Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 P85+ Insane Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at a private party 2015 P85+. 0-60 around 3.1 seconds with Insane mode. Was this a $5k-$10k upgrade like Ludicrous, or did it just come with it in 2015?

Reason I ask is there's a huge difference on kbb when you add Ludicrous mode (which he doesn't have), and there's no option to add Insane mode, is that because it automatically came with it? Basically just trying to gauge FMV. Thanks.

To the best of my knowledge, the P85+ only has 2 modes - chill and standard. My guess is that you’re really looking at a P85D, which has an insane mode, and with a $10k upgrade that was available for a short while, could be had with Ludicrous acceleration.

I’m pretty sure I have the only 2015 P85+ in existence. Around 300 P85s were made with auto pilot, but they were all in the year 2014. If you found another one, please join the 300 club here!

Please post the VIN - that can help us figure out what you have. If you’re getting a P85D for the price of a plus, I say go for it!

Reactions: BGDDYKWL
There is no 2015 P85+. The P85+ is a rear wheel only peformance model that was discontinued in late 2014.

The P85D+ (which doesn't have an actual plus badge) is the P85D with plus suspension. The plus suspension was discontinued in April 2015. All P85Ds made from that point onward have the regular suspension.

The Ludicrous upgrade was available to P85D original owners who purchased new before July of 2015 and had a price of $5K as an attempt to quell the 691-gate fiasco. You could not buy a new P85D with Ludicrous Mode. The upgrade offer was made at the same time as the P90D introduction so if you wanted to buy a new Tesla with Ludicrous you had to buy a P90D.

The ludicrous upgrade lowers the P85D's 0-60 from 3.1 to 2.85. The P85+ from 2014 has an advertised 0-60 of 4.2 but I've seen some as low as 4 seconds.

That offer expired a few years ago so you can't upgrade a P85D to a P85DL anymore.

There are only 3 for sale in the entire country when I checked a few weeks ago. Mine is one of them. PM me if you're interested.

Another reason for the rarity is that in that last year or so, any P85DLs that need battery replacements under warranty get the 90 battery as there were never 85 batteries made with Inconel contactors. The only 85 performance batteries that have the upgraded contactors are ones that were were retrofitted to those batteries.

For a short while, they replaced defective P85DL batteries by taking a new P85D battery and upgrading it, but now they just put a V3 P90DL battery in instead.

Last edited:
I believe insane mode was a cost option for late model P85s.

Insane mode was also a cost option for P85Ds that was superceded or upgradable to Ludicrous.

Don't go by the book. It's a good gauge but pay what YOU are willing to pay based on the market.

For instance, you can get a used tesla from tesla for less than a private party but the private car you can see and meet the seller and know the history and it's been taken car of exceptionally. I would opt for the private party depending on how much more.

To the best of my knowledge, the P85+ only has 2 modes - chill and standard. My guess is that you’re really looking at a P85D, which has an insane mode, and with a $10k upgrade that was available for a short while, could be had with Ludicrous acceleration.

I’m pretty sure I have the only 2015 P85+ in existence. Around 300 P85s were made with auto pilot, but they were all in the year 2014. If you found another one, please join the 300 club here!

Please post the VIN - that can help us figure out what you have. If you’re getting a P85D for the price of a plus, I say go for it!

They made the P85+ in 2015????? Wasn't it discontinued with the introduction of the P85D?

My apologies, it's a P85D, I mistyped the title. Thx for the responses.

So then when looking at kbb I'm just plugging in the standard features, meaning there's no "Insane upgrade" like Ludicrous that would've cost $5k-$10k correct?

Reason I'm asking is kbb has this car around $48k, but when I check the Ludicrous box it jumps to $56k. They say they're asking book at $56k but without Ludicrous $56k isn't book on that car.

So bottom line is the dealer is misrepresenting the car by adding options to kbb that the car doesn't actually have? I never heard of such a thing ;)

Just print out kbb your self and ask them to explain the difference.

When they sell cars, they add stuff that isn't there. When they're looking at taking your car on a tradein, the leae stuff off that IS there. This IS the natural order of the universe.