Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model Refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 Tesla MS arrived early and is ready for pickup, but I want to wait for Battery Day. They will rematch me soon. I need a car but can only wait a month more without one.

My question is, when did the 2016 MS refresh get announced and how soon later was it available? If a refresh/redesign is happening, what is the likelihood it will be available at the end of year based on previous launches/refresh.

If most likely next year, I might as well pick up my delivery. Thanks for any input you can provide and I know only Elon would really know.

I think people betting the farm on any sort of new Model S announcement at Battery Day are going to be sorely disappointed.

To answer your basic question, the refresh S was available more or less immediately upon announcement - in fact they were already producing cars when it hit the news. People had taken pics of cars parked around the factory before they were announced.

There’s zero evidence that Tesla has any sort of infrastructure in place to start producing their own battery cells in volume any time soon, nor any sort of credible info/rumors that a significantly new Model S is imminent.

Plaid might show up but I don’t think it’s going to be what people expect. I’m thinking new drivetrain in basically the same exact car. If you’re buying a performance model it might be worth waiting just to see if there’s a “one more thing” sort of announcement, but I’d not hold my breath.