side. When I open the door from the inside the window drops like its suppose to and goes back up when the door is shut so there is power . I am so confused what it could be. I looked at the wiring going to the door and I dont see any damage from mice etc. any idea ?? i cant afford an expensive diagnostics and the first opening at Tesla is the end of the month and I drive my car every day. Thanks for any help.

Cal1

Sep 22, 2013
Battle Ground WA
I'd start with examining the fuse box to see how it's wired. Should be labeled and you'll be able to see if there is a common fuse to this issue. Would seem weird to have different fuses for each side but I've seen stranger designs. Try unplugging and reconnecting door plugs on the affected side and see if things change. A little carbon buildup can cause really crazy stuff. In the old days we used to use an eraser to clean male spade lug tips. It's weak advice but something to try until you get someone who really knows the wiring.

LTUAE42

Jun 22, 2019
Schuylerville NY 12871
I'd start with examining the fuse box to see how it's wired. Should be labeled and you'll be able to see if there is a common fuse to this issue. Would seem weird to have different fuses for each side but I've seen stranger designs. Try unplugging and reconnecting door plugs on the affected side and see if things change. A little carbon buildup can cause really crazy stuff. In the old days we used to use an eraser to clean male spade lug tips. It's weak advice but something to try until you get someone who really knows the wiring.
Been working with Tesla today on the phone and they are pointing to The door control unit or the wire harness itself. No way to tell till they get it in the shop and look at it. I checked the fuses and the ground and it all looks good. I cant change the control modular myself because I would need a system called tool box that I dont have. They use that to program the modular. I was going to buy a used one online and replace myself but I dont think I can now. Cost is 350 for the modular and 58 for labor. It never ends

Cal1

Sep 22, 2013
Battle Ground WA
Just start by unplugging and reconnecting everything. This is truly where service will start. Used to repair test equipment in the AF. It's easy to do and quick. Especially good if you have intermittent harness connector issues.

MatthewC

Jan 22, 2021
UK
Hi I have what seems to be the identical problem - after not driving the car for a few weeks, and a spell of cold weather the passenger side door handles front and rear don't present, the mirror doesn't fold, and the window controls don't operate.
Were you able to find a resolution ? thanks in advance.

Gtech

Dec 4, 2016
Netherlands, Berkel en Rodenrijs
Been working with Tesla today on the phone and they are pointing to The door control unit or the wire harness itself. No way to tell till they get it in the shop and look at it. I checked the fuses and the ground and it all looks good. I cant change the control modular myself because I would need a system called tool box that I dont have. They use that to program the modular. I was going to buy a used one online and replace myself but I dont think I can now. Cost is 350 for the modular and 58 for labor. It never ends

Maybe a lucky shot but the door grommets are also a weak spot for wires in the model S.

Check this person's door wiring harness:

Rear door wont open if front door is open

LTUAE42

Jun 22, 2019
Schuylerville NY 12871
Hi I have what seems to be the identical problem - after not driving the car for a few weeks, and a spell of cold weather the passenger side door handles front and rear don't present, the mirror doesn't fold, and the window controls don't operate.
Were you able to find a resolution ? thanks in advance.
I go in 3 feb to have it fixed. It is the wire harness or the door control module. more then likely its a broken wire in the wire harness. I spent thelast few days trouble shooting the ground etc. Tesla tech said based on experiences it is typically the wire harness. Door control modules dont brake that often. The wire harness is a little over $200 and labor about $195 for the repair . I will let you know the final when they do the work.

LTUAE42

Jun 22, 2019
Schuylerville NY 12871
Latham Tesla service station figured out the problem today and fixed it. The door handle passenger side shorted and blew the fuse to the door control module killing power to both passenger doors. They replaced the the door handle and fuse and final price with diagnostics was 472.00 PS after I picked up the car my Chip went bad and my touch screen stop working right. I had no music or heat control. I called them and they had me return the car for the recall with the chip. I am back in the loaner Tesla and was told sometime next week they will have my chip replaced . Goodtimes

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC