Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S P85DL+ w/nice stereo, MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a copy/paste from my Craigslist ad.

For sale is my 2015 Tesla Model S P85D. I just bought a newer Model S so I must part with this one. I purchased it used from Tesla in October 2019 and it has been a great car. I have tracked the battery health and the car's history using TeslaFi. Battery health is among the best for its age. Though Tesla will not tell me the full history of the car, I believe the battery was replaced shortly before I purchased it as the rated range of the battery was near new - not consistent with a 4 year old car. When I had Tesla mobile service replace my 12v battery I asked his opinion and he said "the underside looks too clean to be 6 years old." It still charges relatively fast for an 85kwh car. I can supercharge at up to 125kw with a normal taper. In other words, this isn't one of the voltage capped or nerfed 85kwh batteries you may have read about.

The P85D was the original "supercar killer" and this one has had the Ludicrous speed upgrade done. It is also one of the last P85D cars to have the performance plus suspension which really is fantastic. The subzero package includes the heated steering wheel and heated rear seats (as well as the heated front seats). Premium connectivity is free for life. It has Autopilot version 1 (AP1) which works very well - better than my newer car in my opinion. I will really miss its consistency.

The car did not include the factory ultra high fidelity stereo so I spent a fair amount upgrading the stereo to a much better system with the following components:

- Audison AP8.9 bit amp/DSP for front 3-way components (520w)
- NVX BDA7501 subwoofer amp (750w)
- Audiofrog GS60 front midbass
- Audiofrog GS25 front midrange
- Audiofrog GS10 front tweeters
- NVX 10" subwoofer in Model S specific enclosure
- RAAMmat BXT and ensolite sound damping

The amps and speakers were professionally installed with a focus on keeping everything looking factory and hidden. I didn't want an obnoxious showy car. Their extra power does not impact the car's range. I applied lots of sound damping material in the doors and rear hatch. I would say it is now as quiet as a newer Tesla. I also installed a Model S specific IRO dash cam. This camera blends into the rear view mirror mount and runs while the car is driving. The car also has a small drawer under the center screen - nice for keeping sunglasses, toll pass, parking cards, etc.

These cars need very little maintenance, but I replaced the front pads and rotors with Bosch parts in Mar 2020 as I found the originals were partially seized in the calipers. I recently (Aug 2022) replaced the cabin filter again and I just replaced the paddle gear for the driver's front door handle. I proactively replaced the HID bulbs in Feb 2021 with Philips Xenarc Nightbreaker Laser bulbs. They are very bright white. The 12v battery was replaced by Tesla in Jan 2021. I have already done the MCU2 upgrade (infotainment upgrade). It was worth every penny. I have kept the car garaged in the time I've owned it. I applied a CQuartz UK ceramic coating to it and have kept it up with Carpro Reload. I have only done waterless car washes myself in the garage. The car has a recent (Dec 2022) VA safety inspection and has a clean Carfax. All features work as they should and the car drives very well. I have the title in hand ready for sale. The car is still under its battery and drive unit warranty until March 10, 2023.

Feature list:
- Dual induction motor (large rear motor)
- 85kwh battery
- Ludicrous speed upgrade
- Performance plus suspension
- Autopilot w/convenience features
- Subzero package w/heated steering wheel + heated rear seats
- MCU2 w/LTE
- GPS enabled Homelink garage door opener
- Panoramic sunroof
- Pay per use supercharging
- Dark ash trim
- Tan leather next gen seats
- Alcantara headliner
- Powered liftgate
- Blue metallic paint
- 19" Cyclone wheels
- Michelin MXM4 tires

Priced to sell at $40,000.

Attachments

• 9S2A0211 (Large).JPG
    9S2A0211 (Large).JPG
    400.1 KB · Views: 760
  • 9S2A0212 (Large).JPG
    9S2A0212 (Large).JPG
    440.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 9S2A0213 (Large).JPG
    9S2A0213 (Large).JPG
    348.4 KB · Views: 198
  • 9S2A0214 (Large).JPG
    9S2A0214 (Large).JPG
    366.4 KB · Views: 207
  • 9S2A0215 (Large).JPG
    9S2A0215 (Large).JPG
    429.8 KB · Views: 210
  • 9S2A0216 (Large).JPG
    9S2A0216 (Large).JPG
    431.5 KB · Views: 209
  • 9S2A0217 (Large).JPG
    9S2A0217 (Large).JPG
    453.4 KB · Views: 217
  • 9S2A0218 (Large).JPG
    9S2A0218 (Large).JPG
    409.4 KB · Views: 208
  • 9S2A0220 (Large).JPG
    9S2A0220 (Large).JPG
    343.8 KB · Views: 197
  • 9S2A0219 (Large).JPG
    9S2A0219 (Large).JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 208
Here are some more pics.

