Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016-2017 Refresh the Unseataning / Cancel My Ordering ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know, I know, you’ll be waiting forever but…

I was a good boy and waited 6 or so weeks and got the new rims, center console and the new front end that I do think looks better. The ever so slightly faster charging, new lights and air filtering system are nice too. Out of everything I really wanted the new cooled seats and thought they would be part of the refresh. I use and like the cooled seats in my current car.

It seems if I keep my new order in I’m going to miss out on new seats and maybe new door panels and the 75kWh battery that they are also already selling in the X by a few weeks as they work through old stock.

Arrrrrgggggh!

I know, I know, you’ll be waiting forever but…

I was a good boy and waited 6 or so weeks and got the new rims, center console and the new front end that I do think looks better. The ever so slightly faster charging, new lights and air filtering system are nice too. Out of everything I really wanted the new cooled seats and thought they would be part of the refresh. I use and like the cooled seats in my current car.

It seems if I keep my new order in I’m going to miss out on new seats and maybe new door panels and the 75kWh battery that they are also already selling in the X by a few weeks as they work through old stock.

Arrrrrgggggh!

Yup. I waited 6 months for the refresh. Was told by multiple folks that vented seats are coming. It was the one big thing I wanted. I ordered anyway. If they show up before my delivery I'll just add them. If it's too late I'll take the deposit hit again and reorder. If they show up after I'll retrofit. If that is not possible then I'll live with it I guess.

I've been struggling with this myself.

Things I thought the refresh would bring that it didn't:
  • X seats: for me this is more about the white synthetic option than ventilation. I can live without it.
  • Door pockets: I don't use these. My wife tends to though. Not having them is actually a win for me, as the crap she puts in there drives me nuts. I can stand hearing things shift around when I drive.
  • New body colors: nice to have, but not essential
  • 360 cameras: the expectation here may have been wishful thinking on my part. I really didn't want to buy the car without this feature, but there is no evidence this is coming any time soon, and I'm sick of waiting.
On a related note, new battery options are on the horizon: 75 and 100. I'm considering the 90 right now. A 75 MAY have swayed me to that model. The 100 would cost more, and I wouldn't want to pay the up charge.

So if I net it out, if they add this stuff in the next few months the only thing that would cause me regret is the 360 camera.

BTW, this is me trying to convince myself to pull the trigger.

I've been struggling with this myself.

Things I thought the refresh would bring that it didn't:
  • X seats: for me this is more about the white synthetic option than ventilation. I can live without it.
  • Door pockets: I don't use these. My wife tends to though. Not having them is actually a win for me, as the crap she puts in there drives me nuts. I can stand hearing things shift around when I drive.
  • New body colors: nice to have, but not essential
  • 360 cameras: the expectation here may have been wishful thinking on my part. I really didn't want to buy the car without this feature, but there is no evidence this is coming any time soon, and I'm sick of waiting.
On a related note, new battery options are on the horizon: 75 and 100. I'm considering the 90 right now. A 75 MAY have swayed me to that model. The 100 would cost more, and I wouldn't want to pay the up charge.

So if I net it out, if they add this stuff in the next few months the only thing that would cause me regret is the 360 camera.

BTW, this is me trying to convince myself to pull the trigger.

Pull the trigger

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
It's like waiting for the next latest and greatest features on the iPhone. Always something/better coming down the line. I agree with pre-cooling the car via the app. Pull the trigger! I was hoping for 100kw version, but oh well. Time to make dreams come true!
Not for me its not, the iPhone is poop made by a poop company. :p That being said the updates are mostly known and on a schedule. It's not like there are no iPhone model numbers and every few weeks/months they randomly change things. It's not like the first few months of the iPhone 6 people got a smaller battery and crappy camera then boom they changes them. We have no idea (maybe a few weeks or months or never) when or if the X seats will come to the S. The iPhone will have a little better screen and or battery every 6 months.

Did another S test drive today.
They had an X on the lot, so had to check out the seats.
The X seats are awesome! Very comfortable.
The S next gen seats are very good, but I agree the X seats are better.

Note, I didn't play with the ventilation feature.

I also loved the windshield. Wow! And of course those falcon wings are sick!
For a moment, I considered switching to the X.

Once my head stopped spinning, I got back to focusing on the S again.

While I liked the X seats better, the next gen seats are not bad by a long shot (they are similar to my 5 series seats).
I decided that for me, it's not worth waiting longer for.

Another thing to note, if ventilation is what is of interest to you, that seems to come with an additional $1500 cost to the premium package (looking at X pricing).

Reactions: gsxdsm
With the ability to pre-cool your car with the iPhone app, you'll probably never miss the seat cooling. (fyi: my last car before Tesla had seat cooling-Merc S550)
Agree. Have made it through 3 summers in Texas and precooling makes it a non issue. I'm sure cool seats are nice (never had a car with them) but wouldn't cancel an order over them not being there.

Reactions: tezzla