Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 P90DL Fan Behaviour (Please Save my Sanity)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it occur while charging also?

Keep below 78%. If you need the full charge for your trip, charge just before leaving. Means: time the charging in a way, it reaches 98, 99... percent as you're about to go. Charging, it won't "waste" energy - it'll start to do so, once charging has finished.

This is NOT cool - but it's the way Tesla re-programmed our elder cars to 'work', as of 2021 :(
Doesn't occur when charging at all.
Under it's likely something Tesla has done....but under Australian Law it makes the vehicle illegal for Noise Pollution according to our EPA.

They'll have to do something to resolve. Perhaps a new Proper 90kwh or 100kwh Battery would resolve :)

Doesn't occur when charging at all.
Under it's likely something Tesla has done....but under Australian Law it makes the vehicle illegal for Noise Pollution according to our EPA.

They'll have to do something to resolve. Perhaps a new Proper 90kwh or 100kwh Battery would resolve :)
I'll take one of these packs, too :)

I know it, my car has (started to) do/done the same. Annoying. I'm in the lucky situation to use it 70% -> 40% on a normal day, and so haven't charged it over 70% anyways, on a day to day routine, to keep it around 50%. In summer, I have the charging limit even lower as during winter.

Why did I plan to change that routine? Instead of charging it up to aroung 70% every night, I wanted to charge it more on weekends, to take advantage of my new solar panels. I'd bee able to drive several days with that charge at no cost. Only by mid-week, I'd have to re-charge a bit, using lower priced energy at night. Make it to the next weekend, and do it again. Now, Tesla has pretty much disabled this modus operandi, as the car will waste the power :(

Link Below is the Video Link on what it sounds like from Outside. It's louder than when the Car is charging at a Supercharger.
It will do this for long periods if the Car is above 70% Charge and NOT currently charging.

As you can imagine it's a nightmare at night sleeping near it. Wakes up all the kids etc.

Youtube Video
Yeah, that noise seems crazy for something that's not supercharging. Again, I have never had this behaviour at home 2016 refresh P90DL, at various States of charge from 50 to 90. Occasionally, I would hear the clicking of a contactor, or a small pump noise (almost inaudible). Car parked next to bedroom through gyprock/ drywall for reference. I know that this doesn't help you fix the problem, but at least helps you know you're not crazy.

Yeah, that noise seems crazy for something that's not supercharging. Again, I have never had this behaviour at home 2016 refresh P90DL, at various States of charge from 50 to 90. Occasionally, I would hear the clicking of a contactor, or a small pump noise (almost inaudible). Car parked next to bedroom through gyprock/ drywall for reference. I know that this doesn't help you fix the problem, but at least helps you know you're not crazy.

Thanks for that... Hopefully Tesla have some ideas themselves to resolve somehow.

Just an update... Had a Wedding in CBD Melbourne so Tesla was used as a Wedding Car.
Kept Car in Hotel Basement Valet parking and was losing around 5% of charge in less than 24 Hours (Significant Energy Usage).

When I returned Home today Car is at 37% Per Cent and the Fans have come on at Full Noise Level for a Duration of 5 Minutes or so.
Appears the Intensity of the Noise doesn't get affected by Charge Level.. but the duration/frequency of occurrence may.

I remember hearing the fans running when I inspected the car at auction, but didn’t think too much of it. Maybe fans are just noisier than others similar. impeller might be out of balance/dirty
I've actually replaced one of the fans already because it had a Bearing "Clicking" which I could hear when the Air Con was running etc.
Replacing the Fan resolved the clicking issue.
(This was with a Good Used Fan Same Part Number from another Tesla)

It's really not a massive issue during the day... except for the Power Drain aspect... but most annoying at night obviously when your trying to sleep.

I've actually replaced one of the fans already because it had a Bearing "Clicking" which I could hear when the Air Con was running etc.
Replacing the Fan resolved the clicking issue.
(This was with a Good Used Fan Same Part Number from another Tesla)

It's really not a massive issue during the day... except for the Power Drain aspect... but most annoying at night obviously when your trying to sleep.
Hello again from Australia

Spent 40 Minutes on the phone with a guy from Tesla Service in Sydney after they had escalated by issues further over the weekend.
End Result of the Call was that
- Fans running like this are normal, BMS Operating to reduce temperature & reduce charge level.
- Noise Level is perfectly normal for Higher Mileage Cars that have Battery Packs used with "extensive" Supercharging.
- My Car should be slowed in Supercharge Use/Recharge because of my High Use Battery
- 8 Year Warranty for Battery/Driveline on these cars doesn't cover degradation of 30% etc... Just Battery Failure etc.

I was chastised for charging above 80%... but I indicated I had to charge to keep the fans from running and waking my family etc.

He was a bit flabbergasted when I said the Fans run every 30 minutes or so even at low states of charge.
(Such as 28% to 43% yesterday)

Only solution they have indicated to resolve the issue would be a replacement Battery Pack... Which they are quoting me for.

Needless to say I was pretty displeased. I assume that Tesla may be monitoring these forums but I have indicated that
1) I will be contacting the EPA Victoria to confirm that the Vehicle is operating contrary to Noise Laws
2) I will reserve my right to Legal Action etc.

They know the car, it passed through their Sydney Office as a Trade In of some kind. Flicking it on to Auctions etc without any consideration etc is pretty unconscionable conduct.

Update with some Good News!!!

Tesla Service escalated my issues and found that the Car was never going into sleep mode. They got me to reset my Tesla Account password and remove TeslaFi etc and reset all associated tokens etc at their end so that nothing was polling or allowed to communicate with the Car.

Once this was done at 11:30am I didn't hear the car all day. Took it for a Drive last night, got home at 67% charge and left the Car unplugged in the Driveway.
No Noises All Night... Finally able to sleep :)

I haven't reloaded TeslaFi as yet I'm just going to enjoy the silence for a while :)

Reactions: byeLT4
does TeslaFi monitor and report on Phantom Drain like the Stats app does? My phantom drain is typically around from between 1 and 3 miles when sitting in my home garage/no sentry mode on. So I have a baseline. If I notice that number dramatically increase, I'll know something has gone wrong. (I have a detached garage so I wouldnt hear the fans)

Yes TeslaFi does report on Phantom Drain. Even comes with a funky graphic:
1616119852124.png

Yes TeslaFi does report on Phantom Drain. Even comes with a funky graphic: View attachment 645794
Yes I had pretty extensive phantom drain and lots of Sleep Attempts... but because I was a New Tesla owner I had little idea what that meant.
I will investigate further once I re-activate TeslaFi on the car.

I really want to "prove" that it wasn't TeslaFi that was causing these Sleep issues, but something at Tesla's end.

Further to that, I can confirm that after setting up the sleep settings in TeslaFi, I haven't seen this kind of behaviour. It might be worth attempting to contact previous owner (From that business card) to ask what kind of app he might have been using. I still don't understand how this noise could be caused by anything other than the Climate Control being activated remotely. Anyhow back to enjoying Ludicrous launches without the lack of sleep induced insanity.

Further to that, I can confirm that after setting up the sleep settings in TeslaFi, I haven't seen this kind of behaviour. It might be worth attempting to contact previous owner (From that business card) to ask what kind of app he might have been using. I still don't understand how this noise could be caused by anything other than the Climate Control being activated remotely. Anyhow back to enjoying Ludicrous launches without the lack of sleep induced insanity.

The ironic thing was that turning Climate Control on actually reduced the noises. It made the car quieter.

Anyhow I'm thankful the Car is quiet now!!!