Attachments

• 9S2A0221 (Large).JPG
    9S2A0221 (Large).JPG
    251.5 KB · Views: 200
  • 9S2A0222 (Large).JPG
    9S2A0222 (Large).JPG
    406.9 KB · Views: 195
  • 9S2A0223 (Large).JPG
    9S2A0223 (Large).JPG
    367.6 KB · Views: 199
  • 9S2A0224 (Large).JPG
    9S2A0224 (Large).JPG
    298.7 KB · Views: 197
  • 9S2A0225 (Large).JPG
    9S2A0225 (Large).JPG
    128 KB · Views: 195
  • 9S2A0227 (Large).JPG
    9S2A0227 (Large).JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 196
  • 9S2A0226 (Large).JPG
    9S2A0226 (Large).JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 195
  • 9S2A0228 (Large).JPG
    9S2A0228 (Large).JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 221
  • 9S2A0229 (Large).JPG
    9S2A0229 (Large).JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 223
  • 9S2A0230 (Large).JPG
    9S2A0230 (Large).JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 296
And a few more, along with screenshots of the features and a TeslaFi battery report.

Attachments

• 9S2A0231 (Large).JPG
    9S2A0231 (Large).JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 299
  • 9S2A0232 (Large).JPG
    9S2A0232 (Large).JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 272
  • Screenshot 2022-12-30 162331 (Large).png
    Screenshot 2022-12-30 162331 (Large).png
    276.9 KB · Views: 222
  • 9S2A0233 (Large).JPG
    9S2A0233 (Large).JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 234
  • Screenshot 2022-12-30 162750 (Large).png
    Screenshot 2022-12-30 162750 (Large).png
    257.5 KB · Views: 215
This is a copy/paste from my Craigslist ad.

For sale is my 2015 Tesla Model S P85D. I just bought a newer Model S so I must part with this one. I purchased it used from Tesla in October 2019 and it has been a great car. I have tracked the battery health and the car's history using TeslaFi. Battery health is among the best for its age. Though Tesla will not tell me the full history of the car, I believe the battery was replaced shortly before I purchased it as the rated range of the battery was near new - not consistent with a 4 year old car. When I had Tesla mobile service replace my 12v battery I asked his opinion and he said "the underside looks too clean to be 6 years old." It still charges relatively fast for an 85kwh car. I can supercharge at up to 125kw with a normal taper. In other words, this isn't one of the voltage capped or nerfed 85kwh batteries you may have read about.

The P85D was the original "supercar killer" and this one has had the Ludicrous speed upgrade done. It is also one of the last P85D cars to have the performance plus suspension which really is fantastic. The subzero package includes the heated steering wheel and heated rear seats (as well as the heated front seats). Premium connectivity is free for life. It has Autopilot version 1 (AP1) which works very well - better than my newer car in my opinion. I will really miss its consistency.

The car did not include the factory ultra high fidelity stereo so I spent a fair amount upgrading the stereo to a much better system with the following components:

- Audison AP8.9 bit amp/DSP for front 3-way components (520w)
- NVX BDA7501 subwoofer amp (750w)
- Audiofrog GS60 front midbass
- Audiofrog GS25 front midrange
- Audiofrog GS10 front tweeters
- NVX 10" subwoofer in Model S specific enclosure
- RAAMmat BXT and ensolite sound damping

The amps and speakers were professionally installed with a focus on keeping everything looking factory and hidden. I didn't want an obnoxious showy car. Their extra power does not impact the car's range. I applied lots of sound damping material in the doors and rear hatch. I would say it is now as quiet as a newer Tesla. I also installed a Model S specific IRO dash cam. This camera blends into the rear view mirror mount and runs while the car is driving. The car also has a small drawer under the center screen - nice for keeping sunglasses, toll pass, parking cards, etc.

These cars need very little maintenance, but I replaced the front pads and rotors with Bosch parts in Mar 2020 as I found the originals were partially seized in the calipers. I recently (Aug 2022) replaced the cabin filter again and I just replaced the paddle gear for the driver's front door handle. I proactively replaced the HID bulbs in Feb 2021 with Philips Xenarc Nightbreaker Laser bulbs. They are very bright white. The 12v battery was replaced by Tesla in Jan 2021. I have already done the MCU2 upgrade (infotainment upgrade). It was worth every penny. I have kept the car garaged in the time I've owned it. I applied a CQuartz UK ceramic coating to it and have kept it up with Carpro Reload. I have only done waterless car washes myself in the garage. The car has a recent (Dec 2022) VA safety inspection and has a clean Carfax. All features work as they should and the car drives very well. I have the title in hand ready for sale. The car is still under its battery and drive unit warranty until March 10, 2023.

