Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 70D screen blanked - required two resets to fix - cause??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Key question for more experienced owners - do the car's screens ever crash while driving? And if so - has anyone had both of them crash simultaneously? This incident has me a bit worried.

Okay, this has me a bit freaked out because I've had this car only a week and have come to depend on Autopilot essentially 100% of the time I'm on freeways. I have loudly defended Tesla's priorities against the "whiners" as I call them who are agitating on the forums for bug fixes. I can live with a slow web browser and outdated navigation if that means Autopilot is getting made more and more reliable.

But the entire center console screen crashing and requiring me to reboot the car?

Question - does this ever happen while driving? It happened to me in a parking lot.

I've had my 2016 70D only a week and the center console screen has already crashed (both last night).

I returned to the parked car after getting some groceries and everything seemed normal except for the fact that the center screen was completely blank. The car was drivable but I decided not to test my luck and remained in the parking lot and called tech support. While on hold with Tesla I found the reset procedure here on the forums and had performed it already and driven away by the time tech support answered my call.

The car required two resets to get the center screen back - the first time I did the reboot only the screen in front of the steering wheel came back on (in fact it didn't blank out at all).

Okayyy - this is annoying. My original post was poorly written and had several redundant sentences - I just read it again. I attempted to edit it for clarity and add a couple thoughts but the new forum software says I can't because 10 minutes has elapsed.

So - sorry for the "first draft" you're stuck with reading. :)

I have had the car for three and a half years. Please do not worry about the blank screens. The car remains drivable as you noted. I have had this happen while driving, parked, and mostly on start up. It has been more common with the last firmware update. Mostly on start up as you noted. It has been a rare event that resolves on its own or by resetting the screen controls. I hope this computer like glitching doesn't sour your driving experience.

And yes both screens have gone out simultaneously twice. Once recently and once about two months into ownership.

I have had the car for three and a half years. Please do not worry about the blank screens. The car remains drivable as you noted. I have had this happen while driving, parked, and mostly on start up. It has been more common with the last firmware update. Mostly on start up as you noted. It has been a rare event that resolves on its own or by resetting the screen controls. I hope this computer like glitching doesn't sour you driving experience.

Thanks. It doesn't sour me but I'm an early adopter in my 30's. However I ordered two Model S's - one for myself and one for my 71 year old technophobe mother. I talked her into this because I want her in the safest car possible and because she drives all over Southern California for various social engagements - I reasoned that even an early beta Autopilot is safer than her driving herself 60-80 miles at night with nobody else in the car with no driver assistance tools.

She has gone from initial trepidation and irritation that her son "pushed" this car on her - to falling completely in love with it and gushing about how much she loves the car and especially Autopilot - how it reduces her fatigue, makes driving long distances a pleasure, etc. etc. etc.

But now I'm picturing dear ole mom bombing along the freeway and all of a sudden her screens blank out, the bluetooth phone interface crashes - and maybe she panics or something.

Last night has me thinking about eating my deposit on the second Model S (not scheduled 'til June) and putting mom in the new 2017 Mercedes E class.

Benzes have given me plenty of mechanical and electrical problems over the years but I've never had software crash in my E55 or Infiniti QX56.

Of course buying the highest tech Mercedes ever made in the first months of its production run is probably not a wise idea...

I have had the car for three and a half years. Please do not worry about the blank screens. The car remains drivable as you noted. I have had this happen while driving, parked, and mostly on start up. It has been more common with the last firmware update. Mostly on start up as you noted. It has been a rare event that resolves on its own or by resetting the screen controls. I hope this computer like glitching doesn't sour your driving experience.

And yes both screens have gone out simultaneously twice. Once recently and once about two months into ownership.

Thanks for sharing. I just found this thread tonight after searching, because my screen blanked again (3rd time). I was at an intersection, put turn signal on, noticed that it was silent (screen shows flashing, but no sound), and then the center console screen went dark. I will probably call the SC tomorrow and report it, but am guessing they will just say it is a software glitch (like my previous experience).