Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 90D vs 2017 75D Distance Delta?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been eyeing up 2016 90D's opposed to 75D's to get the couple extra miles... I've seen most getting between 220-235 miles fully charged. I just saw a posting for a 2017 75D that stated 235 miles at full charge. Is it true that there is barely any difference between the '16 90Ds and '17 75Ds?

Put the range aside for a moment.

In October 2016, Teslas got Autopilot hardware 2.0, which adds a bunch more cameras and sensors, and a replacablecomputer. If you buy a 2016 Tesla from earlier in the year, you have a dead-end autopilotthat cannot be modernized.

In August 2017, Tesla got hardware 2.5, which is a smaller, computer-only, upgrade.

If you don't care about autopilot, get what you will, but if you care, check the specific car you're thinking about buying.

I've been eyeing up 2016 90D's opposed to 75D's to get the couple extra miles... I've seen most getting between 220-235 miles fully charged. I just saw a posting for a 2017 75D that stated 235 miles at full charge. Is it true that there is barely any difference between the '16 90Ds and '17 75Ds?
2016 90D was rated at 257 at purchase. I have 50k on mine and get 252 at 100%. I have a late year with AP 2.0. Any build after Oct 2016 was the same as the 2017s until 2.5 was introduced mid year.

Put the range aside for a moment.

In October 2016, Teslas got Autopilot hardware 2.0, which adds a bunch more cameras and sensors, and a replacablecomputer. If you buy a 2016 Tesla from earlier in the year, you have a dead-end autopilotthat cannot be modernized.

In August 2017, Tesla got hardware 2.5, which is a smaller, computer-only, upgrade.

If you don't care about autopilot, get what you will, but if you care, check the specific car you're thinking about buying.

I'm familiar with the trade-offs of the older legacy models, the intent of this thread is around range tradeoffs. I'm coming from a Model 3, since our MX will be mostly a family hauler I'm not concerned about the older MCU or AP1. I've used AP1 and it works great for our needs. No need for Netflix or FSD. I never used any of the EAP functions on my model 3. For us it's about warranty and range for our family MX. Older the model... more savings for another future Tesla (or more Tesla stock).

2016 90D was rated at 257 at purchase. I have 50k on mine and get 252 at 100%. I have a late year with AP 2.0. Any build after Oct 2016 was the same as the 2017s until 2.5 was introduced mid year.
This is helpful to know. I've read some articles around the 90D having much quicker battery degradation in early models, so apparently post October '16 might have better longevity.

I have an early production 2016 90D (non-signature) with 57k (bought with 38k miles) miles and get 247 at 100%. I was in the same boat as you and opted for a little more mileage, 6 seater and a few options with free supercharger for only about 3k more in cost vs similar equipped 75k w/o free supercharging. The others make good points above regarding the hardware, software etc. We also liked all of the above since it’s my daily driver for 80 mile commutes and take this on our long family trips. Good luck!

It is possible to achieve rated range as with every vehicle on the road. You just have to drive in the exact conditions that it is required to claim said rated range. There are so many factors that would negatively or positively impact rated range:
  • Outside temperature
  • Inside temperature control settings
  • Wind (Head or Tail)
  • Tires 20 vs 22 - Tesla previously claimed a 15% hit on range with the 22's as compared to the 20's
  • Road conditions - this could be just about anything, i.e. rain, snow, type of road
  • Speed - anything above or below the rated speed of 65 mph or equivalent
  • Any accessories that would influence aerodynamics
  • Weight - extra
  • Elevation changes
I just returned from a 4,000 mile road trip. Wind, speed, and elevation changes will have the largest impacts on an every day basis. The other conditions are more variable. The variable conditions can absolutely work to your favor as well. For example, I had a 500 mile leg heading east from Cali to Texas. With a 25 mph tail wind I was able to average 365 Wh/mile(?) traveling at 85 mpg.

I have a 12-17 MS75D that was 259 rated but 100% at delivery was 252 and 24k later it is rated at 246. In summer weather it goes up to 300 miles, winter as low as 175 at 0 degrees F