Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 P85D limited to 100 MPH?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. Prospective owner here with a quick question. I am currently renting a P85D to give myself an extended test drive and I noticed the car seems to be limited to 100 MPH after finding an empty stretch of isolated road. Obviously this is no big deal but I was curious if the car was set that way by the owner or if there is something wrong with it? Is there a way to limit the speed on a Model S? The car is not in valet mode and it is not a Tesla loaner. I'm fine with the limit but I didn't think there was a way to add a limit if you wanted to. Mostly curious.....

I also expect that it's a limit imposed by the rental company. That's not at all uncommon. As others pointed out, I'm surprised it's as high as 100mph!

8c382fd7c09bba28c1df8569fbcf24a1.jpg

Just another data point...

I've experienced the following:
- Loaner limit of 80mph.
- Governor at 132mph on my P85 (@ ~70% SOC).
- Limiter at ~130mph on my P85D (which was later fixed).
- "Ran out of road" limit of 143mph on my P85D.

Haven't experienced any limiter ~100mph on any Tesla Model S that I've driven. Haven't pushed my P100D above 80mph yet.

Don't know if this makes a difference or not but currently one of the tires is a 21" loaner from Tesla so since the sensor is not tied to the car it has the tire warning light on. I'm wondering if maybe that is what is limiting it possibly but I figured if that was a thing a search would have turned up something by now. Really has me curious. For the record, being new to driving one of these things and this not being my car I'm perfectly fine with the limit on it right now. Figured out it was limited by accident as it was. Damn this thing gets there fast lol.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
Don't know if this makes a difference or not but currently one of the tires is a 21" loaner from Tesla so since the sensor is not tied to the car it has the tire warning light on. I'm wondering if maybe that is what is limiting it possibly but I figured if that was a thing a search would have turned up something by now. Really has me curious. For the record, being new to driving one of these things and this not being my car I'm perfectly fine with the limit on it right now. Figured out it was limited by accident as it was. Damn this thing gets there fast lol.

Probably best not to go over 100mph with dissimilar tires...