Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • We just completed a significant update, but we still have some fixes and adjustments to make. Please see this thread for more details and to find out how to revert to the old design. Cheers!

2016 90D with MCU1. No updates since 2020.48. Is this normal?

I have a late 2016 90D AWD with FSD and HW3 computer upgrade. I have not received an upgrade since 2020.48. I this because I am still on MCU1? My MCU has occasionally blanked out but not lately. My understanding is that it is just a matter of time until it does. the band aid software patch seems to be working for now but I remember reading that the MCU upgrade would be free with failure. Any insight would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

murphyS90D

Jul 2, 2016
Horsham, PA
I have a late 2016 90D AWD with FSD and HW3 computer upgrade. I have not received an upgrade since 2020.48. I this because I am still on MCU1? My MCU has occasionally blanked out but not lately. My understanding is that it is just a matter of time until it does. the band aid software patch seems to be working for now but I remember reading that the MCU upgrade would be free with failure. Any insight would be appreciated.
My early 2016 S90D has had 13 updates since then.
Go to the software update screen and see what it says.
I think you will see a progress bar that never gets to 100% and then times out and starts over.
That is an indication of MCU1 memory failure.

I got tired of the constant failures and upgraded my car to MCU2. It is way better than MCU1 ever was.

bmah

Supporting Member
Mar 17, 2015
Lafayette, CA, USA
Mcu1 is end of life and will only get security updates. No new features.

That's not what "end-of-life" means in most tech-related contexts. That means that the manufacturer will not provide any support whatsoever for a device. I think the term you mean is more like "maintenance mode".

Bruce.

Oct 10, 2019
So-Cal
but I remember reading that the MCU upgrade would be free with failure.
no the eMMC replacement is free its like a $400 part its a small board that is a sub component of the MCU. When it fails they replace that with a bigger one but the MCU1 is still *sugar*.
They stopped giving major updates to MCU1 some time back because they cant handle hardly anything. Its just random bug repair and *sugar* if you have MCU1.

You should get the upgrade to MCU2 it is totally worth the $1500, especially if you have the FSD stuff. like i only have AP1 in my car and while the MCU2 didn't improve that any it was soooooo much nicer to have a MCU that isn't laggy and does things nearly instantly.

PWlakewood

Jan 9, 2019
US
Per Teslafi
Software.jpg
Software2.jpg

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC