Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 P85D Battery Degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still a relatively new owner (got my CPO MS 85 the last week of December). On a daily basis I charge the car to about 80%. Occasionally, if I know I am taking a longer trip, I will charge the car to 100% but I make sure that the charge finishes within 30 minutes of my departure time so it never really sits at 100% for any length of time.

Is this an appropriate practice to maintain battery health?
Yes.

Thanks all. Does this mean the number I see on the display has gone from 285 when new to 250 today? I assume Tesla didn't use the EPA numbers on the range in the car.....or did they?
My P85D reported 253 rated miles @ 100% @ 2,880 miles when I purchased it as "inventory new".

It got a new (not refurb.) battery around 4,500 miles.

I traded it in with 39,000 miles with 242 rated miles @ 100%.

Just another data point.

My 2015 P85D-Ludicrous had 253 Rated Range at 100 percent when first delivered May 28, 2015. On May 12, 2017, 2 years and 11600 miles later, the Rated Range at 100 percent was still 253 miles. My current 90% is 228 on the touch screen (227.80 as reported by Remote S), compared to 227 when newly delivered.

Possibly contributing to this low degradation, other than low mileage: The car has not been driven very hard, has rarely been charged to 100 percent, and has seldom been Supercharged. I usually hook it up to the Tesla 80 amp wall charger when parked, so the battery seldom dips below 65-70 percent, although I had one white knuckle trip where it got down to 11 rated miles. My garage is air conditioned, a favorable factor in Houston's hot weather. None of these range numbers are in Range mode.

My experience suggests that 250 Rated Range after 30,000 miles is quite good. I hope you bought the car.

All batteries degrade over time. That being said, Tesla's battery management computer has means of slowing down this degradation to the point it shouldn't factor or play any role in ownership of the car. The battery will never degrade to a point where you'll end up with an underivable vehicle or even 50% of the previous range. (well maybe if you kept the car for 30 years maybe then).

Still a relatively new owner (got my CPO MS 85 the last week of December). On a daily basis I charge the car to about 80%. Occasionally, if I know I am taking a longer trip, I will charge the car to 100% but I make sure that the charge finishes within 30 minutes of my departure time so it never really sits at 100% for any length of time.

Is this an appropriate practice to maintain battery health?

It's OK to charge at 100% occasionally. Did not change my P85D range a bit - 253 miles at 100%; 21000 miles so far. Note that the daily 90% slowly decreases from 226 to 220 miles. After I do a full charge and longer trip it goes back to 226.

Reactions: BrokerDon
I did buy the car (and I have changed my avatar) Thanks all for helping!!

Congratulations on your awesome purchase! We absolutely LOVE our "unicorn" 2015 P85D with the Plus suspension. Fully loaded Tesla "inventory car" with 2,933 miles on it. Only missing the Ludicrous upgrade but INSANE is SO fast already not missing it... Especially for the $5,000 upgrade cost.

Enjoy!

Oh our P85D has 27,700 miles on it with 30+ Supercharger charges and still gets 253 miles @ 100% and 227 to 228 miles at 90%... negligible battery degradation. 95% of charging is via 60A / 240V on our Tesla High Power Wall Charger in our garage using our P85D's dual chargers. Lowest SoC was 3 miles remaining... Usually try to stay above 15% and prefer 20%.

Last edited:
Mine's not a P85D, it's an S75, but for percentage reasons I can tell you that Tesla advertises 249 miles of range on their site, but my last 100% charge showing rated miles put me at 238 miles. This is a Late June 2016 car with 26,435 miles, which puts me on track for about 5% mileage degradation over 30,000 miles / one year. My 90% is 218 miles.

I don't charge to 100% very often and only recently unlocked the remainder of my battery (I purchased it as an S70 and unlocked a month and a half ago), but I do supercharge quite a bit as I have a 190 mile commute round-trip every other day and only 20A charging at home.

Sorry for bringing this old post up, but I'm a new owner of a 15 P85D. I charged it to 90% a few times and it's reporting 285-287 mile range. Why so high?

Mostly likely your settings are set to "Rated" instead of "Typical"

The only way to drive the actual number of miles in "Rated" is to "drive" the exact EPA test loop in the exact same conditions. Don't use it.

Typical, rated and ideal range explained : teslamotors

My P85D with 37k miles shows 246 miles of range at 100%. Does this seem normal? It only gets charged at superchargers and I always charge to 95-100%. I charge so high because my commute is around 150 miles a day mon-fri.