Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 75D - CPO with a major heart-wrenching issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my 75D a few hours ago. I asked "I assume the uncorking went as planned?" to which the service rep replied "The technician stated that the procedure went as planned".

My car only had 20% charge when I picked it up which would diminish the power available to test the uncorking. I plan on doing some test 0-60 runs in the next few days to verify the uncork.

I assume there is not other way to know since they hid the perf_config?

Reactions: jvmoore1
Just picked up my 75D a few hours ago. I asked "I assume the uncorking went as planned?" to which the service rep replied "The technician stated that the procedure went as planned".

My car only had 20% charge when I picked it up which would diminish the power available to test the uncorking. I plan on doing some test 0-60 runs in the next few days to verify the uncork.

I assume there is not other way to know since they hid the perf_config?

I received my uncorking this past Friday at the Costa Mesa, CA service center. They had the car for pretty much the whole day. I no longer can see my perf_config value when I query my vehicle config post uncork but I must say I can TOTALLY feel the difference in power. The car on take-off even sounds slightly different. I will do a few test runs also and post results over the weekend.

Reactions: Dayreg
Finally got around to some test runs this evening to verify my uncorking. Results:

2016 S75D - Corked vs. Uncorked.JPG

Uncorked 0-60 Time_small.jpg

As you can imagine, I am quite please with the results and satisfied with the outcome of my efforts to make Tesla own up to their advertising. It took months and I feel like it was worth it.

Thanks to EVERYONE that has had any active or passive interest in this endeavor. Keeping this post updated has been an additional motivation for me.

0CD0EDAA-FDB9-4105-A816-0376FCBC1879.png
Finally got around to some test runs this evening to verify my uncorking. Results:

View attachment 459952

As you can imagine, I am quite please with the results and satisfied with the outcome of my efforts to make Tesla own up to their advertising. It took months and I feel like it was worth it.

Thanks to EVERYONE that has had any active or passive interest in this endeavor. Keeping this post updated has been an additional motivation for me.

just read through this whole thread, and found it very useful.

I have a 2016 75D inbound currently, which was marketed and sold as a 4.2sec 0-60 car. How can i validate prior to delivery that I’m actually getting what i think i am?

the car is badged as a 70D, which was updated to a 75D at some point.

my vin is a 144xxx and has a 6/2016 build date.

View attachment 460413
...How can i validate prior to delivery that I’m actually getting what i think i am?....
If they would let you test drive it you could access the CANBus on a performance run but you would need a harness, reader and app. Or estimate it w Draggy hardware. You can't pull an API Runlog without login credentials.

And you can't see the P setting yourself ever.

Do you have a return period?

What Krash said, you use to have a p_config setting you could access that would indicate corked vs. uncorked. I think we created such a stir with this that they simply removed it from view so that people like you are left in ignorance.

The BEST and FIRST thing I did was contact Tesla support to ask if the vehicle is uncorked. I have documented proof from Tesla support on two occasions that my vehicle either was uncorked or was capable. I think this gave me some leverage when I finally submitted my false advertising claim. YOU SHOULD DO THIS ASAP.

I used the Teslemetry app for my runs, but there are plenty of other ways to know your 0-60. The app is super easy to use and all you need it a flat, strait line of pavement to perform your test run. At 70% or more charge, with no one else in the car, you should get 4.25 seconds on that app. If you get anything over 5 seconds, you're are corked.

What Krash said, you use to have a p_config setting you could access that would indicate corked vs. uncorked. I think we created such a stir with this that they simply removed it from view so that people like you are left in ignorance.

The BEST and FIRST thing I did was contact Tesla support to ask if the vehicle is uncorked. I have documented proof from Tesla support on two occasions that my vehicle either was uncorked or was capable. I think this gave me some leverage when I finally submitted my false advertising claim. YOU SHOULD DO THIS ASAP.

I used the Teslemetry app for my runs, but there are plenty of other ways to know your 0-60. The app is super easy to use and all you need it a flat, strait line of pavement to perform your test run. At 70% or more charge, with no one else in the car, you should get 4.25 seconds on that app. If you get anything over 5 seconds, you're are corked.

thank you for this.

so are you saying tesla support misinformed you that the car was uncorked when in fact it wasn’t capable? Doesn’t give me much confidence in asking them if this was the case.

Someone at tesla should be able to confirm based on my VIN if the car is capable or not right? I’m still able to reject the car up until signing docs, so I’m not too concerned but would like to have this all figured out ahead of time

Tesla support can do one or all of the following:
  1. They can check the VIN to see if the vehicle is capable of being uncorked. This was my case and I have the email stating the my VIN is listed as being capable.
  2. They can remotely look at the hardware in the vehicle to see if it is capable. This happened to me about a month after I got the vehicle. They first said the VIN was capable, but then checked and said the hardware was not.
  3. They can remotely check the firmware to see if the vehicle is uncorked. There's a specific firmware that needs to be applied. I finally got this firmware a couple weeks ago after they upgraded the necessary hardware.
You need to be a pain-in-the-ass about this. Call and email Tesla support or sales. Some won't know what uncorking is at all and you just need to keep going until you get answers.

Up until you sign the documents, you can reject the car. Your down payment stays with Tesla and can be rolled forward to another vehicle. If you paid to have it transported, that fee might be forfeit.

Even through my experience of dealing with this issue and the sales/service people along the way that didn't care to make this right, there are plenty of really awesome people working for Tesla that do care. My experience in no way tainted my thoughts and feelings about my Model S. By far it is the most unique, fun, exhilarating, head-turning, futuristic, bad-ass pieces of machinery I have ever laid hands on. I think anyone short of fighter pilots would say the same thing.

