Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 75D - CPO with a major heart-wrenching issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OldSchool, thanks for your reply. Most certainly if I had purchased the vehicle without expectation of this performance characteristic, I would not take issue with Tesla. What they did with uncorking was both generous and remarkable and if it were something I really wanted, I would need to upgrade from my existing vehicle.

The 4.2 seconds was a big draw for me, and I passed on CPO's that stated 5.2 seconds. I am a car guy, through-and-through, from auto mechanics, to styling, to performance. Do I need the 4.2 seconds for everyday driving? Probably not. Do I want what I paid for and will employ it's use from time to time? Absolutely!!

I agree, life IS short and it is a bit of pain with these pursuits. I see this as an injustice to myself and others that were mislead by Tesla's false advertising. For some, this might not be a big deal, for me, it definitely is.

I just got my car uncorked today (finally, was supposed to be done a while ago but want done properly) and I agree with you. Huge difference between 5.2 and 4.2 if you're a car guy.

It's like ordering and paying for a car with a 3.0L turbo motor and receiving the 2.0 instead.

@ Bored7one4 - Can you post another Dragy 0-60 now that you have been uncorked?

Here you go. Not hitting 4.2 But it was a big improvement from 5.3 ish before uncorked

Attachments

• 32FEEB6E-C1E7-4B78-9D59-AB802B5306F8.png
    32FEEB6E-C1E7-4B78-9D59-AB802B5306F8.png
    302.9 KB · Views: 197
Here you go. Not hitting 4.2 But it was a big improvement from 5.3 ish before uncorked
Battery near 100%?

Also, is that GPS-based? If so, you're probably dealing with the GPS lag/error that can account for a few tenths of a second. There's a lot of debate on this, but I think it's error prone just when you look at how GPS on your phone works.

Teslemetry I think is the best app for Tesla's since it links to your on-board computer. I am sure there's other thread in this forum covering this topic in exhaustive detail.

Either way, 4.46 is pretty awesome!

I have the same issue with the range. I was expecting 250 miles for my mx p90dl but only getting 225 miles at 100 SOC. I’ve contacted my sales rep but no reply. I wanted to return the car and just order a new MX. Seems like a lot of people are being misled by their advertising. If we can all help each other to get a resolution from tesla we should.

I have a similar concern around false advertising but related to range. I recently bought a 90D where they claim the range is 473KM (EPA) but when I charge to 90% it only shows 390KM at best. That's over 35KM short at 90% and 40KM+ short at 100%, or 10% less range than advertised. The whole reason I bought this car was to upgrade the range (and warranty) from my P85. I know the battery degrades over time but being a CPO they should be able to evaluate the vehicle and provide an accurate range or at least state that it's an estimate vs. a definitive amount. When I took it to the SC for various concerns I raised this one, their response was that they have no way of knowing how the battery was treated by the prior owner and "you get what you get". However this is not reflected in their advertising, nor is any physical damage. Anyone who puts a non-refundable deposit down has no idea what they are getting until it's too late.

Has anyone else dealt with this or heard about it?

I'm considering litigation as well...

Latest Update...

I contacted the Maryland Attorney General's office, Consumer Protection Division about my case. At their request, I sent letters to Tesla's Baltimore, MD location, and their headquarters in Palo Alto, CA. Each was sent via certified mail and is below. I have yet to receive any response from Tesla since they received these letters.

8/6/2019
Re: Violation of Maryland Commercial Law​

Certified Mail

Tesla, Inc.
3500 Deer Creek Rd.
Palo Alto, California 94304
Attn: Legal Department

To Whom It May Concern,

I serve this letter as notice where Tesla, Inc. is in clear violation of Maryland Commercial Law Section 13-301, paragraph 1:

False, falsely disparaging, or misleading oral or written statement, visual description, or other representation of any kind which has the capacity, tendency, or effect of deceiving or misleading consumers;​

And paragraph 2, subsection I:

Consumer goods, consumer realty, or consumer services have a sponsorship, approval, accessory, characteristic, ingredient, use, benefit, or quantity which they do not have;​

A prominent characteristic advertised was the vehicle’s performance capabilities, specifically the “0-60” time. The Tesla Model S purchased (VIN 5YJSA1E29GF134507) was misrepresented and does not have the characteristic of a 0-60 time of 4.2 seconds. My evidence from Tesla support technicians indicated that this characteristic should have been included. I attempted to work with Tesla, not against, over the last two and a half months via Tesla’s used car sales team, service center, and customer support. My next steps are as follows:
  • File a formal complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the Maryland Attorney General
  • Seek arbitration with the American Arbitration Association
  • Reach out on social media for awareness, input, and assistance
  • File individual dispute in small claims court
  • Seek class action litigation together with other plaintiffs mislead by Tesla
I will begin performing one or more of the above actions if not contacted by August 19, 2019. The original advertisement is included with this letter for reference.

