Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 P85D, 84K... What to worry about....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was trying to have the valet charge it to 100%(to get a mileage number), but they pulled it off at 99%. Then it sat for another 6 hrs and it drained from 99% to 94%. Then I drove it back to Tampa which was about 107 miles.
just gotta say. NEVER. EVER. max charge your car and let it just sit there. It will degrade the battery like no one’s business.

Some of the older 85kw packs actually will stop at 99% and will say charging complete. My old 85 pack would only go to 98% and would say charging complete. After calculating for an hour. On the flip side the valet may have not wanted to wait an hour for calculating to happen and just unplugged with “good enough” but either way please make sure you drive at least 5% Ideally 10% off the pack before parking it after max charging.

Reactions: eakrish
just gotta say. NEVER. EVER. max charge your car and let it just sit there. It will degrade the battery like no one’s business.

Some of the older 85kw packs actually will stop at 99% and will say charging complete. My old 85 pack would only go to 98% and would say charging complete. After calculating for an hour. On the flip side the valet may have not wanted to wait an hour for calculating to happen and just unplugged with “good enough” but either way please make sure you drive at least 5% Ideally 10% off the pack before parking it after max charging.
I don’t plan on maxing it out again. I’m going to see what EG says and I have the SC appt on the 20th

The rapid drain from 99 to 94 may be related to battery cooling; it's been discussed on here by those with far more knowledge than I, but IIRC the car will cool the battery at anything over 90%, which in turn drains the battery more quickly.

Enjoy the car!

@ 90% I think its around 212. It's funny you said check for bugs in the tail lights lol. There is one in ht passenger side inner tail light.

The range of your 2015 P85D, when it was brand new, was 242 miles with 21" tires and 253 miles of range with 19" tires. That's 218 and 228 miles @90% respectively.

Not sure what size tires you have or the car still has the original battery, but 212 looks good.

Last edited: