Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 P85D Battery Degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen this issue covered in many threads but I still don't quite understand it. I am looking at purchasing a used P85D with 30,000 miles that has been driven fairly hard and when charged to 100% it shows a range of 250 miles on the display. My question is whether this number, 250, will be the same throughout the life of the car or if it goes down due to battery degradation. What number did these cars have when new? The car has the 21" staggered wheels. I am trying to figure out the % of degradation for the 30,000 miles.

I have seen this issue covered in many threads but I still don't quite understand it. I am looking at purchasing a used P85D with 30,000 miles that has been driven fairly hard and when charged to 100% it shows a range of 250 miles on the display. My question is whether this number, 250, will be the same throughout the life of the car or if it goes down due to battery degradation. What number did these cars have when new? The car has the 21" staggered wheels. I am trying to figure out the % of degradation for the 30,000 miles.
I believe 253 miles was the original range for P85Ds with 21" tires, not 100% sure though. All batteries will degrade over time, expect 4-8% degradation at 100,000 miles.

Reactions: bhzmark
"When the Tesla Model S P85D debuted, the headline number from the company was that the performance all wheel drive version of the car would get 275 miles of range, a figure that was revised upwards a few weeks later to 285 miles, with the 85D getting 295 miles.

Now to be fair these were not EPA rated miles, but Tesla’s promoted miles at speed (65 mph)"

Model-S-p85d-rpa-range-750x579.jpg

My 2013 S85 (23k miles) with twin chargers gets 257 when fully charged from the wall charger (80 amp).

My June 2015 85D still gets 263 miles at 100% charge after 31,000 miles. I have therefore had minimal degradation in 30K miles. I would not worry about this too much.

I know you two were trying to help, but I just want to point out, for the OP, that you can't compare a P85D with an S85 or an S85D, as both will have better EPA numbers because they lack the P.

I have 26,000 miles on my 2015 P85D and my 90% is 227. I drive it hard and charge to 90% everyday. My 100% is 253, but if you turn on range mode the screen will read 257 or 256. Range mode displays additional 3-4 miles on the dash. Your and my degradation is immaterial.

• Love
Reactions: CSFTN
How does their warranty work? Infinite mileage warranty on the batteries means they will replace it should any degradation occur or is their a number in the fine print we should know about?

Warranty is for breaking things only. If you loose 10 or 15% or even 20% (due to frequent heavy 100% charges) you will not get any warranty for that loss.

Only if something breaks, say: The drive train makes funny noises, or does not work at all all.
Or you loose 20% range in one day to another, you will get it fixed.

There have been people who charged everyday to 100% and are stuck at 80% now after 2 years of usage. They get no fixing by Tesla.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: CSFTN and Andyw2100

Still a relatively new owner (got my CPO MS 85 the last week of December). On a daily basis I charge the car to about 80%. Occasionally, if I know I am taking a longer trip, I will charge the car to 100% but I make sure that the charge finishes within 30 minutes of my departure time so it never really sits at 100% for any length of time.

Is this an appropriate practice to maintain battery health?