Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 P90D (range upgrade)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The extra range over the 85 (81 kwh) came from increasing the capacity of the same number and sized cells (unlike the 100 which actually has more cells). The increased capacity was achieved by adding silicon to the anode which allows the anode to absorb more lithium ions but also results in physical expansion far more than just carbon. This extra expansion cracks the anodes over time resulting in loss of capacity.

It's a trade-off. More capacity in same size but shorter battery life. The V1 90 was the worst. I doubt there's a single one left. V2 was better and V3 even better as they revised the formulation to increase longevity without decreasing capacity but the longevity is is still nothing like the those last 400 volt 85s that they made.
Thanks for the reply, are you saying I cannot possibly have the v1 battery? Do you think Tesla replaced this if there are none left? My part number suggests v1 but I could be wrong. Please see attached and thanks in advance !
2006646D-E772-4096-8CCF-B098AF216C6E.jpeg

Ugh oh, do you remember hearing failure at lower mileage? Sounds like you are saying my battery is guaranteed to fail because it wasn’t well made

A V1 battery is pretty rare these days. There were all the threads back in late 2015 to early 2017 of v1 failures. I though they all would have been replaced by now. How many miles do you have? Are you sure your display is set for rated miles and not ideal?

Reactions: tesluv108
I'm not sure if there's a difference between the P and non P 90 V1 packs, but I've got a V1 (March 2016 90D) -- when I got it (used, 3.4 years ago) it charged to 252 at 90%; these days it charges to 245 or 244 at 90%, meaning the maximum range has gone from 280 to 270ish miles. It's been charging to 270 at 100% pretty consistently for the past year; if anything the cold weather's given it slightly more range (now barely 272 instead of 269). But -- realistically -- the speed you drive it at, or the tires, or having the AC / heat on or not is going to have way more impact on the range than the theoretical 90%.

The questions I worry about: Can I drive 200 miles at 80-85mph on normal highways? Does it supercharge from 10% to 70-80% in 30-40 minutes? Mine still does these things, so I don't worry about if the battery is okay or not.

I worry more about the suspension that seems to be made of discount ramen. If I had a P I'd worry about coolant ruining the rear drive unit. I suppose the battery will eventually fail, but by then I'll either still like the car and dump $20k into a new battery or I won't, though I have a hard time imagining a viable replacement for my car that's less than $60k these days.

A V1 battery is pretty rare these days. There were all the threads back in late 2015 to early 2017 of v1 failures. I though they all would have been replaced by now. How many miles do you have? Are you sure your display is set for rated miles and not ideal?

I don't think they've all been replaced. Mine's a V1 and seems fine so far, for some reasonable definition of "fine"

I’m definitely on rated range. I’ve only had the car 8 months I can’t recall going to 100% more than 2x and it said 266 or 267. The car has 6800 miles now and 4300 when I purchased.

I wanted to chime in and say I am a fairly new p90d owner as of earlier in 2022. The brakes squeak on my car and it has 21 turbines. With such low miles I find it hard to believe the pads could be worn enough to make the noise. Anyways, I have a v1 90kwh batt that has been discussed here as a subpar battery. I wonder what makes this a problematic battery and wondering if anyone else could share stories on it? So far it seems to be good only showing minimal degradation and 265-267 depending on weather at 100%. I always wondered why it didn’t show more considering most 85s showed 253 at 100%. I’m hoping to avoid problems w this pack as I paid dearly for the car. Seems to be holding up well just doesn’t supercharge faster than 112kwh.
View attachment 891997
FYI, the brake squeal is a resonance amplified only by the 2" Turbine. Maybe a hollow cast. Plus moist to cold weather.
It´s the combo of these brake pads and the Turbine.
Switching to Arachnid and for example carbon pads silences the wheels.