Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Tesla Model S Drive Trains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have heard that before 2015, the drive trains on the model S often had to be replaced. What about 2015? I am looking at a 2015 Tesla Model S 70D, with 130,000 miles on it. It is AWD as well. I think that means it isn't one of the earlier problematic drive trains. Is that correct?

I have heard that before 2015, the drive trains on the model S often had to be replaced. What about 2015? I am looking at a 2015 Tesla Model S 70D, with 130,000 miles on it. It is AWD as well. I think that means it isn't one of the earlier problematic drive trains. Is that correct?

The problems with the milling noises on drive units was mainly an issue for the "large" drive units. These were used on the RWD Model (e.g. 40, 60, 85, P85), as well as the rear drive units on dual-motor performance cars (P85D).

The non-performance, dual-motor cars didn't use the large drive units (such as the 85D or 70D)...they had two "small" drive units instead. I can't remember any wide-spread problems with the small drive units. Odds are, this shouldn't be a concern for your case. FWIW I drive a 2015 Model S 85D.

Bruce.

Upvote 0
Thank you for all the help! I ended up buying it. I also purchased a 100,000 mile or 3 year drive train and battery warranty.

One thing I am worried about: When I purchased it, they had it charged up to 255 miles. However, when I brought it home and plugged it in to my wall charger (I already have a Model 3 so I already had a wall charger), it shows a max charge of 217 miles. Is that something that re-calibrates somehow?

Other than that, the car is beautiful. Some scratches, but for me it is as good as new. Any thoughts on the battery?

Upvote 0
Thank you for all the help! I ended up buying it. I also purchased a 100,000 mile or 3 year drive train and battery warranty.

One thing I am worried about: When I purchased it, they had it charged up to 255 miles. However, when I brought it home and plugged it in to my wall charger (I already have a Model 3 so I already had a wall charger), it shows a max charge of 217 miles. Is that something that re-calibrates somehow?

Other than that, the car is beautiful. Some scratches, but for me it is as good as new. Any thoughts on the battery?
So you bought a tesla that came with that warrenty? Or you bought that warrenty? I have 78k miles and my drive train is milling, anyway to get that warrenty so i can get a free fix?

Upvote 0
Well, I have a 2013 Model S. First drive train failed September 5, 2019. It was replaced under warranty. The second drive train failed in November 2021. Tesla charged me $8,500.00 to replace it. The third drive train is supposed to have a 48 month warranty. My car has 87,000 miles on it.

Tesla SC in Westmont, IL, Matt the service manager said he would try to get Tesla to pay for part of it. Matt lied. He will not return calls. Tesla will only let you get so deep into customer service on the phone. TESLA has become a secret society making crappy products.

BEWARE!

Upvote 0
On the warranty, you already had one from Tesla for another year and unlimited mileage. I would not trust the average dealer to extend that by 2 years for any cost. Perhaps if it was a high volume Tesla reseller - and had several reviews from customers who had warranty claims. Just in case someone else has to make the same decision - too late for OP - unless there is a 30 day out clause.

As far as ItalianCar - you have to wonder about someone who has to pay for a replaced DU (it is not a drive train) and then 2 years later registers for a forum to complain about it. That is some delayed anger. Might be totally true of course - a common story - but interesting timing. Also, probably should have joined 2 years ago and did some research....

I have a 2015 70D with 100k and 2 original DUs. I follow this topic pretty well and there are few reports of problems for the D models (non-performance).

Upvote 0
On the warranty, you already had one from Tesla for another year and unlimited mileage. I would not trust the average dealer to extend that by 2 years for any cost. Perhaps if it was a high volume Tesla reseller - and had several reviews from customers who had warranty claims. Just in case someone else has to make the same decision - too late for OP - unless there is a 30 day out clause.

As far as ItalianCar - you have to wonder about someone who has to pay for a replaced DU (it is not a drive train) and then 2 years later registers for a forum to complain about it. That is some delayed anger. Might be totally true of course - a common story - but interesting timing. Also, probably should have joined 2 years ago and did some research....

I have a 2015 70D with 100k and 2 original DUs. I follow this topic pretty well and there are few reports of problems for the D models (non-performance).
No need to wonder and it's not delayed anger. I had some health issues after I picked the car up. SEVERAL calls to Tesla. I filed a consumer fraud claim and am waiting on that.

Upvote 0
The problems with the milling noises on drive units was mainly an issue for the "large" drive units. These were used on the RWD Model (e.g. 40, 60, 85, P85), as well as the rear drive units on dual-motor performance cars (P85D).

The non-performance, dual-motor cars didn't use the large drive units (such as the 85D or 70D)...they had two "small" drive units instead. I can't remember any wide-spread problems with the small drive units. Odds are, this shouldn't be a concern for your case. FWIW I drive a 2015 Model S 85D.

Bruce.

@bmah How do you like your 2016 Tesla 85D? I am looking to buy one. Here is the VIN: 5YJSA1H29FFP71858.

Everything is pretty much original so battery hasn't been replaced and I don't think anything has been upgraded. Could you give me some tips before I buy? Will it still come with free supercharging? I am buying from a car dealership and will probably have it shipped from dealership in Midwest to here in California.

1658942654827.png

Upvote 0
Premium connectivity renewal is easily done through the app, on an either monthly or annual basis. The expiring premium connectivity suggests that the car has been re-sold by Tesla at some point in the (relatively) recent past. So it will almost certainly no longer have free supercharging. From the CarFax report on the dealer site, it looks like it may have been traded in to Tesla earlier this year and then disposed of at auction.

Still a great car though, and the same colour scheme as my old 85D. No cold weather package and still has MCU1 - and the instrument cluster is leaking badly, so you might want to budget for MCU2 in the near future. Consider proactive sunroof seal replacement, too, it's a PITA when they fail.

FWIW I sold mine, with similar mileage, for rather less than the dealership is asking. But the market appears to have continued rising since then, so maybe this represents good value?

Upvote 0