Reactions: pinke2323 and Exiom
Definitely following this. I ordered a 75D CPO a week ago and haven't even taken delivery yet. I ordered this car because of the 4.2 (silly me didn't save the listing). Hoping to pick up next week and that will be the first thing I check. It has a build date of 5/2016. Thank you for keeping this thread updated!

Latest Update...

I contacted the Maryland Attorney General's office, Consumer Protection Division about my case. At their request, I sent letters to Tesla's Baltimore, MD location, and their headquarters in Palo Alto, CA. Each was sent via certified mail and is below. I have yet to receive any response from Tesla since they received these letters.

8/6/2019
Re: Violation of Maryland Commercial Law​

Certified Mail

Tesla, Inc.
3500 Deer Creek Rd.
Palo Alto, California 94304
Attn: Legal Department

To Whom It May Concern,

I serve this letter as notice where Tesla, Inc. is in clear violation of Maryland Commercial Law Section 13-301, paragraph 1:

False, falsely disparaging, or misleading oral or written statement, visual description, or other representation of any kind which has the capacity, tendency, or effect of deceiving or misleading consumers;​

And paragraph 2, subsection I:

Consumer goods, consumer realty, or consumer services have a sponsorship, approval, accessory, characteristic, ingredient, use, benefit, or quantity which they do not have;​

A prominent characteristic advertised was the vehicle’s performance capabilities, specifically the “0-60” time. The Tesla Model S purchased (VIN 5YJSA1E29GF134507) was misrepresented and does not have the characteristic of a 0-60 time of 4.2 seconds. My evidence from Tesla support technicians indicated that this characteristic should have been included. I attempted to work with Tesla, not against, over the last two and a half months via Tesla’s used car sales team, service center, and customer support. My next steps are as follows:
  • File a formal complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the Maryland Attorney General
  • Seek arbitration with the American Arbitration Association
  • Reach out on social media for awareness, input, and assistance
  • File individual dispute in small claims court
  • Seek class action litigation together with other plaintiffs mislead by Tesla
I will begin performing one or more of the above actions if not contacted by August 19, 2019. The original advertisement is included with this letter for reference.

I'm definitely following this thread. I am in the same boat. Purchased my Model S June 2019. My original listing showed 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and was listed as a 2016 75D. I'm reaching out to EV-CPO to see if an original listing for my car can be found. At delivery software/rear badge showed 70D. I left the delivery without the car and a week later they upgraded to 75D but was told my hardware didn't support uncorking even though the listing stated the 4.2 second 0-60 time. I have emails from sales advisor but they never answered my questions directly. The only time they gave me a clear answer was over the phone verbally. I was so excited at delivery I decided to not pursue it any longer. I admit that I was apathetic about pursuing this but your diligence has fired me up.

My diligence might have paid off. I received a call from the shop supervisor at the Tesla service center in Baltimore. He asked if I received his email, and i said I hadn't yet, but checked and I had gotten an email from him:

We would like to schedule you to come back in for service. It looks like there have been some developments on the uncorking of uncorkable vehicles and we believe this will apply to your 75D. We understand that this has been a trying experience for you thus far, but we are aiming to make it right. Let me know what day the week of the 26th works for you, and we can get your vehicle in to address this.​

He mentioned some hardware fixes to my car, so I inquired further, thinking that the battery pack would need to be swapped out (wanting to know if I would get a new or refurbished one, and if I could option for a larger size and pay the difference). He indicated that is was the battery contactors and the battery management board. I added a couple of trivial items to my appointment and thanked him for addressing my issue. My service appointment is set for the 27th.

Next steps are to test and record my current 0-60 times and max power output as a baseline for comparison after my appointment. I should be near 4.2 seconds after the fixes, but does anyone know what the max power output should be, and how I can obtain that for my tests?

This is good news and hopefully my 75D will be to the specs of what I ordered. Stay tuned!

I made a call into Tesla Service Center in Costa Mesa, CA. I asked them if my VIN was eligible for the “performance” uncorking and after 30 minutes of being on hold they told me that the hardware in my car will support uncorking. They made me an appointment for Sep. 6th. Will update the thread post upgrade.

...does anyone know what the max power output should be, and how I can obtain that for my tests?...
See the Performance Metrics Thread. Power should go from 275 to 340 kW. Torque should go from 470 to 625 Nm. You'll only notice the torque change.

I would buy a copy of Powertools for iOS or Dashboard for Tesla for Android assuming the API still works on your MCU1. I can impute the torque from the raw data for you. If you just watch the power usage and you don't get 4.2 seconds 0-60, then without the raw data you won't know why it is too slow. Try to do a few runs on the old settings before the service center makes any changes.

