Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 75D - CPO with a major heart-wrenching issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, that's low. Either they're that stupid, don't know their job or just willfully lied to you. That's sort of what I had from one service center nearby. The rep there lied to my face saying that the car is already uncorked and he even called a tech who told me the same thing. Went to another service center and they happily uncorked it in about an hour.

The acceleration difference is very noticeable. Mine is also a 5 year old S.
Wow. I live in Chicago. I've tried Westmont (the place I took delivery), and Schaumburg. Both are playing hard ball. They said they do not perform the 'uncorking' process on a 5 year old car but mind you, I still have 2+ years left on my CPO warranty. I reached out to Highland Park via email so lets see how that goes.

I have the screenshots from when I bought the car so I have all the proof I need as well as the data provided by our fellow members (thanks guys!) If it does get uncorked, I will gladly pay for the MCU upgrade. Otherwise, sell it to Carvana and be done with this saga.

If you don't mind me asking, what SC did you go to in TX? I'm moving to the Farmer's Branch area in a few months.

I can't believe he said its due to the age of the car lol. Like not even close man, my 2016 Audi SQ5 is just as fast as it was the day I bought it.

Last edited:
Wow. I live in Chicago. I've tried Westmont (the place I took delivery), and Schaumburg. Both are playing hard ball. They said they do not perform the 'uncorking' process on a 5 year old car but mind you, I still have 2+ years left on my CPO warranty. I reached out to Highland Park via email so lets see how that goes.

I have the screenshots from when I bought the car so I have all the proof I need as well as the data provided by our fellow members (thanks guys!) If it does get uncorked, I will gladly pay for the MCU upgrade. Otherwise, sell it to Carvana and be done with this saga.

If you don't mind me asking, what SC did you go to in TX? I'm moving to the Farmer's Branch area in a few months.

I can't believe he said its due to the age of the car lol. Like not even close man, my 2016 Audi SQ5 is just as fast as it was the day I bought it.
for a 5/16 build...really... I bet I'll get ignored again...

Attachments

• IMG_6384.PNG
    IMG_6384.PNG
    351.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6387.PNG
    IMG_6387.PNG
    145.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6385.PNG
    IMG_6385.PNG
    143 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6383.PNG
    IMG_6383.PNG
    154.5 KB · Views: 45
for a 5/16 build...really... I bet I'll get ignored again...
1621533786513.png

Ummm how is my car going to receive the 'uncorking' if its already live? I understand Tesla was nice about giving the upgrade to begin with but this false advertising and round and round is so flipping annoying.

Apologies if anyone is getting annoyed of me. Just wanted to share my saga.

Last edited:

The service center where the rep and tech lied to me was the one from Plano. Make sure you stay away from them. The service center where I actually picked up the car initially and where they uncorked it without any issues is the one from Dallas (next to Love Field airport).

The SQ5 is a very nice car, I was close to getting one at some point.

What on earth is possessing you to move to texas? lol
No, seriously, during the summer it's ridiculously hot and everything is flat and far away. I had to come here for work but I'm constantly searching for ways to get away from this place. Not to mention the folks in charge, just look up some insane decisions the dear governor made here and how many support him... it really is shameful.

Haha I'm moving for a business opportunity haha.

So an update in the car, Tesla actually asked if I would be open to having them repurchase the car! What a turn of events. I'll keep you guys posted on if this actually happens because it has to pass through senior leadership at Tesla. The individual I spoke to acknowledged that it was Tesla's mistake and it should not have happened. Fingers crossed

Reactions: cucubits and croman
Haha I'm moving for a business opportunity haha.

So an update in the car, Tesla actually asked if I would be open to having them repurchase the car! What a turn of events. I'll keep you guys posted on if this actually happens because it has to pass through senior leadership at Tesla. The individual I spoke to acknowledged that it was Tesla's mistake and it should not have happened. Fingers crossed

Great. Good luck. Tesla highland park has been great to me and I'm not sure about the other locations but it's clear that they failed you.

