Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Texas Legislative Session Discussion Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious -

I believe the law for tax on new vehicle registrations is that if the tax was paid by the buyer elsewhere, and it was greater than TX tax, the buyer wouldn't have to pay tax in Texas. If the tax elsewhere was less, they would have to pay the difference.

Is there a way they could structure the deal that tax was paid elsewhere and TX cut gets reduced?

Of course it risks pissing someone off, but reduced state income may pressure change?

In most cases, if you purchase a car for delivery elsewhere, there is no tax in the state you purchase it. If you take delivery in that state, depending upon the state, you may be taxed. In which case the amount of tax paid elsewhere goes to reduce the TX tax. If it's less that the TX tax you pay the difference. This is a minuscule amount compared to the total tax revenue from car sales.

I have heard back from one of the House of Representatives candidates in my district. He supports direct sales. No response from the other one, although I've been told he was involved in making sure the bill stayed in committee so they didn't have to vote on it.

The way it works is sales taxes is paid when you REGISTER the vehicle. IIRC, in Texas, the car has to be at least 6 months old for you to NOT pay Texas sales tax. There is a provision of some sort of discount if you've paid a sales tax in another state and can prove it. I briefly considered buying and registering the car in CA, let it sit in a friend's garage for 6 months and then drive it to Texas.

The way it works is sales taxes is paid when you REGISTER the vehicle. IIRC, in Texas, the car has to be at least 6 months old for you to NOT pay Texas sales tax. There is a provision of some sort of discount if you've paid a sales tax in another state and can prove it. I briefly considered buying and registering the car in CA, let it sit in a friend's garage for 6 months and then drive it to Texas.
You can immediately credit the tax paid in the other state when you register in Texas, so you'll only pay Texas tax if you have paid less than 6 1/4% when you initially registered the car in the other state.

You would have had to pay taxes in CA when you registered it there that are higher than the TX rate.