Feature list:
- Dual induction motor (large rear motor)
- 85kwh battery
- Ludicrous speed upgrade
- Performance plus suspension
- Autopilot w/convenience features
- Subzero package w/heated steering wheel + heated rear seats
- MCU2 w/LTE
- GPS enabled Homelink garage door opener
- Panoramic sunroof
- Pay per use supercharging
- Dark ash trim
- Tan leather next gen seats
- Alcantara headliner
- Powered liftgate
- Blue metallic paint
- 19" Cyclone wheels
- Michelin MXM4 tires

Priced to sell at $40,000.
I guarantee the battery isn’t new/replaced it’s just that 85 batteries hardly degrade. I have a friend that has over 120K miles and it’s still getting almost the same range at 100% charge when he bought it new in 2014. All my friends that have owned Tesla’s all say that the P85D was the best Tesla they ever owned and made by Tesla. They also don’t have any build quality issues that are rampant in the last few years especially. Minimal issues, hardly any battery degrading etc makes it by far the most reliable Tesla too own. So I’m specifically looking for a P85D only and one that has FUSC that transfers.

My only concerns with this one is that it has ludicrous, the aftermarket stereo and no FUSC. How is that possible if it has freed connectivity? I thought that went hand in hand with FUSC? The miles are higher than I prefer but I’ve seen some in other countries with 200k-300K miles on the original battery.
Who installed the stereo etc? I know some legit Tesla companies do, but it’s expensive af cuz I believe they run a separate battery just for it. Also the issue with the 85 batteries we’re fixed years ago with owners all being upgraded too 90 batteries. So the issues that turned the most reliable battery into becoming skeptical for owners to buy any 85 battery Tesla has been resolved but still damaged the reputation of 85 batteries as the best battery to have, unfortunately for sellers but not for buyers since it has effected their values ever since. When the reality is it’s much better than the first few years of the 90 batteries Trsla used. That get the same range as the 85 battery which makes no sense. Only the facelift P90D had upgraded range of like 20 miles. What range does it show at 100%? You can only know by actually changing it too 100% cuz the apps are not accurate with what they say it gets when only charged too 80%. They usually get several miles less once it actually reaches 100%.
Also where are you located? And can you message me your info I can’t seem to message anyone.

Here’s my friends P85D with 120K miles that this app shows the battery health to a certain extent. That with the fact that he’s getting almost 234 miles of range on full charge is directly correlated to the health of the battery.

Just like yours still gets 120kw+ at a supercharger is also a direct correlation that the battery is still healthy or Tesla will limit it with an update without your knowledge. You will never find a battery that can pull that much kw and not retain most of its original range just like if there is a lot of range loss you will most likely never get above 100kw even for a short time at any supercharger.
344B8BC8-2243-4B77-9051-89A01FC3795D.jpeg

I purchased the car used from Tesla in 2019. They always remove FUSC on used cars. They started to remove free premium connectivity shortly after I bought my car, I believe, so I still have that.

It's true that the 85kwh batteries are pretty stable if they weren't part of batterygate/chargegate, especially compared to the 90kwh v1 and v2 packs. My battery pack has no sticker. I asked Tesla about the battery history and they would only tell me my car is a P85D.

The stereo was installed by Driven Mobile in Chantilly, VA back in January of 2020. My car was the "cheap" one in their shop next to a McLaren and an E-Type Jaguar. They closed a few months after the install when the owner moved to the west coast. Only the refresh cars with the 16v accessory battery require a second battery to run additional amplifiers.

My last charge to 100% was on 11/25. Just shy of 240 miles. Normally I keep the battery at 90% and charge to 100% 6-8 times a year when I take road trips. I know you and many people are keen on FUSC, but I've only spent about $100/yr to supercharge the car.

1672655987173.png

I am in Springfield, VA. I'll send you a message.