Reactions: nealpatel167
PM me your VIN and email address and I'll see if I can find anything.
Sir, I am in a similar situation. Found my 2016 Tesla Model S 75 using EV-CPO. It stated rage of 249 miles and 0-60 of 4.3 seconds. The range was important to me for my long commute, as I need about 230-235 miles to drive to and back from work without having to charge. When I picked up the car, it said 70 on the back. I asked the sales rep, and they said they can confirm that it has been updated to a 75 with "longer range and quicker acceleration". They changed the decal from 70 to 75. I supercharged to max capacity, and it only goes to 220. I went to SC, and after 2-3 conversations, they said that its basically a 70, and max was 234, not 249. With some degradation, 220 is about right. This is VERY disappointing, as the higher range was a key issue for me. However, I cannot find the original AD to prove my point. Can you please help? I wonder if it's in EV-CPO database somewhere...

if you need 235 miles for commute without charging, a 70, 75, 85, 90 Model S is the wrong choice. Even worse to buy it used - as there will be degradation.
Agreed
…I went to SC, and after 2-3 conversations, they said that its basically a 70, and max was 234, not 249. With some degradation, 220 is about right…
If you turn the wheels all the way to the left and look under the right wheel well, maybe taking a picture with your cell phone, you’ll see the battery sticker. It should be an original 75 that is no longer software locked to 70. Original max doesn’t really matter. Only current max matters now.

Reactions: gaswalla
if you need 235 miles for commute without charging, a 70, 75, 85, 90 Model S is the wrong choice. Even worse to buy it used - as there will be degradation.
Yeah, you probably want a new Model 3 LR at a minimum - a new Model S LR or possibly a Model Y. If you're driving those distances daily, you'll probably be driving pretty fast (knock 10-30% off the EPA efficiency depending on how fast you're driving) - you'll get nowhere near the EPA range.

Combine that with you'll probably only be charging to 90% and want at least a 10% buffer at the bottom, a 250 mile car is only 200 miles driven at EPA efficiency. Knock off additional range for high speeds and now you're looking at 140-180 miles for "real world" range between charges.

Sir, I am in a similar situation. Found my 2016 Tesla Model S 75 using EV-CPO. It stated rage of 249 miles and 0-60 of 4.3 seconds. The range was important to me for my long commute, as I need about 230-235 miles to drive to and back from work without having to charge. When I picked up the car, it said 70 on the back. I asked the sales rep, and they said they can confirm that it has been updated to a 75 with "longer range and quicker acceleration". They changed the decal from 70 to 75. I supercharged to max capacity, and it only goes to 220. I went to SC, and after 2-3 conversations, they said that its basically a 70, and max was 234, not 249. With some degradation, 220 is about right. This is VERY disappointing, as the higher range was a key issue for me. However, I cannot find the original AD to prove my point. Can you please help? I wonder if it's in EV-CPO database somewhere...

This is pretty normal for a 75. I get ~220 indicated range as well on my 75D. If you discharge it to below 5% and charge it back up to 100%, you maybe be able to squeeze out some more range as it resets the calibration for that meter.

Even brand new I don't think the car displayed 249 miles to be honest.

Sadly it looks like I may be in the very same boat.

Purchased a red 2016 75D (07/2016 build), advertised with the usual 4.2s and I'm not getting anything under 5. Warm day, level surface, high SOC, Dashboard app shows bang on 5.2 seconds.

Had a service center visit a few days ago and they told me "the car is not uncorkable". Didn't try to argue with them since the guy explaining to me didn't seem to know a lot about this. He called the tech who checked the car and she just told me the same.

This also was a deciding factor when I purchased it and will surely mess up the car's resale value so I don't want to let this go. I do have a screenshot of Tesla website from when I purchased it and I just sent an email to my sales and delivery advisors but other than this, I'm not sure how to proceed.
Hi. Maybe can tou send screenshots?