Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016-2017 Tesla Model S P100D used or 2021 Tesla Model S Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want a Model S.

Now the question is should I buy used and get the P100D now that it is reasonably affordable with the fast 2.5 seconds 0-60 OR should I just get the new Model S for better reasons?

I really really like driving so I will not purchase FSD because to me I wouldn’t use it a lot.

What is logical here? Get a bargain on the p100d or just settle with a refresh on the model s?

Depends on how much you value that extra 0.6 secs of 0-60 acceleration VS the newer design, increased range, and new vs used.

I personally was in that same dilemma a year ago, and I went for a P100D because I wanted all or nothing in terms of acceleration. After having it, I can tell you it's great to show off but you won't be pushing it to the max all the time after you've done it a couple dozen times The 3.1 secs of the new Model S long range isn't exactly slow either so it's way more than enough most of time. And with the new redesign, you get a refreshed interior with the new Long Range.

If I were in your shoes today, I would probably lean toward the new Long range, because the P100D wouldn't be the quickest today anyways with the Plaid version coming out. So the all or nothing mentality would say Plaid or Long Range, and not the middle of the road used older P100D. For the price point, the Long Range is a bargain.

Depends on how much you value that extra 0.6 secs of 0-60 acceleration VS the newer design, increased range, and new vs used.

I personally was in that same dilemma a year ago, and I went for a P100D because I wanted all or nothing in terms of acceleration. After having it, I can tell you it's great to show off but you won't be pushing it to the max all the time after you've done it a couple dozen times The 3.1 secs of the new Model S long range isn't exactly slow either so it's way more than enough most of time. And with the new redesign, you get a refreshed interior with the new Long Range.

If I were in your shoes today, I would probably lean toward the new Long range, because the P100D wouldn't be the quickest today anyways with the Plaid version coming out. So the all or nothing mentality would say Plaid or Long Range, and not the middle of the road used older P100D. For the price point, the Long Range is a bargain.

I really like your response. I think you are right. I currently own a Tesla Model 3 long range and to be honest I wished I would have gotten a Model S. Just the model s is better over all over the 3

I too went the (used) P100D route. I use the acceleration nearly every time I drive the car* and I am right at 12k miles and definitely haven't gotten tired of it. That said my 2017 only charges to 286-292 miles of range and as someone who likes to drive as well.... It sure seems to chew through the mileage. I think with the latest long range having 3.1 0-60 I might be tempted to go that route although I did want the fastest I could afford at time of purchase. Best of luck!

* I do live out in the country and have to get on a not-so-busy highway almost immediately after leaving the house, so it is not like I am doing this in town with 30MPH speed limits everytime :p

Last edited:
Reactions: JPInnovative
I too went the (used) P100D route. I use the acceleration nearly every time I drive the car* and I am right at 12k miles and definitely haven't gotten tired of it. That said my 2017 only charges to 286-292 miles of range and as someone who likes to drive as well.... It sure seems to chew through the mileage. I think with the latest long range having 3.1 0-60 I might be tempted to go that route although I did want the fastest I could afford at time of purchase. Best of luck!

* I do live out in the country and have to get on a not-so-busy highway almost immediately after leaving the house, so it is not like I am doing this in town with 30MPH speed limits everytime :p

I can see how you could use that acceleration every time if you get on a not so busy highway immediately. I live more in town with the 30mph speed limits and lights at every intersection, so even if I do Sport mode accelerations (not using ludicrous) I blow every one away and look like a crazy teenager. And on top of that, I think I am just getting old because after about 4 launches using ludicrous I can feel a little nauseous. o_O

That’s why I think 0-60 in 3.1 is plenty enough. If I were choosing again today, I’d probably pick the new LR for the same price point as a used P100D. Of course, if I had the cash I’d still get the Plaid just to buy the best I can at the time! :D

• Love
Reactions: byeLT4
Newer is better. The P100D probably have degraded battery despite how well Tesla software keeps it. Battery is like food. It constantly degrades and the longer you have it, the worst it is. The new 2021 Model S should have a fresh battery. Now if you think you can kill the battery of the P100D before the warranty is up, then you should get a free battery from Tesla. But given Tesla's track record of refusing battery warranty, I wouldn't count on that.

Also note the new 2021 model S will have additional life comfort compared to the old cars. Tesla constantly change things around to improve experience and I wouldn't be surprise if the 2021 has a lot of creature comfort compared to the P100D. But that being said, if all you care about is the 0-60 time and nothing else including range and such, then get the P100D and call it a day. It might save a few coins also. But I am assuming you care about other stuff and not just the 0-60 time.

Reactions: JPInnovative
Newer is better. The P100D probably have degraded battery despite how well Tesla software keeps it. Battery is like food. It constantly degrades and the longer you have it, the worst it is. The new 2021 Model S should have a fresh battery. Now if you think you can kill the battery of the P100D before the warranty is up, then you should get a free battery from Tesla. But given Tesla's track record of refusing battery warranty, I wouldn't count on that.

Also note the new 2021 model S will have additional life comfort compared to the old cars. Tesla constantly change things around to improve experience and I wouldn't be surprise if the 2021 has a lot of creature comfort compared to the P100D. But that being said, if all you care about is the 0-60 time and nothing else including range and such, then get the P100D and call it a day. It might save a few coins also. But I am assuming you care about other stuff and not just the 0-60 time.
Good point.
I think what matters is the technology has been updated, so if I am going to finance I rather be smart and get the new model s

I have made up my mind and now know what I want.
New model s long range it is.
Good bye model 3 long range

Reactions: alloverx and byeLT4
I love my 11/2016 P100D. But I am jealous of the door pockets that the refreshed Model S has...and I will eventually need to spend $2k to swap to the MCU2 and lose my AM radio. But I enjoy my free supercharging and free premium connectivity. If you are fine with the LR specs, go for the refresh since it has longer range and will probably charge faster as well...and it has DOOR POCKETS!!! Just don't drive a P100D, Plaid or Plaid+ and you be more than happy with the performance of the LR.

Reactions: Jpandes

I'm kinda thinking the same. P100D looks great, but, the new LR has plenty of accel. Since I'm not really in a rush, I think my sweet spot is going to be a LR with new batt chem

I love my 11/2016 P100D. But I am jealous of the door pockets that the refreshed Model S has...and I will eventually need to spend $2k to swap to the MCU2 and lose my AM radio. But I enjoy my free supercharging and free premium connectivity. If you are fine with the LR specs, go for the refresh since it has longer range and will probably charge faster as well...and it has DOOR POCKETS!!! Just don't drive a P100D, Plaid or Plaid+ and you be more than happy with the performance of the LR.

I know right! I love my P100D with the free supercharging and premium connectivity as well! And once you pay $2000 for the MCU2 swap (I paid $3k!), then you have 90% of the latest and greatest model... ok maybe 85% of the new refresh ones (door pockets = 5% extra!). :)

Anyways, I'm wondering if someday when our P100D batteries have worn down with age, whether we'll be able to replace the battery with a new chemistry pack from Tesla.

I know right! I love my P100D with the free supercharging and premium connectivity as well! And once you pay $2000 for the MCU2 swap (I paid $3k!), then you have 90% of the latest and greatest model... ok maybe 85% of the new refresh ones (door pockets = 5% extra!). :)

Anyways, I'm wondering if someday when our P100D batteries have worn down with age, whether we'll be able to replace the battery with a new chemistry pack from Tesla.

I'm just hoping there's a way to retrofit the new refresh door panels to my car. I do like having a panoramic sunroof that opens, and ventilated seats as well in my car.

so many data-less pontifications...