Tesla support can do one or all of the following:
  1. They can check the VIN to see if the vehicle is capable of being uncorked. This was my case and I have the email stating the my VIN is listed as being capable.
  2. They can remotely look at the hardware in the vehicle to see if it is capable. This happened to me about a month after I got the vehicle. They first said the VIN was capable, but then checked and said the hardware was not.
  3. They can remotely check the firmware to see if the vehicle is uncorked. There's a specific firmware that needs to be applied. I finally got this firmware a couple weeks ago after they upgraded the necessary hardware.
You need to be a pain-in-the-ass about this. Call and email Tesla support or sales. Some won't know what uncorking is at all and you just need to keep going until you get answers.

Up until you sign the documents, you can reject the car. Your down payment stays with Tesla and can be rolled forward to another vehicle. If you paid to have it transported, that fee might be forfeit.

Even through my experience of dealing with this issue and the sales/service people along the way that didn't care to make this right, there are plenty of really awesome people working for Tesla that do care. My experience in no way tainted my thoughts and feelings about my Model S. By far it is the most unique, fun, exhilarating, head-turning, futuristic, bad-ass pieces of machinery I have ever laid hands on. I think anyone short of fighter pilots would say the same thing.

thank you for the details. I’ll stop in to my local service center tomorrow to see what the deal is.

fortunately tesla policies now allow for a full refund of the $2500 deposit and no charge on shipping fees if i decline the vehicle.

Sadly it looks like I may be in the very same boat.

Purchased a red 2016 75D (07/2016 build), advertised with the usual 4.2s and I'm not getting anything under 5. Warm day, level surface, high SOC, Dashboard app shows bang on 5.2 seconds.

Had a service center visit a few days ago and they told me "the car is not uncorkable". Didn't try to argue with them since the guy explaining to me didn't seem to know a lot about this. He called the tech who checked the car and she just told me the same.

This also was a deciding factor when I purchased it and will surely mess up the car's resale value so I don't want to let this go. I do have a screenshot of Tesla website from when I purchased it and I just sent an email to my sales and delivery advisors but other than this, I'm not sure how to proceed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheburashka
Sadly it looks like I may be in the very same boat.

Purchased a red 2016 75D (07/2016 build), advertised with the usual 4.2s and I'm not getting anything under 5. Warm day, level surface, high SOC, Dashboard app shows bang on 5.2 seconds.

Had a service center visit a few days ago and they told me "the car is not uncorkable". Didn't try to argue with them since the guy explaining to me didn't seem to know a lot about this. He called the tech who checked the car and she just told me the same.

This also was a deciding factor when I purchased it and will surely mess up the car's resale value so I don't want to let this go. I do have a screenshot of Tesla website from when I purchased it and I just sent an email to my sales and delivery advisors but other than this, I'm not sure how to proceed.

Sorry about that man.

Unfortunately, once you've already purchased, you are now a nuisance to Tesla.

Sorry about that man.

Unfortunately, once you've already purchased, you are now a nuisance to Tesla.

Sadly it's true. While it's still a very cool and fast car, if I don't get this solved, it'll just eat at me. Had this been disclosed correctly on the website, 100% I would have not purchased it.

By the way, this is what the service center said:
Screenshot_1.jpg

Of course this time it's complete radio silence from both deliver and sales advisors. Why was I even expecting them to reply to my email...

I'll probably schedule the uncorking request at another service center (there are two nearby) and if they tell me the same, that'll probably be it. I don't expect to be able to do much about this. It really makes me mad because I asked EVERY person I spoke with during the purchasing process about the car being uncorked. Some had no idea what I was talking about and the delivery guy said "of course it is". Nothing written.

I'll still enjoy the car but with a bitter taste and I'll keep an eye out to get rid of it as soon as I can or I find something better :(

On the other hand... since it's a pretty clear case of false advertising, I wonder if I could get a lawyer to help me. What sort of lawyer should I consider to seek out? Any tips in TX (DFW)?

Of course this time it's complete radio silence from both deliver and sales advisors. Why was I even expecting them to reply to my email...

I'll probably schedule the uncorking request at another service center (there are two nearby) and if they tell me the same, that'll probably be it. I don't expect to be able to do much about this. It really makes me mad because I asked EVERY person I spoke with during the purchasing process about the car being uncorked. Some had no idea what I was talking about and the delivery guy said "of course it is". Nothing written.

I'll still enjoy the car but with a bitter taste and I'll keep an eye out to get rid of it as soon as I can or I find something better :(

On the other hand... since it's a pretty clear case of false advertising, I wonder if I could get a lawyer to help me. What sort of lawyer should I consider to seek out? Any tips in TX (DFW)?

edchenlaw.com

• Love
Reactions: cucubits
Got quite an interesting update to the story:

My sales advisor emailed me a few hours ago:

"I just reached out to our support team and they have remotely uncorked your vehicle successfully. Please allow up to 24hrs for it to take effect."

I wasn't in a rush to jump for joy because one can never know if uncorking means the same to both of us, but I couldn't wait to go for a quick drive.

Here's the fun part: it's clear they did something since the car now needs about 9 whole seconds to get to 60mph. Of course first I checked was if chill mode was on. It wasn't. I turned it on/off a few times but no luck. I didn't want to reboot the car/MCU, maybe we just need to wait until tomorrow...

Anyone experience anything similar?

• Informative
Reactions: powaking