Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 60D used from non-Tesla dealer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I posted something similar to this before but I didn't have the pricing information at that time.

I just put a deposit down on a Model S 60D from a non-Tesla dealer. It has AP1 Hardware w/ standard options and ~5000kms.

Being offered to be for 76k, this prices seems great when comparing CPOs.

Drove it a few separate times, doesn't seem any different then my test drive experience I had at Tesla directly. Any exposure here considering the balance of the 80000km warranty will still be in place? Am I correct in assuming that warranty follows the car?

Thanks

• Warranty follows the car
  • Are you allowed to take for an extended test drive to take it to Tesla SC for inspection (annual service)?
  • "AP1 Hardware w/standard options" doesn't mean much. Options on S60D can range 10's of thousands of dollars. AP1 hardware doesn't mean AP is enabled (could cost you $4-5K Canadian? to enable)?
This could be a good deal, not enough information given to tell. Do you have a way check the car our in person and/or take it for inspection?

• Warranty follows the car
  • Are you allowed to take for an extended test drive to take it to Tesla SC for inspection (annual service)?
  • "AP1 Hardware w/standard options" doesn't mean much. Options on S60D can range 10's of thousands of dollars. AP1 hardware doesn't mean AP is enabled (could cost you $4-5K Canadian? to enable)?
This could be a good deal, not enough information given to tell. Do you have a way check the car our in person and/or take it for inspection?

I have checked it out in person. It's in great shape, no damage.

AP1 is not enabled, only upgrades that were done were the paint and leather seats. Supercharging is enabled. The original order confirmation shows the purchase price as $98500 before taxes.

What kind of items should I look for that wouldn't be obvious?

I certainly don't know everything to look at but the biggest things are to look for signs of a previous accident, suspension play, make sure spacing between the wheels and the wheel wells is even, see if you can call Tesla and ask if they can give you a history of the car. I've read that some people have success with that while others report to be denied.

My advice would be to:

1 Price out a brand new 75D with the same options
2. Subtract whatever rebates are available ($14K in Ontario now, no?)
3. Subtract whatever the 60=>75 upgrade is in Canada ($2K in US)
4. Subtract whatever power liftgate is worth to you
5. Subtract whatever AP2 HW is worth to you

Now compare that price to $76K and decide whether the difference is worth the wear and tear, mileage, and not being able to pick exactly what you want. If the answer is yes, I'd still try to negotiate a Tesla inspection - pay out of pocket for it if you have to, it's worth it in case you find out that some rats lived in the car and chewed up cabling and the car requires $10K in repairs (I've seen this story at least twice on this forum, here is one). Worst case find out what the laws are if you wanted to return it, buy in, inspect ASAP while you still have the option to return it.

Reactions: boaterva
My advice would be to:

Now compare that price to $76K and decide whether the difference is worth the wear and tear, mileage, and not being able to pick exactly what you want. If the answer is yes, I'd still try to negotiate a Tesla inspection - pay out of pocket for it if you have to, it's worth it in case you find out that some rats lived in the car and chewed up cabling and the car requires $10K in repairs (I've seen this story at least twice on this forum, here is one). Worst case find out what the laws are if you wanted to return it, buy in, inspect ASAP while you still have the option to return it.

Power liftgate was always a standard feature in Canada. For at least a few years anyway.

My advice would be to:

The dealer has offered to have Tesla inspect it so long as I put a deposit down committing to the vehicle pending a favourable inspection.