The EPA apparently never updated the range for the P90D model S in 2015 vs their range for the P85D. They both say 253 which is wrong. However, the actual sticker from my late 2015 P90D build actually says 253. Strange indeed when the car is now 7 years old and I believe the max charge at 100% is 265. So either Tesla tweaked a few things software wise over the years or these 90 batteries are also very resistant to calendar aging. Many have stated these batteries built in 2015 are the best, and only degrade through charging cycles. This argument would apply to my car as the odometer states 6800 miles while showing .06 degradation. This would put a hole in the theory that v1 p90d batteries were problematic. @wk057 has stated something to the effect of the 2015 s was one of the best made. Here are a few screenshots. The bottom line is this looks like a good buy for a 2015 w Luda. I’d buy it if I was in the market!
36AB341A-3CC4-4A3E-B5FB-00BF33D1A55F.jpeg
F257F6E9-B6EB-487D-BA22-81A9ABA1694E.jpeg

Attachments

• F7D3DEE7-037A-497E-BEEA-7CB740E923A6.png
    F7D3DEE7-037A-497E-BEEA-7CB740E923A6.png
    299.4 KB · Views: 188
This would put a hole in the theory that v1 p90d batteries were problematic.

I don't have much personal experience with the P90D batteries, but there are a lot of threads on TMC that discuss how the V1 and V2 90kWh batteries are very flawed, and only the V3 90kWh batteries are stable. In other words, I really don't think it's just a theory they are problematic. It's well documented.

I don't have much personal experience with the P90D batteries, but there are a lot of threads on TMC that discuss how the V1 and V2 90kWh batteries are very flawed, and only the V3 90kWh batteries are stable. In other words, I really don't think it's just a theory they are problematic. It's well documented.
I wouldn’t mind being pointed to a few of these threads on the v1 90 problems. Are you referring to slowed supercharging or just the overall battery failing? I haven’t been able to get more than 112kwh supercharging but I do have a newer charger opening soon near where I live. It will be interesting to test it on those new chargers.

I wouldn’t mind being pointed to a few of these threads on the v1 90 problems. Are you referring to slowed supercharging or just the overall battery failing? I haven’t been able to get more than 112kwh supercharging but I do have a newer charger opening soon near where I live. It will be interesting to test it on those new chargers.

Again, I don't have personal experience and didn't participate in those threads, but I'm sure you can search for them here, or someone else can direct you. I'm pretty sure it's well covered in the Tesla media, too.

P.S. Apologies to @beatle for the thread hijack, but I felt like I needed to respond to these accusations. Thank you.

edit to add: I just noticed your Teslafi battery health chart.
As you said you think your battery was replaced shortly before you bought it. If that's the case, it sure looks like to me that your new 85kWh battery is getting...wait for it....253 miles of range at a full charge. Especially compared to the fleet getting 245 miles in late 2019, and less than 235 at the end of 2022. Right in line with everything I posted above.

I'd assert that without a doubt, this battery was replaced in 2019.

1672775257731.png

Reactions: xAgyex and chris71
I didn't mention this in the original post as I didn't believe it to be true, but after checking with Tesla, the car actually has an extended warranty until October 11, 2023. I thought I purchased the car with a 2 year warranty, but it's a pleasant surprise to see that it's 4. I guess I could have saved myself $6 and an hour of my time replacing the paddle gear in the driver's handle last week.

You can see the warranty in the screenshot from my Tesla account in the 3rd post. This would cover everything other than the battery and drive units whose warranty expires March 10, 2023.

Thanks, I think there's a lot of real value here for the next owner. My 2019 is better in the obvious ways (power, charging speed) but I'd put a lot into the 2015 to make it just as good if not better in other ways. I still miss AP1 every time I'm on the highway with the newer car. There are a lot of upgrades that few cars have (plus suspension, ludicrous, MCU2). Further, not many cars will have any bumper to bumper warranty left, and MCU2 is now $2250. If you are new to Tesla and have not driven a car that's still on MCU1, ensure you know what it's like before saying "yeah, that's not a big deal."

In hindsight I probably should have just kept the P85D while I wait for plaids to drop into my price range in a couple years. With that in mind, anyone want a 2019 Performance for $69k?

Thanks, I think there's a lot of real value here for the next owner.

Yup, for sure! I don't know if I posted here on TMC or FB, but I adore my P85D+ (now P100DL+) and not just because of the bigger battery and Ludicrous. Until Plaid came along, a lot of people believe that the P85D with the Performance Plus suspension was the best car Tesla ever made. And I still believe that! As much as I'd like to have a Plaid, I'm not selling my car or trading up anytime soon. My BIL has always wanted a Model S... I'll run this by him and see where he's at.

Friday bump.

If you're not local to me, fret not. I am willing to help arrange transport. That could be a shipping service of your choice, I can meet you within half a day's drive to a supercharger, or I will pick you up at the airport for a fly and drive. I chose the latter when I bought this car. I flew out to Chicago to pick up the car from Tesla and then drove it home over two days. It was a great way to get acquainted with the car, and I was kind of sad to only drive 30 minutes home when I picked up my 2019.