Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Q2 Discussion thread for Delivery numbers, Earnings Report and Conference Call

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have to be years away from the concept of a self driving taxi with no driver. I don't think the public is ready for that for a while. Autopilot is driver assistance not driver replacement.

You start in Silicon Valley. Maybe as early as 2020. Will need Sacramento to pass pertinent legislation.

SV is ready yesterday. They you move out from there once customers in technologically progressive areas see the safety record in SV.

- - - Updated - - -

Elon implied guidance for next year 80k-90k.

Next year 100k theoretical capacity. Real world production 1600-1800 vehicles per week.

Everyone is reading *way* too much into Elon's decision to abstain from answering the self-driving car service question. I believe his intent was not to comment because he wanted to leave options open, but very highly doubt they're actually considering this. I really doubt they're going to take their eyes off the ball and try to compete with Uber. It doesn't at all keep with their mission as a company.

I really doubt they're going to take their eyes off the ball and try to compete with Uber. It doesn't at all keep with their mission as a company.

Not compete. Dominate Uber.

It absolutely keeps with the mission of Tesla.

Ride sharing is more efficient and furthers the goal of transitioning the world to sustainable transportation than everyone having their own private vehicle and leaving it idle for 22 hrs per day.

Some will want their own private vehicle and even customize it. Some in densely populated areas will prefer ride sharing.

500000 EV orders to Uber which would be driving a lot of electrical miles for a lot of customers is something that would make a lot of sense for Elon and Tesla. I assume he didn't comment because you generally don't comment on potential deals with other companies.

Stock is down 6% in aftermarket, isn't this awful?

First, why does Musk set such optimistic expectations in the first place, only to dial them down later? Shouldn't Tesla take a more conservative approach to guidance and then surprise?

Second, it makes no sense that ramping up Model X will come at a sacrifice of 800 Model S deliveries per week. I think that is Musk-speak for "we can't update the Model S to keep par with Model X features, so Model S sales will slow down". That sounds closer to reality to me, explains the new referral program as a way to keep Model S sales afloat, and the dip in S sales is something that I've been fearing for some time. If Model S does not keep pace with Model X design and features on day one, Model S sales will fall off a cliff. I certainly wouldn't buy one knowing that the Model X has superior technology and newer design compared to S, and that a Model S redesign is probably around the bend. Tesla is stretched too thinly.

I am worried for Tesla based on anecdotal observations. Reports of falling service standards are on the rise. Software development is lagging woefully behind. Jerome Guillen, who has served to calm a lot of discontent and smooth over ruffled feathers, is nowhere to be found. Now Tesla is lowering delivery guidance for the year - guidance which many of us originally felt would be nearly impossible for Tesla to hit.

Are Musk and his team cracking?

I thought, as we get closer to Model 3, that Tesla would be optimizing its organization and focusing all of its ducks in a row to make possible a mass market vehicle. Based on what I heard today, and on recent history, it doesn't seem like Tesla is on that road. Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way, but something doesn't feel right to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's let them release the comparatively simple autopilot software before anyone gets too worked up over self-driving Uber competition.

Based upon Tesla's timelines, this is at least 20 years away.

500000 EV orders to Uber which would be driving a lot of electrical miles for a lot of customers is something that would make a lot of sense for Elon and Tesla. I assume he didn't comment because you generally don't comment on potential deals with other companies.

That was not the question.

The question was if selling to ride sharing companies is a real business opportunity or would Tesla prefer to cut out the middle man and sell the service directly to retail customers.

There are more ride sharing services than just Uber.

Second, it makes no sense that ramping up Model X will come at a sacrifice of 800 Model S deliveries per week. I think that is Musk-speak for "we can't update the Model S to keep par with Model X features, so Model S sales will slow down". That sounds closer to reality to me, explains the new referral program as a way to keep Model S sales afloat, and the dip in S sales is something that I've been fearing for some time. If Model S does not keep pace with Model X design and features on day one, Model S sales will fall off a cliff. I certainly wouldn't buy one knowing that the Model X has superior technology and newer design compared to S, and that a Model S redesign is probably around the bend. Tesla is stretched too thinly.

This... I don't think I'm even remotely interested in buying a Model S now. I "might" look at an Model X now but Elon all but said on this call that the Model X is going to be vastly superior. What does that mean? I have no idea but I'm not plunking down a $2500 non refundable deposit on a Model S. Listening to this call today, Tesla has potentially lost me as a customer for the foreseeable future. I'm SOOOO glad I rescheduled my appointment with my gallery to put the deposit down to this Saturday which I will now cancel all together.

Tesla is in trouble. I agree, the Model S is going to tank in regards to orders. Anyone who is buying one right now is gonna be in for a very rude awakening I think...

Jeff

EDIT: While I don't believe in rewriting what I said, thus I won't erase it, I did let my frustration get the better of me for a moment and I don't genuinely feel that way about Tesla but I won't erase what I wrote either.

Jeff

Last edited:
It says to me a Model S update can't be too far behind.

I don't see how ordering a Model S now would be such a horrible thing. If you like the car the way it is now and want to drive one order it. The Model S update, if there is one soon, could be a year away. I don't think Model S sales will tank. Not everyone follows forums as closely as we do. They hear good things about the car and will order one anyway.

Last edited:
It says to me a Model S update can't be too far behind.

I don't see how ordering a Model S now would be such a horrible thing. If you like the car the way it is now and want to drive one order it.

Except this is not how people shop cars, at least those who are not in the "cult of Tesla" and who are not early adopters.

If you are thinking of buying a Model S and go to the Tesla web site, you will see two cars at approximately the same price points. One is brand spanking new, with obviously newer design, technology, and vastly superior interior amenities and design (based on Musk's own words). Very few consumers will go for the outdated vehicle unless it is steeply discounted. Replace Model S with "iPhone 5" and Model X with "iPhone 6" in your statements and see if it still makes sense. It doesn't to me.

The Model S update, if there is one soon, could be a year away. I don't think Model S sales will tank. Not everyone follows forums as closely as we do. They hear good things about the car and will order one anyway.

If a Model S redesign - to keep pace with Model X - is a year away, as you suggest, then Tesla is in BIG BIG trouble and so is our stock investment.

Stock is down 6% in aftermarket, isn't this awful?

I am worried for Tesla based on anecdotal observations. Reports of falling service standards are on the rise. Software development is lagging woefully behind. Jerome Guillen, who has served to calm a lot of discontent and smooth over ruffled feathers, is nowhere to be found. Now Tesla is lowering delivery guidance for the year - guidance which many of us originally felt would be nearly impossible for Tesla to hit.

Are Musk and his team cracking?

I thought, as we get closer to Model 3, that Tesla would be optimizing its organization and focusing all of its ducks in a row to make possible a mass market vehicle. Based on what I heard today, and on recent history, it doesn't seem like Tesla is on that road. Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way, but something doesn't feel right to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Based upon Tesla's timelines, this is at least 20 years away.

With homage to Airplane! -- Looks like I picked the wrong month to buy a Model S70D. Looks like I picked the wrong month to invest in TSLA.

But seriously, look at aftermarket. It was down substantially (10%) but rebounded. That means there is still a lot of support against downward pressure.

Tomorrow's market will be interesting. But I still believe it's a mistake to bet against Musk, his tendency to over-promise notwithstanding.