TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2016 Facelift/Refresh/New Facia - Cost of front bumper body work?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by RossS, Jul 11, 2016.

1. RossS

RossS Member

I was trying to pull all the way up in a parking space to prevent the potential of someone clipping the back side of my S. Unfortunately, I went a BIT too far and pushed into the metal pole that was protecting the EV charger in front of the spot.

The result is a half inch dent to the front of the bumper, directly in the middle, right below the open section of the front of the car. There is also a 3 inch scratch in the paint that is a result of the dent pushing inward. It is exactly where the front license plate bracket would have been, if I hadn't removed it. I'm very frustrated with myself right now!

Anyone know the cost to repair damage like this? Anyone have opinions on if I should just put the front plate on and prevent and potential for annoying California tickets for not having a front license plate? I'll take a photo later, when I go back to my car.

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I'm so sorry to hear this. I can feel your pain completely. It will be a tricky fix, being a brand new part. Does the front plate bracket hide the whole thing? Even though I think front plates are heresy, I'd certainly consider putting it on. However, I expect it would remind me every day and would probably just piss me off.

I used to live on Mindanao...

3. RossS

RossS Member

Front plate would hide the whole thing.

If only as a data point, I'm going to go and get some estimates on the cost to fix this. Will report back when I do.

4. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

Have a good scratch/dent repair guy look at it.....it will be the cheapest easiest way to fix it. They can do minor miracles.

5. RossS

RossS Member

If anyone has a recommendation for someone like this in the Los Angeles area (preferably west side), it would be awesome!

6. RossS

RossS Member

I just realized that the front plate actually WOULDN'T hide it, since the dent is on the lower-most portion of the bumper.

I also realized that it is pretty hard to see the damage, or even photograph it. I tried to show it in this photo. In any case, I think I'm just going to live with it - not worth dealing with the hassle and cost of fixing, if only I am going to notice it. Slack for iOS Upload-9.jpg Slack for iOS Upload-10.jpg

• Like x 2
  7. RossS

RossS Member

Got a better photo. Argh. I'm so mad at myself

Attached Files:

8. Cstreet

Cstreet Member

My wife's SUV has this nice around view feature that shows video from all sides of the car when you are parking. I keep feeling like I'm going to smack the front into something. It's one thing I wish the S had. The parking sensors help but they seem overly sensitive.

9. Mau22

Mau22 Member

Hi RossS,
    so sorry for the damage, I know the feeling believe me...( I had just to fix my hood...$1000 later....!)
    Just a question is your facia/bumper a Karstyle one?If yes can you kindly share more details( installation costs, ect)

Thank you very much,
    Mau

10. outie

outie Active Member

I wouldn't even bother fixing that minor dent. It's barely noticeable to yourself and no one else will even see it. You will get over it in a few weeks. GL.

11. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I can sympathize. I put the exact same dent in my 1 week old S, in almost the exact same way, back when I first got it. Of course, that part was black rubbery plastic at the time instead of painted.

I got all the estimates for fixing it. Then I decided it was so minor I couldn't justify fixing it. I performed some corrections to make it less obvious and then just left it. I got the scuff out and all that remains is a slight bulge. I made peace with it and didn't have to worry about when the first ding/damage would come. Honestly, I didn't even remember it was there until I saw this thread.

We match. Mine:
    It arrived! First impressions