Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 MS 70D Odd Tire Wear Pattern

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All-

I have a 2015 MS 70D with about 63k miles. About 9 months ago (17k miles) new Michelin MXM4 tires were installed. Fronts are nearly new, rear passenger is about 6/32.

Rear Driver side is fairly worn, but mostly in the middle of the tread, down to the wear bars, as if I had this tire over inflated. I’m a bit of a stickler for this type of routine maintenance and didn’t have much of a reason to rotate the tires until I took the rear tire off and found this absurdly odd wear. I keep them at 45PSI cold. Thoughts?

All-

I have a 2015 MS 70D with about 63k miles. About 9 months ago (17k miles) new Michelin MXM4 tires were installed. Fronts are nearly new, rear passenger is about 6/32.

Rear Driver side is fairly worn, but mostly in the middle of the tread, down to the wear bars, as if I had this tire over inflated. I’m a bit of a stickler for this type of routine maintenance and didn’t have much of a reason to rotate the tires until I took the rear tire off and found this absurdly odd wear. I keep them at 45PSI cold. Thoughts?
When was the last time you had your alignment checked? I have the same car with coil suspension, I’m on my 4th set of tires with over 107k miles. I’ve had both 19” and 21” tires ... I’m back on the 19s after 2 sets with the 21s ... I recall the rear tires generally wearing out faster than the fronts. Also have you been rotating your tires? Last recommendation I had for the 19s was every 5k miles.

I was going to rotate them myself in March but covid hit and I couldn't purchase the rennstand jack stands. Now I am not trying to make an excuse, but I feel that if I was rotating them, I wouldn't have found either a suspension issue or alignment issue.

I don't over-inflate my tires as some people do. Would a broken band/belt in the tire cause something like this?

Yesterday, when I found this, the tire was actually running a bit low at 42psi cold.