Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 90D with MCU1. No updates since 2020.48. Is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a late 2016 90D AWD with FSD and HW3 computer upgrade. I have not received an upgrade since 2020.48. I this because I am still on MCU1? My MCU has occasionally blanked out but not lately. My understanding is that it is just a matter of time until it does. the band aid software patch seems to be working for now but I remember reading that the MCU upgrade would be free with failure. Any insight would be appreciated.

I have a late 2016 90D AWD with FSD and HW3 computer upgrade. I have not received an upgrade since 2020.48. I this because I am still on MCU1? My MCU has occasionally blanked out but not lately. My understanding is that it is just a matter of time until it does. the band aid software patch seems to be working for now but I remember reading that the MCU upgrade would be free with failure. Any insight would be appreciated.
My early 2016 S90D has had 13 updates since then.
Go to the software update screen and see what it says.
I think you will see a progress bar that never gets to 100% and then times out and starts over.
That is an indication of MCU1 memory failure.

I got tired of the constant failures and upgraded my car to MCU2. It is way better than MCU1 ever was.

My 2015 P90DL had MCU one and was on 2020.48 until I had MCU 2 installed and when I got home I immediately had an update to 2021.12.57 so it may be all MCU 1 cars are not getting updates as frequently as before.

but I remember reading that the MCU upgrade would be free with failure.
no the eMMC replacement is free its like a $400 part its a small board that is a sub component of the MCU. When it fails they replace that with a bigger one but the MCU1 is still *sugar*.
They stopped giving major updates to MCU1 some time back because they cant handle hardly anything. Its just random bug repair and *sugar* if you have MCU1.

You should get the upgrade to MCU2 it is totally worth the $1500, especially if you have the FSD stuff. like i only have AP1 in my car and while the MCU2 didn't improve that any it was soooooo much nicer to have a MCU that isn't laggy and does things nearly instantly.

Per Teslafi
Software.jpg
Software2.jpg