Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 P90DL (AP1) or 2017 100D (FSD)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GOATMaster

Goat 🐐 Overlord
Supporting Member
Apr 23, 2022
Dallas
I just purchased a 2015 P90DL with AP1 Pano Sunroof with 34,500mi. Gray exterior w/black interor Tan headliner (Carbon Fiber trim), the range is 253 with 100% SoC. The value when up by 8k since I bought it and the dealership said they would take it back and put me in a 2017 100D and I would end up being at the same payment. The 100D had FSD and refresh but no sunroof.

From what I can tell the range would be around 335 for 100D and I would gain FSD, more cameras Sentry Mode, Smart Summon, center console, rear cup holders, refreshed look, better seats, and 2 more years Battery and Motor warranty.

I would lose the amazing acceleration.

I have an appointment to upgrade the P90DL to MCU2 on the 15th of next month however, if I was to get the 100D I could just have them swap that one instead.

Is the FSD computer, other goodies, and range worth losing the 0-60 in your options?

Screenshot_20220521-020323_Tesla.jpg

Screenshot_20220521-020338_Tesla.jpg

Two comments:

Are you certain that the FSD is activated and will actually carry over. Depending upon where the dealer got the car, there is some exposure that the FSD feature may be remain activated when the car ownership record is transferred to you.

Also, you said your payment will stay the same, but is the duration of payments also staying the same? Really gets to is the dealer willing to do a straight up swap of cars, or are the effectively getting more money out of you by extending a payment stream (or them getting a cut of the financing on the front end when you essentially roll a new loan through them).

Now that's not to say I would not do the swap. Quite possible that I would (saying that as an owner of a mid-2016 MS90D). I'd go for the longer range, faster supercharging, and slightly longer battery/drive unit warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO
Depending upon where the dealer got the car, there is some exposure that the FSD feature may be remain activated when the car ownership record is transferred to you.
This isn't a thing. Never once have I seen where a car had FSD paid for and then lost it upon sale to another owner other than cars being traded directly to Tesla and resold. All bets are off in that instance but otherwise not one example exists of cars losing FSD upon private or 3rd party dealership sale. For some reason people love parroting that on this forum though even though nobody has ever once substantiated it happening with proof.

That said, if you're concerned about it, get a screen shot of the display showing FSD included before you buy the car and transfer ownership. Then, if you are the one who has it randomly fall off, you'll have proof that the car you bought had it. I do stuff like this whenever I buy cars not because I think it will happen but because I don't want to be the one who didn't have pictures if it did.

Always have evidence of everything whenever dealing with Tesla. You likely won't need it but better to have an not need than need and not have.

Reactions: SilverGS
This isn't a thing. Never once have I seen where a car had FSD paid for and then lost it upon sale to another owner other than cars being traded directly to Tesla and resold. All bets are off in that instance but otherwise not one example exists of cars losing FSD upon private or 3rd party dealership sale. For some reason people love parroting that on this forum though even though nobody has ever once substantiated it happening with proof.

That said, if you're concerned about it, get a screen shot of the display showing FSD included before you buy the car and transfer ownership. Then, if you are the one who has it randomly fall off, you'll have proof that the car you bought had it. I do stuff like this whenever I buy cars not because I think it will happen but because I don't want to be the one who didn't have pictures if it did.

Always have evidence of everything whenever dealing with Tesla. You likely won't need it but better to have an not need than need and not have.
The OP referenced getting car from "a dealership". Given many cars at dealerships may have been picked up at auction, where you state "all bets are off", is exactly the reason I cautioned the OP to make sure they knew the details.

PSX_20220521_092505.jpg

The OP referenced getting car from "a dealership". Given many cars at dealerships may have been picked up at auction, where you state "all bets are off", is exactly the reason I cautioned the OP to make sure they knew the details.
The screen will show the status of the FSD at the time of purchase. If it shows it has it, then the car has it. There's been a few posts about this allegedly falling off after purchase which is urban legend and has helped to spawn this rumor that Tesla will somehow remove FSD after a car is transferred which has never happened. I invite anyone to prove me wrong with evidence otherwise this rumor needs to die.
This car does NOT have FSD. It has "FSD computer" which isn't the same thing. See where it says "Autopilot, Included package"? That's the base version of the software. Some will say "Enhanced Autopilot, Included Package" which is similar to the software option of "{AP1 Autopilot Convenience Features" or it will say "Full Self-Driving, Included package" which this one does not have. Lots of confusion around this topic and it's the different between $10-$12k value on a car so it's important that buyers understand it fully and NOT rely on sellers. Ever. Especially 3rd party dealerships who don't know the first thing about these cars (75D's listed as 100D's, or Performance cars, etc.) who are all too quick to make it seem like their car is better than it is... by "accident" ... of course.