Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016/17 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently own a M3 LR and our other car is due to be returned in 3 months time. We have 2 dogs so we need one car to have a boot whereby the dogs can go. We were hoping the Model Y would be available by now but it does not look like this is happening anytime soon here in the UK. The brand new Model S & X's are not an option due to cost however we have noticed some 2016/17 Model S for around the £30 to 35K mark. I have no knowledge of the car and the version of the model S. Can anyone shed some light on buying an older Model S with regards to the car itself and reliability of an electric car with around 30 to 40k of miles on the clock.

Thank you.

Currently own a M3 LR and our other car is due to be returned in 3 months time. We have 2 dogs so we need one car to have a boot whereby the dogs can go. We were hoping the Model Y would be available by now but it does not look like this is happening anytime soon here in the UK. The brand new Model S & X's are not an option due to cost however we have noticed some 2016/17 Model S for around the £30 to 35K mark. I have no knowledge of the car and the version of the model S. Can anyone shed some light on buying an older Model S with regards to the car itself and reliability of an electric car with around 30 to 40k of miles on the clock.

Thank you.
This video is a really comprehensive run through of what to look out for when buying a used model S:

We have a 3 year old Model X with 42k miles. No issues at that mileage, still looks/drives as new. Having driven a few pre and post facelift Model S I would definitely look for a facelift model. The interior quality is much better on the later cars from what I've seen. Not sure if you would get one with a £30-35k budget though. But I haven't looked at used pricing on these.

hi, I have just recently purchased a Dec 2017 90D MS after 9 months of research, looking and viewing where possible. Here is what I learned

1. Try and get a car with 6 months of the bumper-to-bumper warranty left, i.e. Sept 2017 and after. This will get you a AP2.0 car with cameras/sentry. You might
get lucky and find a 75D in your price range. It will also give you time to gets things fixed under warranty should it be required.
2. Go for the dual motor D car. The (early) single motor cars are less reliable (see Mechanical issue sticky thread).
3. The S is a big car. Check the rear bumper and nearside rear quarter panel for damage. I saw a lot that had repairs to this area. You can buy a paint thickness
gauge for £70 which can be very handy for finding areas of filler.
4. Always look under the car as well as over it.
5. Don't focus too much on minor panel gaps. They leave the factory like this :)
6. Try and go for private party. This is always the cheapest option.
7. I live in Newbury, W.Berks . If your close give me a ping.

Spanish

• Informative
Reactions: Beady3647
A car of that age is going to have very little warranty left, if any. So even apparently trivial repairs, like a sticking door handle, will cost you upwards of £400 a time.

You make a good point. Same is true of any 80k car.... Door handles on my BMW 7 Series were £650 each.

Especially on an S you get a bit more fancy stuff to fix.

Thank you.

As others have said, it's a big, long car. 5 meters long. 30 cm longer than a 3, which is not a small car already. 10 cm wider....

Model S: 4,970 mm L x 1,964 mm W x 1,445 mm H

VS

Model 3: 4,694 mm L x 1,849 mm W x 1,443 mm H

Everything will be more expensive, tyres, brakes, body repair.... Model S has aluminium body panels, so it will cost a lot more to fix than model 3 body panels which are steel. For example you cant pop aluminim back into shape as easily as a steel panel....

Insurance will probably cost a lot more as well.