TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

2015 P85D limited to 100 MPH?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Gforce1, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Gforce1

Gforce1 Member

Hello all. Prospective owner here with a quick question. I am currently renting a P85D to give myself an extended test drive and I noticed the car seems to be limited to 100 MPH after finding an empty stretch of isolated road. Obviously this is no big deal but I was curious if the car was set that way by the owner or if there is something wrong with it? Is there a way to limit the speed on a Model S? The car is not in valet mode and it is not a Tesla loaner. I'm fine with the limit but I didn't think there was a way to add a limit if you wanted to. Mostly curious.....

2. Max*

Max* Banned

I've never heard of a limit either.

3. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

I believe some of the early P85Ds were limited to 135 MPH, but that a part could be changed to get the limit up to the correct 155 MPH (or whatever it is.) I have not heard of a 100 MPH limit.

4. thimel

thimel Member

There is commonly an 80 mph limit on cars loaned out from Tesla dealers. Never heard of a 100 mph limit.

• Like x 1
  5. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

6. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

Check with @lolachampcar . You may have found the other limiter he was positing...

7. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

I have it on good authority that P85Ds can hit well above 100 mph. If the one you're testing bonks at 100, they have either put a limiter on it or it has a mechanical flaw.

• Disagree x 1
  8. scottm

scottm Active Member

Probably not unreasonable that Tesla put a limiter on for the rental company, at their request.

9. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

I also expect that it's a limit imposed by the rental company. That's not at all uncommon. As others pointed out, I'm surprised it's as high as 100mph!

[​IMG]

• Funny x 4
  10. sillydriver

sillydriver Member

I own a 2015 P85D and am quite sure there isn't a 100 MPH limit ... not that I have any hands-on experience in this regard.

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Just another data point...

I've experienced the following:
    - Loaner limit of 80mph.
    - Governor at 132mph on my P85 (@ ~70% SOC).
    - Limiter at ~130mph on my P85D (which was later fixed).
    - "Ran out of road" limit of 143mph on my P85D.

Haven't experienced any limiter ~100mph on any Tesla Model S that I've driven. Haven't pushed my P100D above 80mph yet.

• Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  12. Gforce1

Gforce1 Member

Don't know if this makes a difference or not but currently one of the tires is a 21" loaner from Tesla so since the sensor is not tied to the car it has the tire warning light on. I'm wondering if maybe that is what is limiting it possibly but I figured if that was a thing a search would have turned up something by now. Really has me curious. For the record, being new to driving one of these things and this not being my car I'm perfectly fine with the limit on it right now. Figured out it was limited by accident as it was. Damn this thing gets there fast lol.

• Informative x 1
  13. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy P100D Upgrade complete

Probably best not to go over 100mph with dissimilar tires...

14. Gforce1

Gforce1 Member

The tires all match. 21"turbines.