Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S - Trunk Won't Open When Approached From Behind

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a 2013 Model S until a few weeks ago and just picked up a 2015 CPO.

Previously when I approached the 2013 from behind, the doors would not unlock but the car would allow me to open the rear trunk using the button under the liftgate Tesla logo.

Now with the 2015 this no longer works.

I was just in Tesla service and they mention that this is a little different on different model year cars and that my car is working as designed. They say the sensor is in a different position.

Can anyone help either verify this is true or debunk this statement? My VIN is 78xxx.

I have a 2015 Model S P90D, and when I approach from the rear, the door handles do not present, however I can definitely open the trunk using the handle (button) on the outside of the liftgate.

I would try a new battery in your fob. If that doesn't work, then I would suspect it's an issue with the rear facing fob antenna. That being said, it may have been a known issue with the 85 that got corrected in the 90. My VIN is 10xxxx.

You should be able to upen the trunk (even though the door will not unlock/present) when standing with the fob behind the car. This has worked on all Teslas I've ever driven (my own and loaners) spanning years 2013-2017 and most models except for 100's, (haven't driven one yet). As JonnyG said, try new battery, make sure you reboot the main screen too. If still not working, contact you SC.

Reactions: JohnnyG
I back my car into the garage, in the far spot. To get to it I walk behind my first car and then approach from the rear side. I then walk behind the car to the other side to unplug the car, however at this point the car is not unlocked so I can't remove the power plug.

If I follow exactly the same course, however I stop behind the car and open the liftgate, the car unlocks and then opens the gate.

So it knows I'm back there, however it won't automatically unlock the car and the plug until I get closer to an actual door.

Reactions: JohnnyG
I back my car into the garage, in the far spot. To get to it I walk behind my first car and then approach from the rear side. I then walk behind the car to the other side to unplug the car, however at this point the car is not unlocked so I can't remove the power plug.

If I follow exactly the same course, however I stop behind the car and open the liftgate, the car unlocks and then opens the gate.

So it knows I'm back there, however it won't automatically unlock the car and the plug until I get closer to an actual door.
That is normal operation (not the issue that the OP described). The car or charge port does not unlock when you are directly behind the car. There is no fob antenna by the charge port. You have to do the two-step forward-backwards towards the front to unlock the charge port. I've been doing this for close to 4 years now (two step or click the fob in my pocket).
Lets see your garage!

The MS uses at least 7!! antennas to detect a key fob. The car apparently looks for in-range key fob motion between at least two of them.
In my 2015 there are only six - 2 inside, 1 in the very front of the frunk, 1 in the very back of the liftgate, and 1 on each side near the side view mirror (pop the little plastic cover that covers the side of dashboard when the door is open). I haven't taken apart the 2017 (at least yet), but where did you find 1+ more?

In my 2015 there are only six - 2 inside, 1 in the very front of the frunk, 1 in the very back of the liftgate, and 1 on each side near the side view mirror (pop the little plastic cover that covers the side of dashboard when the door is open). I haven't taken apart the 2017 (at least yet), but where did you find 1+ more?

The 7th is a rectangular antenna on the heel board of the back seat. Or if you already counted this one as "inside", the 7th is the "dead key fob" antenna just behind the windshield near the passenger side windshield wiper.

This is for the pre-refresh MS. I can't confirm that is the case for the current version.

That is normal operation (not the issue that the OP described). The car or charge port does not unlock when you are directly behind the car. There is no fob antenna by the charge port. You have to do the two-step forward-backwards towards the front to unlock the charge port. I've been doing this for close to 4 years now (two step or click the fob in my pocket).
Lets see your garage!

In that case, I'm confused as to why I can open up the hatchback standing directly behind the car. It detects the keyfob there. But it doesn't detect the keyfob when next to the charge port.

Lets see your garage!
And that design, of not allowing the charge port door to open when you come directly to it, was stupid. I'd like to meet the person responsible for that decision and smack the piss out of him.

Thanks for all of the input.

I went into the service centre today and showed them the behaviour (again) and they finally admitted it is a problem and should not behave like it is. They have checked all of the antennas and say they are fine so they are not sure what might be the cause.

I'll post again tomorrow when I hopefully will get the car back fixed with an explanation of what was wrong.

Reactions: Duke-U
The 7th is a rectangular antenna on the heel board of the back seat. Or if you already counted this one as "inside", the 7th is the "dead key fob" antenna just behind the windshield near the passenger side windshield wiper.

This is for the pre-refresh MS. I can't confirm that is the case for the current version.
My 2015 is pre-refresh as well. I didn't count the "deal key fob" antenna as it doesn't function as a regular antenna - when I disconnected the passenger side antenna the car would not present when approached from the passenger side, not even when I tapped the handles while standing next to the front passenger door with the fob. I always assumed it works on a different principle (rfid?) to be able to work without battery power in the fob.

And that design, of not allowing the charge port door to open when you come directly to it, was stupid. I'd like to meet the person responsible for that decision and smack the piss out of him.
No argument on the fact that it would be very convenient to have an antenna by the charge port and have the port unlock when pressed with keyfob next to it (like the liftgate). It seems like a possible omission rather than a conscious decision though (maybe Elon doesn't back his cars in ;)), or maybe max 6 antennas can be connected to the security module.

This is a known bug with all facelift cars and "Energy Saving" mode. If you don't have energy-saving turned on, I believe the car should unlock.

I first discovered the problem on 2 September when I took delivery of my P90DL. I parked this in my garage next to my wife's 2014 P85. With both keys in my pocket I could approach the older car and unlock the trunk using the button on the car; however, the newer car would not let me open the trunk.

I took my car to the service centre (I had other problems with the car) and the technician did extensive testing - and discovered that all facelift cars behave the same way. The problem was reported to Fremont and has been escalated. I asked the Tesla Europe director about this last week, at a Tesla event in the UK, and he confirmed it was a known problem - but that there was currently no fix. He hinted it might require a software update.

Why just the facelift cars? Possibly something to do with the new bumper design. There is a rear antenna behind the bumper that's supposed to detect your keyfob. However, in "energy saving mode" perhaps this particular antenna is inactive? Who knows? Anyway, it's something that has been annoying me at least twice a day for the past six months!!!

... I always assumed it works on a different principle (rfid?) to be able to work without battery power in the fob.
My understanding is that the proximity function of the fob doesn't work without battery power. I'm pretty sure a couple members here have tried completely removing the battery and it didn't work in either of the low battery positions (lower windshield / below cup holders). Those two spots are for when the battery gets extremely low, but still enough juice to power the transmitter. The range of the transmission of the fob would be greatly reduced, but still enough to be picked-up by the car if placed directly next to an antenna.