Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Tesla Model S 85D Silver w/ AP - 51k Miles - Rebuilt Title - $1 Starting Bid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I just posted my Metallic Silver 2015 MS 85D w/ Auto Pilot to ebay with a starting bid of $1 and a low reserve.

2015 Tesla Model S 85D Metallic Silver with Auto Pilot | eBay

I will probably also post to autotrader and a few other sites. I bought a CPO Model S with full warranty for myself in June and my wife decided on a Model 3 in November. This rebuilt Model S was her daily driver for six months and mine for the six months prior.

On the salvage / rebuilt side, the times are changing with the ability to view and buy parts publicly. There's now also a process for high voltage inspection so Tesla with work and service these vehicles again. Please reach out if your interested with a reasonable offer and I'll delist the car. I will also share all the info on getting the relatively cheap high-voltage inspection performed. No approved body shop need apply any longer.

Some other asides: The unlimited free supercharging is fully working and I have the car on my account for the mobile app. The mobile app works flawlessly and the car recently got updated to version 9.0 (2018.44.2) with all the new trimmings.

Thank you!

• Love
Reactions: bkp_duke
The gap is so off on the front hood ... Buyers beware, could be a chassis issue

Really? That's your input here? I posted this in the disclosure section on the listing. The hood needs some minor adjustment from the latch. The buyer can easily adjust this some more if they want it closer.

I've personally had the bumper off and frunk out installing some new latch electronics and replacement parking sensors. I've measured extensively and there are no chassis or frame issues. All welds are in great shape with no frame rail movement. It passed full state inspection here in KY. The county asks for extensive documentation and a professional inspection by car lift.

Thank you for your interest.

Really? That's your input here? I posted this in the disclosure section on the listing. The hood needs some minor adjustment from the latch. The buyer can easily adjust this some more if they want it closer.

I've personally had the bumper off and frunk out installing some new latch electronics and replacement parking sensors. I've measured extensively and there are no chassis or frame issues. All welds are in great shape with no frame rail movement. It passed full state inspection here in KY. The county asks for extensive documentation and a professional inspection by car lift.

Thank you for your interest.

The state inspection doesn't check for frame damage or alignment. They simply check receipts and match the VIN. They won't see anything "by car lift" on a Tesla at all. It's just a battery.

Buyer beware. Left front quarter panel and fender are also gapped incorrectly. Definitely something going on.

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke
The state inspection doesn't check for frame damage or alignment. They simply check receipts and match the VIN. They won't see anything "by car lift" on a Tesla at all. It's just a battery.

Buyer beware. Left front quarter panel and fender are also gapped incorrectly. Definitely something going on.

Why not have Tesla do the re Inspection to clear up any concerns? Would this address the issues you are identifying?

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX and JPUConn
Mcu shows an error alert but that’s not described or shown in photos? Can you add what the error messages are that are being displayed?

Hi JPConn,

That one was actually windshield wiper fluid low and is taken care of now. I would share photos, but didn't get any of it before topping it off. I can take a more recent photo of the MCU and post here though.

Thanks for the honest and non-judgemental inquiry.

Reactions: JPUConn

Incorrect. You're wrong on all counts other than receipts being ask for as part of the documentation. Seeing as you're not from Kentucky and don't appear to have rebuilt any cars or have ever worked on them I don't think you're a great authority here.

But again thanks for your inquiry. I'm sorry to see that it has some inbuilt bias and negativity. I welcome you to come down and personally inspect the car if you're so inclined. Shouldn't be a long drive from Ohio. I promise you I can change your mind and make you feel very silly.

Why not have Tesla do the re Inspection to clear up any concerns? Would this address the issues you are identifying?

The traditional inspection is done by an approved body shop. They dismantle the front end of the car, take measurements, and recommend and quote any repairs to bring it to spec. That cost was rather high at $2500-3000 and didn't really gain you anything if SC and the mobile app were working. As of around August this year Tesla service proper will now do a straight forward high voltage inspection to certify the car to be worked on by Tesla Service. This is on the order of a few hundred dollars by comparison.

Neither of these look at cosmetic issues like minor panel gaps that Tesla itself is known to have problems getting right. So the point is pretty moot. I'm not afraid at all to provide pictures with the frunk out or show anyone in person that would like to look. I don't want to take some of the car apart again but I'll do it to ease everyone's minds if needed.

As for the high voltage inspection, I'd be willing to do it, but it's pretty incovenient to take it to Blue Ash / Cinci OH to have this done and add more miles to the car. As good of shape as the car is in, you won't need service anyway. Top the radiator fluid off, check the brake fluid so often, and keep your wheels and tires maintained and you won't have to worry for years to come.

