Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 75D - CPO with a major heart-wrenching issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same issue, I purchased mine used a month ago, its a 137xxx vin number, 4 scheduled appointments and still no answer. It is eating me up and I will push till the do it. This is why I hate not being able to inspect my car before purchase.

Keep at it and send certified letters to the dealership and Tesla corporate. This is what broke the dam/log jam for me. See my earlier posts about what I wrote in terms of violation of the state's consumer protection laws. You can also message me directly if needed.

Option 3, after good will and possible litigation, you could severely mistreat the battery pack, with deep discharges, lots of time (90 at high SoC (state of charge) and as much supercharging as you can. I would guess in a year or two you would need a new battery pack and at that time demand the right battery or an upgrade (90kWh).

Hey, noob non-owner here, trying to drive cross-country to see my son in a rented 75D and I just wanted to shout you out for the sig "If my Tesla gets stolen does it become an Edison?" SUPER funny and what % of people who read it do you think get it?

Keep at it and send certified letters to the dealership and Tesla corporate. This is what broke the dam/log jam for me. See my earlier posts about what I wrote in terms of violation of the state's consumer protection laws. You can also message me directly if needed.
Thank you, I am in the process of getting the original listing and will also contact my local attorney generals office to help me out and then send the certified letter. I took a month break cause I was busy.
At least Tesla amended the acceleration figures on their website to reflect which cars are no uncorked so its a step in the right direction and definitely gives me even more of a case now that they are being deceitful. Im really hoping I can get my car fixed towards the mid-end of next month.
I am eternally grateful to have found my way onto this forum because I felt eternally lost and this definately provides a guiding light towards what I have to do.

For those of you who are getting told that it is not possible. I have a 2016.5 MS 75D. I called Tesla SC to confirm my VIN before I made my appointment.

Attachments

• AE8C49E4-EC42-4E08-8245-D440BDEB6857.png
    AE8C49E4-EC42-4E08-8245-D440BDEB6857.png
    663.6 KB · Views: 169
I'm having a similar situation. Purchased a MS 75D advertised as 4.2 seconds. Had no clue it wasn't uncorked until I drove one that was was. Yes there is a huge difference. I asked the guys at the CS and was told it could not be uncorked due to the battery or some sort of hardware compatibility. I think they thought I was asking for a boost or something that the battery could not support.

After my service I did some digging and luckily I was able to find this post, huge thanks to everyone. Anyhow I realized that I did not get what I thought I was getting, with the 0-60 in 4.2 being huge factor when purchasing. So I tried a diff CS, and of course this time the person just read off of the screen saying they did everything that can be done to the car, but didn't quite answer the question of if it has been uncorked or not. I asked if he can research on his end and the next day luckily one of the guys at the CS reached out and did understand what was going on. In my situation my vehicle was a 60D converted to a 75D and some information didn't get transferred for uncorking. He said they should now be able to have the service performed at my next service appointment, I'll keep you updated. Thanks again to everyone for sharing their experiences. It sounds like it's just a matter of reaching the right person at Tesla that understands what is going on with the uncorking service not having been performed.

I'm having a similar situation. Purchased a MS 75D advertised as 4.2 seconds. Had no clue it wasn't uncorked until I drove one that was was. [.....] I'll keep you updated. Thanks again to everyone for sharing their experiences. It sounds like it's just a matter of reaching the right person at Tesla that understands what is going on with the uncorking service not having been performed.

As my story tells, I went round and round with several people that simply pleaded ignorance or failed to acknowledge my issue. It was the not-so-subtle threat of legal action via consumer protection laws that knocked the door down. I hope you find someone in Tesla that is willing to take up your cause and make you whole. If not, a couple of certified letter ought to get their attention.

I believe in Tesla and what the company is doing. Not everything they are doing is fair or perfect and is indicative of such a young and immature car/tech company. The fact that uncorking is even possible is a marvel unto itself that I've never heard its equal outside of custom, expensive, warranty breaking chip mods to stock computers.

The fight is worth it! I enjoy my car every single drive.. especially getting that near 4 second jump from zero.

As my story tells, I went round and round with several people that simply pleaded ignorance or failed to acknowledge my issue. It was the not-so-subtle threat of legal action via consumer protection laws that knocked the door down. I hope you find someone in Tesla that is willing to take up your cause and make you whole. If not, a couple of certified letter ought to get their attention.

I believe in Tesla and what the company is doing. Not everything they are doing is fair or perfect and is indicative of such a young and immature car/tech company. The fact that uncorking is even possible is a marvel unto itself that I've never heard its equal outside of custom, expensive, warranty breaking chip mods to stock computers.

The fight is worth it! I enjoy my car every single drive.. especially getting that near 4 second jump from zero.

I picked up my car today and they were able to perform the uncorking =). If I didn't stumble upon this post I would have probably brushed it off not knowing that this was even an issue and kept the 5.2, mucho thanks again. I do love my Tesla, and they have made good on the 4.2. Had to take it to two different SC's to get it in front of the right engineer that had the knowledge to get it done, but no complaints here. I agree the amount of power you get from the uncorking is unreal. Id be hesitant to try any sort of after market mods outside of Tesla. Cheers!

