Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S shutdown again!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was running some errands in town when at a light the car would not move. The gear selections all turned red and wouldn't go into gear. This had happened back in April of this year. I had to get it towed to the service center and a couple days later the rear drive unit was replaced.

So I kept trying to get back in gear but it wouldn't take. I had about 70% charge so I knew it wasn't because of no power. I turned off the a/c to see if that would help. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with it but I was finally able to get it back in gear. I took a route home that had no lights and that I didn't have to really stop, to see if I could make it back home two miles away. On my drive the gears kept turning red and I got every error notification possible. Things like, power reduced service is required, regenerative braking temporarily reduced, automatic emergency braking is disabled, traction control disabled, stability control disabled. I never fully stopped at stop signs and tried to coast as much as possible. I was able to make it home and into my driveway.

When I got home I did a hard reset, not because I thought it would do anything but just so I can tell roadside assistance that I did, in case they ask for it. I contacted roadside via the app and because of the holiday weekend, they weren't able to get anyone that felt comfortable towing the car. I told them that I could wait until Tuesday to contact them again for a tow to the service center that's about 3 miles away.

So my 2015 P85D with 48,399 miles, used vehicle warranty that expires November of this year, battery and drive unit warranty that expires in September of 2023, sits dead in the driveway waiting for a ride to the service station.

Ironically I have an appointment for September 7 to fix a couple other ongoing issues I've been having. The sunroof is getting replaced (don't get me started on that) one of the USB ports aren't working and the rear passenger handle at times extends too much that the door opens.

Any ideas what's causing the current issue now? Could it be the front drive unit this time? Or maybe the battery?

So I just called for a tow today since I wasn't able to get one over the holiday weekend. I went out to the car to get some personal things out and for the heck of it tried to put the car in gear and I was able to. I put it in drive and went up the driveway. I then put it in reverse and went back no problem. No alerts either! Now I'm definitely confused.

Decided to get it towed anyway and see what they find out when they look at it.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
So the tow never showed up last night. They finally showed up this morning but it wasn't a flat bed. I refused to wait for them to locate one so I decided to drive it to the service center about 3 miles away. The tow followed me there and I got there without incident. Crazy.

I had an appointment already to address other issues so they said they'd take a look at the new issue.

• Informative
So the tow never showed up last night. They finally showed up this morning but it wasn't a flat bed. I refused to wait for them to locate one so I decided to drive it to the service center about 3 miles away. The tow followed me there and I got there without incident. Crazy.

I had an appointment already to address other issues so they said they'd take a look at the new issue.
Sorry you’re going through all of this.
Roadside should have been able to see all the errors the car was throwing and have a basic idea of what was wrong. My HV died a couple months ago and they were able to see the errors staring around 1am and told me over the phone the HV was going to be to be replaced. They were correct.

(As for the logs. They’re only kept for 7 days so even if you don’t get an answer from roadside you can message tesla through the app with the time it happened and they can also remotely pull the logs.

Sorry you’re going through all of this.
Roadside should have been able to see all the errors the car was throwing and have a basic idea of what was wrong. My HV died a couple months ago and they were able to see the errors staring around 1am and told me over the phone the HV was going to be to be replaced. They were correct.

(As for the logs. They’re only kept for 7 days so even if you don’t get an answer from roadside you can message tesla through the app with the time it happened and they can also remotely pull the logs.
When I dropped it off the service advisor said he thought it was the front drive unit this time. The rear was replaced a couple months ago.

I called the service center yesterday because I was supposed to get the car back in the afternoon, according to the app. One of the advisors told me that I wasn't going to get it back until the 19th and to come get a loaner. He had no more information. When I went this morning to pick up the loaner, the advisor said they were replacing the rear drive unit again! He couldn't tell me what happened this time.

UPDATE:

I finally got the car back this morning after almost a month in service. According to the invoice, the rear drive unit was in fact replaced again, after being replaced about 5 months earlier. Not going to lie, after this last time I'm a little concerned about driving the car far from home.

I have to say, when I picked up the car it was disgusting. Fingerprints everywhere, small pieces of debris all over and the stuff I had in the console was thrown around the car. Very disappointing.

I still have to return to service on October 12 to address a couple things they didn't finish due to parts. One being the USB port under the armrest not working. They ordered the part for that. Second issue is that when I have the "auto present" setting on, when I walk by the car with the key or when I arrive somewhere and put the car in park the rear passenger side door handle comes out and the door opens. I'm guessing it's protruding so far out that the door opens. They weren't able to replicate the problem while in service since I turned the auto present setting off to not have to deal with it. Will be sure to enable it before dropping it off next time.

• Informative