Last edited:
He indicated that is was the battery contactors and the battery management board.
*snipped*
This is good news and hopefully my 75D will be to the specs of what I ordered.

This indeed is very good news. I am sure Tesla will probably be much more careful in their CPO listings or "pre-upgrade" their 75D inventory from now on.

I am certain Tesla always knew what the actual hardware differences were, their issues probably lies in where even they themselves don't even know for certain which exact cars were "uncorkable" especially for the period where changes were happening... adding to that is their website team probably either just got lazy or doesn't know better and simply used the newest specs of 75D for all 75D since they are all 75Ds and didn't know there are differences.

But accidentally misrepresenting their CPO inventory is still misrepresenting... and it's a little sad it has come to you going down the legal route for them to make things right... but at least they now appearing to be making things right by upgrading your car with the necessary parts. They probably figured it is easier and cheaper to upgrade all 75D sold advertised with the uncorked speed which were corked and cannot be uncorked.

Please do report back... while it doesn't concern me it is really interesting to know these things.

See the Performance Metrics Thread. Power should go from 275 to 340 kW. Torque should go from 470 to 625 Nm. You'll only notice the torque change.

I would buy a copy of Powertools for iOS or Dashboard for Tesla for Android assuming the API still works on your MCU1. I can impute the torque from the raw data for you. If you just watch the power usage and you don't get 4.2 seconds 0-60, then without the raw data you won't know why it is too slow. Try to do a few runs on the old settings before the service center makes any changes.

Thanks. I will download it over the weekend and give it a go.

• Funny
Reactions: anon52695
I ended up using Teslemetry for my test runs since I had already purchased it. I found a flat side-road in a nearby office park. I first did a run in "Chill" mode:
View media item 120214Next I did two runs in Standard mode and got the same result each time:
View media item 120213I did not expect 5 seconds flat. Here's the details of the run:
View media item 120212I plan on finding another place to make another couple test runs before my service appointment on Tuesday.

Reactions: EV-CPO
My appointment was suppose to be now, but I was contacted late yesterday to reschedule because all of the parts won't be in until Friday. The Saga continues into next week.

According to the service ticket, this is the part that will "fix" my uncorking issue:
Field Kit Pyro Fuse Pack 2.0 (1084549-00-F)​
I have no idea what this is or if it's even related to what the tech told me on the phone about needing the battery contactors and battery management module.

My appointment was suppose to be now, but I was contacted late yesterday to reschedule because all of the parts won't be in until Friday. The Saga continues into next week.

According to the service ticket, this is the part that will "fix" my uncorking issue:
Field Kit Pyro Fuse Pack 2.0 (1084549-00-F)​
I have no idea what this is or if it's even related to what the tech told me on the phone about needing the battery contactors and battery management module.

Yes, an updated pyro fuse was the "hardware change" that made the uncorking possible. My read of this situation is your car is indeed NOT on the "uncorkable" list but your persistence has motivated them to make good on their sales promise and retrofit the hardware to enable what they sold you.

Good on your for not taking no for an answer.

Oh I can't wait for the final numbers. Please do as you did above as you get your car back. This enables so many to pay for the Pyro fuse to be installed and get this done. It requires removal of the battery, but its either that or buy a new car with better numbers. I vote upgrade the one you have.

Please post those final results when done.

Posting the service order would be good as well. Even though its on them there must be an order on paper or PDF. Blank out your VIN and other please.

Had my appointment Tuesday and once again was ready to have my car uncorked, along with some other stuff.

Here's what else I had done:
  • Replaced my 3rd gen floor mats with 4th gen. Probably a known issue somewhere here on the forums where the velcro pads lose their adhesion to the bottom of the mats. The 4th gen mats have that velco sewn into the mat
  • Added the Tesla "T" emblem back to the rear hatch. The previous owner completely debadged it, but I like the "T" and had that added. I left off the "Model S" and "75D" to still keep it a cleaner look
  • Had a tire repaired - nail. This cost me $70 and I could have easily done it myself or had it done elsewhere cheaper, but there are plenty of times I will pay for convenience.
What I didn't have done:
  • Uncorking!
Even though they ordered the fuse pack, they still needed another part of two to complete the uncorking. The part(s) were in Rockville and I setup the appointment for next Friday in Owings Mills (time to get the part). The service tech said it would be an all-day job that required them to completely remove the battery pack, do something, do something else, and then seal and pressure test it. Apparently there's only 2 or 3 techs as the Owings Mills location certified to perform this level of work. I might not get the car back until Monday, at which I asked for a loaner. He said for me to call next Wednesday about getting one.

So... another episodic continuation.