Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Q2 Discussion thread for Delivery numbers, Earnings Report and Conference Call

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the cfo feels the company will be worth hundreds of billions one day, he does not retire usually.
Becoming cfo is probably more than he ever dreamed off, why give it up.

Anyhow i am not required to understand it, maybe he does not either.

This is true. Also even if he retires at 50 or whatever, I never understood why his investment in Tesla was so small. He generally instantly exercised and sold all his options. There are probably people here on this forum who own more shares of Tesla than the CFO?

Someone mentioned the stock sale in another thread, so it must be true lol :)

Let's not jump the gun here. Guillen exercised options and sold the corresponding stock, all according to the 10b5-1 plan approved months ago, on February 23 of 2015. Before the transaction he had 2,662 shares, then acquired 1500 shares as part of the pre-approved plan, and then sold them, also as part of the preapproved plan. At the end of the reporting period he also had 6,893 options. This transaction has nothing to do with his leave of absence.

Here is the note detailing the transaction:

The stock option exercise and sale reported on this Form 4 were effected pursuant to a Rule 10b5-1 trading plan adopted by the reporting person on February 23, 2015

That's even worse than the CFO. What is it with these execs not wanting to keep much Tesla stock?

Let's chill on this one. These options are part of their compensation package which is otherwise not competitive with the rest of the industry. We are complaining on this forum about the sloppiness of the financial journalists, while jumping to the (inaccurate) conclusions without reading the actual filing.

Let's chill on this one. These options are part of their compensation package which is otherwise not competitive with the rest of the industry. We are complaining on this forum about the sloppiness of the financial journalists, while jumping to the (inaccurate) conclusions without reading the actual filing.

I get that their cash compensation is comparatively poor. But them holding such little stock in the company is equally bad, image wise. I don't know what % is good but how about keeping 10% of what you get intact?

I get that their cash compensation is comparatively poor. But them holding such little stock in the company is equally bad, image wise. I don't know what % is good but how about keeping 10% of what you get intact?

Well, we are not privy to the details of the approved plan, do we? So we can't conclude that 1500 options exercised were 100%, 90%, or 50% of the currently vested parcel. Let's not make conclusion without knowing the facts.

Regarding the shares held, he is holding 2662 shares and 6893 options , for a total control of 9555 shares which is equivalent to more than $2.24M. I would not dismiss it as insignificant share.

Last edited:
Well, we are not privy to the details of the approved plan, do we? So we can't conclude that 1500 options exercised were 100%, 90%, or 50% of the currently vested parcel. Let's not make conclusion without knowing the facts.

Regarding the shares held, he is holding 2662 shares and 6893 options , for a total control of 9555 shares which is equivalent to more than $2.24M. I would not dismiss it as insignificant share.

Thanks for the info. How do you get info about options held??