Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S 75

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 Model S with the 75 kWh battery. I bought it used from Tesla in Nov 2018. I believe the original range for this battery was 249 miles

When I set the charge limit to 100% in the app, I get a total of 217 miles.
IMG_3993.jpg

According to my calculations that's a 12.8% degradation. Is this normal degradation for this battery? The car has a bit over 41k miles currently.

I also have a 75S (purchased new by me in 12/2016). Mine has about 35,000 mi. I just checked the max charge estimate and it is 230 mi. That number has actually been a bit lower at times consistent with what one would expect from an estimate. Given you have quite a few more miles, your 217 estimate doesn’t seem unreasonable to me.

FYI, I bought the car new, have Supercharged it only about 10 to 20 times total in four years of ownership and charge nightly to about 85%. While I don’t want to start a debate about the possible effects of frequent Supercharging and max range charging, I thought you might want to have that data and decide for yourself if that is part of the reason I might be doing a bit better. Of course, you have no idea how the previous owner of your car charged it.

Certainly within the range of normal.

12/16 S75 w/ 110,000 miles. My range dropped rapidly for the first 2 years / ~50k miles, settling around 225 at 100%. In the next 2 years and 60k miles, it has slowed dramatically - I now get 220 at 100%.

The range rating tends to drift a bit particularly when the car isn't often charged past 80%, which is where I see your slider set to. Do a few deep discharge cycles, charging to 95 or 100% and draining it down below 20 before charging again. I bet you'll get a few miles back.

The range rating tends to drift a bit particularly when the car isn't often charged past 80%, which is where I see your slider set to. Do a few deep discharge cycles, charging to 95 or 100% and draining it down below 20 before charging again. I bet you'll get a few miles back.

It is at 80% at the moment but not because it was charging. Last time I charged was to 90%. I usually don't charge again until it gets down about 20 or 30%

I've got a 2016 Model S 75 that I bought used from Tesla. Not knowing what the previous owners habits were, it's hard for me to say what is normal and not normal. I can say though that my car has 63k miles on it and my 100% charge is 231 miles. I rarely charge it over 85% and rarely if ever use a supercharger. I used one this week for the first time since March and only charged from 15% to 25% in order to have enough range to get home.

I have a 2016 Model S with the 75 kWh battery. I bought it used from Tesla in Nov 2018. I believe the original range for this battery was 249 miles

When I set the charge limit to 100% in the app, I get a total of 217 miles. View attachment 600412

According to my calculations that's a 12.8% degradation. Is this normal degradation for this battery? The car has a bit over 41k miles currently.

It is at 80% at the moment but not because it was charging. Last time I charged was to 90%. I usually don't charge again until it gets down about 20 or 30%
Hi AlexP, I just read your posting and wanted to see how things were going for you.

I bought a 2017 S 75 with under 25k miles about 2 months ago. She's in great shape, silver metallic with 21 turbine wheels, very clean and well kept!

However, I am concerned about the battery, which reads 221 miles at 100% and 180 miles at 80% -- seems rather a high level of range loss for such a low mileage vehicle.

Would appreciate any feedback or thoughts you may have.

Thanks!

Hi AlexP, I just read your posting and wanted to see how things were going for you.

I bought a 2017 S 75 with under 25k miles about 2 months ago. She's in great shape, silver metallic with 21 turbine wheels, very clean and well kept!

However, I am concerned about the battery, which reads 221 miles at 100% and 180 miles at 80% -- seems rather a high level of range loss for such a low mileage vehicle.

Would appreciate any feedback or thoughts you may have.

Thanks!

249 is dream milage, under perfect conditions, doing a perfect speed for testing. The miles shown to you, on your car, are based upon algorithms on how the car is being driven over certain periods of time to give you an accurate range estimation in miles. 221 at 100% is actually pretty good IMO.

If you baby the car, go slow, draft other vehicles you may get closer to the dream miles. Eventually, you will ignore miles completely and switch over to percentage, because you will just know how far a % will take you based on you and your car. If you stay on miles, your range anxiety will probably stop you from enjoying the car.

Reactions: JimmyB
If you baby the car, go slow, draft other vehicles you may get closer to the dream miles. Eventually, you will ignore miles completely and switch over to percentage, because you will just know how far a % will take you based on you and your car. If you stay on miles, your range anxiety will probably stop you from enjoying the car.

This 100%.

The miles displayed on the battery meter don't really reflect real life driving. If you need to know how far you can go, set your destination in the nav.

Otherwise set it to % and don't think about it.

Reactions: WhiteWi and JimmyB
249 is dream milage, under perfect conditions, doing a perfect speed for testing. The miles shown to you, on your car, are based upon algorithms on how the car is being driven over certain periods of time to give you an accurate range estimation in miles. 221 at 100% is actually pretty good IMO.

Totally agree with this statement. Once I changed to percentages, life became much more enjoyable behind the wheel of my MS.

This 100%.

The miles displayed on the battery meter don't really reflect real life driving. If you need to know how far you can go, set your destination in the nav.

Otherwise set it to % and don't think about it.

One more + on this one. After switching to display percentage only, I've enjoyed the car much much more. You'll get used to how far you can go based on how much charge you have and how you are driving.

The miles shown to you, on your car, are based upon algorithms on how the car is being driven over certain periods of time to give you an accurate range estimation in miles.
I agree with the sentiment of your post but this bit is factually wrong. The range estimate does not take into account driving history or style at all.

I agree with the sentiment of your post but this bit is factually wrong. The range estimate does not take into account driving history or style at all.

Speaking of this, I know there was a way to "calibrate" this range estimate from time to time. For example I've been only charging between 40%-80% for a long long time. Is the 100% estimate accurate to judge degradation or should I do some specific discharge/charge cycles? If yes, how?