Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 75D CPO, comments/suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We sold our minivan (last ICE) in the summer as we simply weren't driving it due to Covid and kids were home most of the time.

We thought we'd manage with just our Model 3 until the Cybertruck we have on order gets here hopefully in late 2021 (we ordered ASAP for a tri-motor).

But lately, we are finding ourselves either have to really squeeze our schedules or in 2 occasions, we actually rented a car for a day. The main thing is that the kids are back to school (thank god!), and picking them up without a car is just not possible in Vancouver's fall/winter (wet and cold).

We were checking on Tesla's used inventory on a daily basis, and just a few days ago, we came across a great deal. A 2016 Model X with 6 seats (our fav) with 90k. It's only a AP1 car. And of course being a CPO, no ULSC/premium internet as perks, even though we do have a 1 extra warranty.

The price was great as it's a local car and I've not seen any Model X anywhere (private/dealer) this cheap. (It's cheaper than a new Model Y)

The idea currently is that we'd sell/trade-in this car once the Cybertruck is here. Although it is also possible to sell the Model 3 instead and keep the Model X as these would be our daily driver for commute/work purpose.

We are set to take delivery sometime this week. My question to current Model X owners, especially those with earlier AP1 Model X, base on our plans, is this the best option or should I instead go with a new Model Y instead? More than anything on the potential selling/trade-in value in 1-2yrs when CT is here. And the less the cost, the better I think.

Let’s see, first year production model X, almost 100k miles, only one year/10,000 miles warranty, lowest range battery which most likely already degraded some and car to be used in cold winter climate with effective range reduced further by cold winters, buying sight unseen (Tesla no longer provide pictures or repair anything on used car sales and will keep your deposit and shipping charges if you refuse the car at delivery). This would be a big no for me, but as long as you are aware and ok with all this, go for it.

We sold our minivan (last ICE) in the summer as we simply weren't driving it due to Covid and kids were home most of the time.

We thought we'd manage with just our Model 3 until the Cybertruck we have on order gets here hopefully in late 2021 (we ordered ASAP for a tri-motor).

But lately, we are finding ourselves either have to really squeeze our schedules or in 2 occasions, we actually rented a car for a day. The main thing is that the kids are back to school (thank god!), and picking them up without a car is just not possible in Vancouver's fall/winter (wet and cold).

We were checking on Tesla's used inventory on a daily basis, and just a few days ago, we came across a great deal. A 2016 Model X with 6 seats (our fav) with 90k. It's only a AP1 car. And of course being a CPO, no ULSC/premium internet as perks, even though we do have a 1 extra warranty.

The price was great as it's a local car and I've not seen any Model X anywhere (private/dealer) this cheap. (It's cheaper than a new Model Y)

The idea currently is that we'd sell/trade-in this car once the Cybertruck is here. Although it is also possible to sell the Model 3 instead and keep the Model X as these would be our daily driver for commute/work purpose.

We are set to take delivery sometime this week. My question to current Model X owners, especially those with earlier AP1 Model X, base on our plans, is this the best option or should I instead go with a new Model Y instead? More than anything on the potential selling/trade-in value in 1-2yrs when CT is here. And the less the cost, the better I think.

I see Tesla is offering FSD for all 2017 used X Models and IMO paying a little bit extra for 2017 model makes sense than 2016 since they are also going almost at the same price range. It is hard to tell for the specific one you are referring without knowing the price, miles and other cosmetic issues if any.

It breaks down as follow:
90xxx KM or 55k miles
61200CAD.
Clean history
6 seats
1yr/20k KM/12k Miles warranty

The cheapest 2017 6 seater, clean history with FSD I was able to find (it's now gone) was with AP2.0, even though the FSD upgrade should be included, the camera suite won't change, and was price at 79,000 with 55k KM. It'd have about 8more mth of warranty included.

Let's just assume a similar one would come along with similar specs for discussion sake.

The difference is still quite substantial. It's basically paying for FSD and the difference in mileage depreciation.

What I wonder is, say if I bought that at 18k more, in 2yrs, would it be reasonable to expect I can get 18k, or at least most of it back?

The scenario here is basically assuming that we'd sell/trade-in when CT comes. Which one would fare better in terms of depreciation in absolute $ amount (hence my out of pocket cost)?
2016 X no FSD with maybe 120k by then ($61000)
2017 X with FSD, maybe 85k by then. ($79000)
2021 Y no FSD with maybe 30k by then. ($69000)