Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 MS 90D front windshield replace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like my insurance is recommending Safelite.

I been reading threads on conflicting info. Does safelite offer some form of decent mounting where Tesla's AP1 camera will be able to self-calibrate after 30-100 miles? I have read conflicting statements through prior threads on this forum, wondering if anyone has any more up to date experiences with Safelite around Tesla windshield swaps.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Noting here for future folks, if you have a 2013-2017 MS and you do a replace with Safelite make sure the work order form has this part from my attached pic on it and looks like this. First time through right up until day before my appointment date they had order the wrong windshield sadly so this may help you in the future. If your in South Carolina there are laws in place to ensure you get 1 free windshield replacement a year too I believe deductible free.

Also note that if you installed an aftermarket tint on the windshield that insurance will typically cover replacing that as well free of charge(at least for me its looking like it).

Best,
Jeremy

Attachments

• SafeLiteRepairWorkOrder.png
    SafeLiteRepairWorkOrder.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: TWoodstream
Noting here for future folks, if you have a 2013-2017 MS and you do a replace with Safelite make sure the work order form has this part from my attached pic on it and looks like this. First time through right up until day before my appointment date they had order the wrong windshield sadly so this may help you in the future. If your in South Carolina there are laws in place to ensure you get 1 free windshield replacement a year too I believe deductible free.

Also note that if you installed an aftermarket tint on the windshield that insurance will typically cover replacing that as well free of charge(at least for me its looking like it).

Best,
Jeremy
Cracked windshield on my 2016 MS90D replaced by Tesla. However, Tesla provided the glass and a subcontractor (perhaps Safelite; I saw the guy doing it) replaced it. No recalibration that i know of unless done behind the scenes. In Florida everything is covered by insurance on windshield replacement.

@Ciaopec Did you have AP1 or AP2? Did you notice it not behaving correctly for the first 30-100 miles?

Also noting for folks above that windshield IS for my model car from the work order I attached but didn't support the AP1 camera stuff.... Soooo Safelite for the SECOND time is having to re-order and deliver yet another windshield up and pushed out my replacement date. Fun times.

Post wrap up. I think safellite installed an Aftermarket windshield even though the workorder said Tesla OEM lol. But the good news is my AP 1 camera seems to just work OOTB right after they installed it. No calibration or resetting or anything needed. No real drift or weirdness with it that it didn't have before(its always sometimes bounced around in the lane a little, never been totally perfect). Overall besides ordering the wrong part a few times I am happy with the repair and outcome!

Went through this and safelite was my choice. I requested an oem front window price difference and she said it was accepted and my deductible is still just $50. It takes 6-8 weeks to get it, but it’ll be oem and covered without paying out of pocket.

Tesla quoted me $1350 to replace; they do not work with insurance companies in California.
255056A8-E1AF-4064-8CBE-59564F98FB2A.jpeg

56D9B78A-2091-4A2A-978E-16037FF7BA73.jpeg