Thanks!

Here are the updated MCU photos that show the windshield wiper fluid error is now cleared. I have blurred my street name for obvious privacy reasons.

I will add a Google Drive link with the auction photos shortly.

20181202_174814.jpg 20181202_174600.jpg 20181202_174434.jpg

Reactions: JPUConn
I've seen this car personally. It's in GREAT condition. I've also raced against it in one of my P85's.

The seller has done AMAZING work on both of my cars (two sets of contactor swaps - 2013 cars are known to have this problem - NOT the OP's car) and if I were in the market for another Tesla, would not hesitate to buy this one. He is honest, does great work (and supports his work), and has one of the BEST reputations out of anyone that works on salvage Teslas. And I should know, I've done the rounds with a lot of the guys that work on these cars.

Regarding the hood "gap" mentioned by rjscoder - this is EXTREMELY common even in undamaged cars built by Tesla between 2012 and 2016. My business partner returned a brand new 2016 P100D for fit and finish problems like this. My 2013 has similar gaps, and it was a rear-end damage only car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Don TLR
Whats the High Voltage certification Cost?

Hi gurtburns,

On the Tesla Service Bulletin, I believe it's estimated at up to four hours to drop the battery and do the tests. And Tesla Service's hourly rate is usually $175 / hr. I would venture to say it can be done pretty easily in two hours having dropped several batteries in my day ;-).

So that's probably minimum of $350 to maybe a max of $700 if they ran into issues or weren't familiar with the procedure. Some have pointed out to me that I overestimated the approved body shop cost also. Some will do it for $1200-1500 if you get an honest body shop. I was just including minor parts and labor at the $2500-3000 range.

On this car, I think you could easily get away with a full HV inspection at $350 and be off to the races for any Tesla Service repair. May just be a few days at service while they work you in for an appointment. Don't know if they'd extend a free rental to you or not, but worth it to ask.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I've seen this car personally. It's in GREAT condition. I've also raced against it in one of my P85's.

The seller has done AMAZING work on both of my cars (two sets of contactor swaps - 2013 cars are known to have this problem - NOT the OP's car) and if I were in the market for another Tesla, would not hesitate to buy this one. He is honest, does great work (and supports his work), and has one of the BEST reputations out of anyone that works on salvage Teslas. And I should know, I've done the rounds with a lot of the guys that work on these cars.

Regarding the hood "gap" mentioned by rjscoder - this is EXTREMELY common even in undamaged cars built by Tesla between 2012 and 2016. My business partner returned a brand new 2016 P100D for fit and finish problems like this. My 2013 has similar gaps, and it was a rear-end damage only car.

Thank you for the kind words, bkp_duke. I always enjoy working with you on those beautiful cars. His pearl white P85 with 21-inch grey turbines is a site to behold. I even got to drive it a bit in transit after the contactor swap. Pure joy.

Thanks for your interest everyone. Sold on Thursday night to an Excellent gentleman from Louisville KY! He saw the listing from a local Tesla Owners Facebook group and came out for a test drive. He had excellent questions and an open mind for rebuilt vehicles. I think The Silver Bullet has found a great home for years to come.

Hi all,

I just posted my Metallic Silver 2015 MS 85D w/ Auto Pilot to ebay with a starting bid of $1 and a low reserve.

2015 Tesla Model S 85D Metallic Silver with Auto Pilot | eBay

I will probably also post to autotrader and a few other sites. I bought a CPO Model S with full warranty for myself in June and my wife decided on a Model 3 in November. This rebuilt Model S was her daily driver for six months and mine for the six months prior.

On the salvage / rebuilt side, the times are changing with the ability to view and buy parts publicly. There's now also a process for high voltage inspection so Tesla with work and service these vehicles again. Please reach out if your interested with a reasonable offer and I'll delist the car. I will also share all the info on getting the relatively cheap high-voltage inspection performed. No approved body shop need apply any longer.

Some other asides: The unlimited free supercharging is fully working and I have the car on my account for the mobile app. The mobile app works flawlessly and the car recently got updated to version 9.0 (2018.44.2) with all the new trimmings.

Thank you!
Speed Racer, I was referred to you from autobahn in el cajon, I wanted to ask if you can program my drive unit, I am getting a newer one since my car is making the high pitch noise and I my car is not supported by tesla, I would drive to el cajon, have them install it and I need someone to program it to my car once installed, I believe that this can be done remotely right?
please let me know if you can and how do i get in touch with you to make this happen.

thank you.