Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Tesla Model S 90D owner, curious what I am getting into?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any Tesla fanatics here that follow each year of each model and how they relatively hold up? I only have 24,000 miles on this bad boy that I got about 3-4 weeks ago now. So far totally in love with the driving experience, the glass roof and retractable tinted sunroof are really incredible. Overall feels like upgrading to a spaceship from my old ride.

So far 0 noticeable issues mechanically and such, summon hasn't been as useful as I had hoped(can't open the garage door if it was backed into garage prior(my charger is on the back wall of garage so I reverse into the garage to back up to it every day), nor can it reverse backwards into my garage easily to park itself because garage is so narrow the sensors freak out a bit(and I have to fit it in myself which was very stressful first 5 or so times but I am getting crazy good at it now).

I think what I am most interested in is the likelihood of a major issue popping up within 100,000 miles? And if so what are they and what will my cost be out of pocket likely? My 2007 Ford Mustang I had since 2009 before this purchase hit 105k miles before I sold it and I never ran into major problems(maybe total auto work accumulated to $3k?) but I also followed regular maintenance guidelines pretty religiously.

So far I think based on what I have read would be the drivetrain crapping out on me or the MCU 1. If drivetrain happened in the next 2 1/2 years I am good and covered, but say it happens outside of warranty(more likely, I generally put 12k miles a year or so on my vehicles) what will I be looking at to replace one or both of the motors? Would they be installing the same exact model motors that gave me the problem originally or would I get a newer designed motor that likely has all the bugs ironed out?

I think on the MCU to get the newer fixed one its like $2,500 which is pretty steep imo(as is all tesla tbh but I really wanted to join the electric car club hah).

Sometimes I ponder if I would have liked the model 3 better and spent more time hunting, Model S feels like a much more family oriented car and bigger which I really did not need yet but still really dig the interior regardless. But I doubt anyone would wanna trade mine for their 2019-2020 M3 with Autopilot FSD and all the bells and whistles I would want like:
Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive $46,990
Midnight Silver Metallic Paint $1,000
Black and White Premium Interior $1,000
Full Self-Driving Capability $7,000
Purchase price: $55,990

Best,
Jeremy

I have a 2015 70D with 84k miles.
Repairs in total
Warranty - minor squeaks and rattles; Front half shafts - were causing shutter on acceleration.
OOW - Two 12V batteries - $200 each
Battery heater - $800
Door handle - $10 (DIY)

I have original DUs. I believe by 2015, the issue was mostly fixed. My build is May.
MCU - I have some lagging but overall on my current software version, no issues. So I am holding off on updating. You can get a new eMMC as a DIY removal/install for $500. Tesla wants more like $1800 when they do it all for a refurb. While the refurb won't be as good as new, it will probably last longer than original because of software changes so I would venture a MTBF of around 8 years. The current one is about 5 years.
$2500 is the price for an upgrade to a MCU2 which carries a 4 year warranty and gives extra features. So it isn't fair to quote that price for repairs.

All MCU prices are subject to change and probable decrease. It is a design defect that Tesla may take care of at some point - whether by fiat or goodwill. The current pricing represents a pretty good decrease over time.

You are getting into a great car, my plan is to drive my five year old 2015 85D until battery fault, or ten years come, the measly trade in along with low miles and garaged state do not justify an upgrade anytime soon. Add free lifetime premium entertainment and supercharging and we have a deal:)

The great people at the Columbus SC along with warranty until 2023 also contribute to my decision.

Reactions: jeremy0916
I have a 2015 70D with 84k miles.
Repairs in total
Warranty - minor squeaks and rattles; Front half shafts - were causing shutter on acceleration.
OOW - Two 12V batteries - $200 each
Battery heater - $800
Door handle - $10 (DIY)

I have original DUs. I believe by 2015, the issue was mostly fixed. My build is May.
MCU - I have some lagging but overall on my current software version, no issues. So I am holding off on updating. You can get a new eMMC as a DIY removal/install for $500. Tesla wants more like $1800 when they do it all for a refurb. While the refurb won't be as good as new, it will probably last longer than original because of software changes so I would venture a MTBF of around 8 years. The current one is about 5 years.
$2500 is the price for an upgrade to a MCU2 which carries a 4 year warranty and gives extra features. So it isn't fair to quote that price for repairs.

All MCU prices are subject to change and probable decrease. It is a design defect that Tesla may take care of at some point - whether by fiat or goodwill. The current pricing represents a pretty good decrease over time.

This was super helpful info and gives me a lot more confidence in the build quality of the car. On the door handle whats the $10 dollar DIY method vs paying $1k to have it replaced lol? Squeaks and rattles huh, like with the car door opening or suspension? Was the problem likely something we could get at and fix pretty easily? As for the front half shaft shutter that def sounds like a service center type repair or something for a professional, Did they give you an RCA on what caused that so in the future you know what was wrong if it could be done at a regular shop vs Tesla service center potentially?