Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Charge Cable Won't Open Charge Port Door on 2022 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a new Model S Plaid and am selling my 2016.5 Model P100D. The old charging cable charges to 40 amps as opposed to the new cable's 32 amps. I don't want to give up the 40 amp capability of the old cable so I figured I would keep the old cable and send the new cable with the old car. I tested the new cable on both the new and old cars and everything seems to work fine. Unfortunately when using the old cable on the new car, I am no longer able to open the charge port door by pressing the thumb button on the charge cable handle. What's up with that? Once I get the charge port door opened, charging is no problem but this is going to be at least a bit of an inconvenience. Anyone know a way I can get the old cable to open the new door?

I just bought a new Model S Plaid and am selling my 2016.5 Model P100D. The old charging cable charges to 40 amps as opposed to the new cable's 32 amps. I don't want to give up the 40 amp capability of the old cable so I figured I would keep the old cable and send the new cable with the old car. I tested the new cable on both the new and old cars and everything seems to work fine. Unfortunately when using the old cable on the new car, I am no longer able to open the charge port door by pressing the thumb button on the charge cable handle. What's up with that? Once I get the charge port door opened, charging is no problem but this is going to be at least a bit of an inconvenience. Anyone know a way I can get the old cable to open the new door?
I spoke to someone at Tesla today that seemed to know what he was talking about? Apparently I wasn't doing anything wrong, it's just the way it is. The new cable was designed to operate the new and old cars apparently but the old one wasn't necessarily designed to operate future vehicles. This is very loosely paraphrased but that's the gist of it.

Upvote 0