TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2015 Tesla Accelerated into a wall

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Jjmboni, May 22, 2019.

1. FoxSTL2HOU

FoxSTL2HOU Member

I couldn't tell from the photos - did airbags deploy? Speed is never a sure criteria for deployment, but I'd be surprised at no deployment for a 20+mph impact.

2. Joelgjr

Joelgjr Member

I've done something kind of similar on a CVT motorcycle. You start going forward unexpectedly and for some bizarre reason the surprise of going forward you just max out whatever control you are currently focused on. In this case the throttle. I went full throttle for about 2-3 seconds terrified that I wasn't stopping before I realized what was happening. Then obviously I stopped fine using the brakes. I get how the accident happened, although I don't get not believing the truth afterwards

• Informative x 1
  3. dblankenbaker

dblankenbaker Member

Salvage title = "Does it even have airbags?"

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. David.85D

David.85D Member

I did a fun experiment today. The result surprised me. Remember what they say “don’t try this at home”.

1) With foot on the brake, car in D, open door, cars shifts to park.

2) (surprise!) found a little hill for this test, so I could be giving it some juice but barely moving. With foot on the accelerator (lightly!!!), car in D, open door. Cars stays in Drive, even after foot is removed from accelerator.

Short answer, scenario described does not need a defect in the seat or door safeties if the accelerator was being pressed.

Only question in my mind is why the car doesn’t shift to park if door is opened with brake on but not when accelerator is on. Is this the “bail out” mode like in the movies?

5. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

It should shift to park if you get out of the seat, regardless of anything else. Did you try that?

Folks who like to look over their shoulder when backing up have tripped it occasionally by shifting enough that the seat weight sensor decides they are getting up.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

What happens if you think you are setting the turn signal and accidently pull on the cruise control lever? Will the car accelerate? I have not tried this myself but I have done something similar while cruising. I found myself having to shut off TACC or rapidly press the brake. Caught me by surprise but I immediately knew what I did. When you are not paying attention and not used to the cars lever positions, they feel very similar in position and style IMHO.

And if that does engage the cruise control then you panic and hit the accelerator thinking you were stepping on the brake because you knew you did not press the accelerator?

Just wondering. It seems like all (most?) of these unintended accelerations happen to newbies.

7. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Again, TACC will not engage below 18 mph unless it think it sees a car in front of you - and won't accelerate if it sees a car in front of you.

8. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Member

If it didnt have ay
    I had a loaner 2018 75d last week and I can confirm that when i inadvertently hit the cruise instead of the turn signal the car did speed up when pulling into a parking lot. I was able to quickly apply the brakes but since my S is a 2013 my turn and cruise levers are reversed.

• Informative x 1
  9. BigNick

BigNick Disaffected Member

I am still used to my old 2014 with the turn signal lower on the steering column and occasionally add 5 MPH to my speed when hitting the cruise lever instead of the turn signal lever on my 2015.

But since all CC is TACC on the 2015, it won't rear-end the driver in front, even if I were to be drafting at Daytona 500 distances (and I don't do that, I usually have my TACC follow set to 3 or 4).

Unless both the camera and radar fail simultaneously. Then all bets are off.

10. swegman

swegman Active Member

It only shifts into park at low speeds. Above a certain speed (don’t remember what that is), the car remains in Drive if you lift your body off the seat.

This “safety” feature was added to address the situation where a person is backing up with the door open to grab a paper in the driveway while backing out. Apparently people were doing this and sometimes fell out of the car while attempting to grab the newspaper.

11. pschubert61

pschubert61 Member

She had foot on accelerator not the brake.One man's opinion.

12. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

That’s a not a 40+ MPH crash. She would have been inside the building. If the car did in fact continue to accelerate on its own, was the floor mat over the accelerator pedal?

There’s so much missing from your story.

• Like x 2
  13. RIP->OPEC

RIP->OPEC Member

Remember when Audi’s were having this issue back in the early 90’s? The drivers all swore and were all convinced they had their foot on the brake as they proceded to ram other cars or go through store fronts. These stories dominated the media with sensational BS.... until the “little black-box” confirmed that ALL of them were mistaken, they all had their foot on the accelerator. Hell, when I asked my wife if she had her foot on the brake a few months ago, she asked to my chagrin, “Which one is that?” .... YIKES! o_O

• Like x 1
  14. Branzo90D

Branzo90D Salt and Pepper

While I sympathize with your problems with the car, I don't see how this can be "Tesla's fault," given you have a repaired salvage car that was not recertified by Tesla. I am just not sure how you will ever figure out what really happened here. Good luck!

• Like x 1
  15. beebee2019

beebee2019 New Member

Same thing happened to me.
    On Friday, March 15th at 1:05pm - coming home from Costco, came up the hill to my home, took my foot off the accelerator, car slows down as it always does (creep mode), getting ready to park it in front of the garage and touched the brake to put it in park. It accelerated so fast through the garage into the house. The car finally stopped by the wall it hit, I put it in park but the tires were still rotating; stopped when I opened the door and then motors then shut down.
    Tesla would not return my calls until about one month later after posting all over facebook; also reported it to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). If you want to contact me, my email is [email protected].
    How many people have to get hurt or killed by these malfunctions that Tesla will not acknowledge and always blame the driver?
    Don't let all the bashing from people on this site bother you.

Attached Files:

• Disagree x 4
    • Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  16. beebee2019

beebee2019 New Member

IMG_1449.jpeg

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  17. tech4cars

tech4cars Member

18. tech4cars

tech4cars Member

I'm a Forensic Investigator for Auto Electronics related matters. I have the Tesla download equipment and am a licensed Tesla crash data retrieval software user. I've investigated two other Model S cases where they allegedly experienced SUA similar to yours. In both those cases the crash data download (which is stored in the airbag ECU, NOT from the Tesla OTA logging data) indicated pre-crash data accelerator pedal position was at 100%, and brake pedal OFF. Pedal misapplication is a known contributor to SUA, as is floor mat entrapment (one of the cases above had evidence of entrapment). However, network or electronic faults/problems can report erroneous data. I recommend you have the data downloaded to see what that says and then decide if a deeper investigation is warranted. PM me if you'd like to discuss.

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 1
  19. GregRF

GregRF Squirrel Power

It is my understanding that 2 of 3 things need to be met for the car to go into Park automatically:
    1. Door Open
    2. Driver seat belt not engaged
    3. Seat sensor not triggered

20. bradhs

bradhs Member

Floor mats