Reactions: EV-CPO and powaking
By far it is the most unique, fun, exhilarating, head-turning, futuristic, bad-ass pieces of machinery I have ever laid hands on. I think anyone short of fighter pilots would say the same thing.
FWIW - extended family (in-laws & outlaws) includes a retired US Navy aircraft carrier Captain. We met when his son married my niece. I gave him a ride in my uncorked 2017 S100D. He couldn’t get enough pedal-to-the floor launches.

What is the build date of your Model S?

My 75d is a September 2016 build and after keeping my car for 3 days, my local SC told me (today) that “Engineering” told them it can’t be uncorked. So bummed...

8/16
If the advertised was 0-60 in 4.2secs then you have a strong argument. I noticed they are more careful with the listings now, noting 0-60 in 5.2secs unless it is the 90Ds which are listed as 4.2sec.

8/16
If the advertised was 0-60 in 4.2secs then you have a strong argument.

I bought mine from a third party without any claim about 4.2 seconds.

From what I’ve gathered, in addition to a firmware update, uncorking my car would also require a hardware update: “Field Kit Pyro Fuse Pack 2.0” (part # 1084549-00-F). I already confirmed that my “BMS_iSensorProtocolNumber” is greater than 3, which is another prereq.

Could it be that Tesla was more willing to do this hardware update in the past, whereas now they’re trying to limit uncorking to vehicles that only require the less labor-intensive firmware update (or if 4.2 was advertised)?

...Could it be that Tesla was more willing to do this hardware update in the past, whereas now they’re trying to limit uncorking to vehicles that only require the less labor-intensive firmware update (or if 4.2 was advertised)?
I am unaware of any case ever where the pyro fuse was updated except for the rare case the car was accidentally sold as 4.2 and engineering got involved in a big escalation.

Although it would be funny if you could pay for the pyro fuse as a safety update and then surprisingly get uncorked on a previously prohibited car. I am pretty sure that is impossible.

Glad to bring awareness and discussion to existing and future Tesla owners. Cucubits, your journey didn't seem that rough and I'm glad they made you whole - you are completely right about that sour taste... that feeling of being duped or ripped off, and powerless to do anything about it. I agree, the drop from 5.2 to 4.2 is very noticeable and exhilarating. Fortunately your vehicle's hardware was already fully compatible and just required the firmware update. If you read any of my previous posts, they had to drop my battery pack and replace several parts to uncork mine (4/2016 build).

For anyone else looking at a used 2016 75D, there is no easy answer. Tesla (purposefully) took away the ability to query the car's computer and pull the attribute indicating if it's uncorked - perf_config. Ignorance and/or apathy will prevent most corked owners from having an uncorked 75D, and I'm sure Tesla banks on this in the long run. If the 4.2 seconds is a deciding factory during your purchase, be prepared to test it, and, if it's corked, be prepared to put in some work to push to have it uncorked.

This community here is extremely knowledgeable and supportive. Many on here played a large role in helping me resolve my issue. If you are reading this and run into issues, you will not be left stranded on these forums.
Omg I've been looking for this thread in these past 2 years! I got dupped as well and after 30+ emails, call technicians, I gave up my pursuit. However, I do have screenshots and your story now and I will fight for this. I was 24 when I paid nearly $60k for my Tesla Model S 75D thinking it was just as fast as the 100D and much better of a bargin. It was literally the deciding factor along with the space grey look. I will take your story and fight on! You're the man

Omg I've been looking for this thread in these past 2 years! I got dupped as well and after 30+ emails, call technicians, I gave up my pursuit. However, I do have screenshots and your story now and I will fight for this. I was 24 when I paid nearly $60k for my Tesla Model S 75D thinking it was just as fast as the 100D and much better of a bargin. It was literally the deciding factor along with the space grey look. I will take your story and fight on! You're the man

Let's see how this goes! I'll keep y'all posted but may need help!

Attachments

• IMG_6354.jpg
    IMG_6354.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6355.jpg
    IMG_6355.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 56
I have a 2016, built in Aug. A year ago I reached to my local SC to get it uncorked. They said they were no longer offering that service. I contacted another SC 1.5 hours away. They verified it could be done and scheduled an appointment.
I am pleased with the results. The point of my response, is to try another SC, if your car is capable of being uncorked , another center may do it. Don't mention, the previous conversation regarding it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Krash and All In
I have a 2016, built in Aug. A year ago I reached to my local SC to get it uncorked. They said they were no longer offering that service. I contacted another SC 1.5 hours away. They verified it could be done and scheduled an appointment.
I am pleased with the results. The point of my response, is to try another SC, if your car is capable of being uncorked , another center may do it. Don't mention, the previous conversation regarding it.
Thanks for the advise. I reach out to another SC. Let's see.

Reactions: SCharged
Lmfao got shafted :(

Wow, that's low. Either they're that stupid, don't know their job or just willfully lied to you. That's sort of what I had from one service center nearby. The rep there lied to my face saying that the car is already uncorked and he even called a tech who told me the same thing. Went to another service center and they happily uncorked it in about an hour.

The acceleration difference is very noticeable. Mine is also a 5 year old S.

Reactions: nealpatel167