Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016.5 90D Charging Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, first time, short time. I'm looking at purchasing a used 90D with 55K miles on it (my first tesla). At the non-Tesla dealership where I found the vehicle they charged the car all night and it only showed a range of 252 miles. Is this an indicator of issues with the battery or is there a setting that needs to be changed? I'm looking for any help you can provide to help me make this decision. Also, any idea how I verify if this vehicle has free supercharging? Thanks

there's a setting for the maximum charge, and it should usually not be set to 100% (that's bad for the battery if done too often). also, charging all night on a standard outlet might have only put 50 miles of charge on the battery.

Range mode doesn’t change the charge, but it does change how many miles it reports by a small amount. My car has been in range mode since the day I got it.

You should have the dealer charge it to any level really, then extrapolate. If it’s set to 50% charge and reports 135 miles, then a full charge is 270. I don’t know the ideal range on a 90D, I think 285. It’s likely it degraded to 265, which is fine.

I’ve moved on from that vehicle and now looking at a similar 2016.5 90D. This one, when charged completely shows a range of 325. Can that be accurate? I thought they were only rated to 290ish. Thoughts?
There is a settings toggle between “rated” and “ideal” range. The car you’re looking at is almost certainly set to ideal.

I’ve moved on from that vehicle and now looking at a similar 2016.5 90D. This one, when charged completely shows a range of 325. Can that be accurate? I thought they were only rated to 290ish. Thoughts?
The car is set to ideal range, not rated, probably. Flip the setting to rated and see what it says. A full charge on my 2016 90D with 60K miles is about 272 rated miles. It was 294 when new I believe.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve