Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S 90D vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As mentioned, 2016 has a wide spread of model S’s. You’d have to run me over twice (forwards and backwards) to get me to trade my 2016 S P100D with MCU2/AP3 with third row seats for a Y.
That’s as good as it gets for an EV car imo, at least for now. The unicorn if you can find a lightly used P100D or even late P90D in which the owner/dealer doesn’t recognize the value. I’d gladly pay for a MCU/HW upgrade if it’s near MY pricing. The combination of room, comfort, acceleration, handling, and interior is outstanding.

I hope Tesla does a refresh with the plaid drivetrain, adding the new tech of the 3/Y plus some options the legacy competition offers.

This is a standard question since the 3 came out. Personally, I test drove the 3 and the ride quality clinched it for me. Keep the S. I'm interested in the Y and maybe will look closer next year but for now? Love the S! :) You MUST test drive both. The S has a lot more cargo capacity then it looks. I have loaded so much into the hatchback with the seats down. Much more room than it looks from the outside

Reactions: BlindPass
I’m leaning towards a brand new MY over a used 2016-2017 MS at this point. From what I am hearing, there are uncertainties with the MS battery and I’m not sure if I would be comfortable being a 2nd owner on a Tesla not knowing how the car and battery was treated. Before joining this forum, I had my mind set on a used 2016-2017 MS. Been on this forum religiously the past few days and the more I read in to this, the more I want a brand new Tesla. If I’m gonna fork up $50-60k on a car, it better come with a peace of mind in regards to the battery quality and technology. Thanks to all the people who have chimed in and I have gained a lot of knowledge since I’ve joined 3 days ago.

I have a Jan 2017 S90D with 51k miles.

Original full charge range - 294
Now - 272.

I’m satisfied with how the battery has held up.

The range drop was the most the first couple years and is leveling off. And I can get close to rated range in good weather conditions and reasonable driving.

Last week we moved from 2017 Model S to new LR Model Y.

impressed with Y.

no build quality issues for us and interior really works - no I don’t miss the binacle / 2nd screen.

Ride is a little harsher - we got the 20” induction wheels, BUT for most daily drives no real difference

you sit higher of course and that’s just preference.

Extra storage- well it feels like it- is helping.

I’d say got for a new Tesla - The new car experience is worth it.

good luck and let us know what you do .

• Helpful
Reactions: VikH
2015 P90D and MY(wife's) owner here. I know this doesn't help but I enjoy both cars. The S still feels a little classier and cruises very nicely. Understand the older S will not have the computer sophistication of the Y, will charge slower and will have less range. That's 4 years of technology advancement. The Y rides firmer but I feel it corners very well for a small SUV (arguably better than my S). Screen on Y doesn't bother me at all - you get used to it immediately. Had no fitment or other issues with MY when we picked it up a couple months ago. Also, S still charges to close to numbers when new. Most charging at home so slower charging not an issue for me. Acceleration of S can't be beat if you're into that (I am)! Really personal choice - do you want a smaller SUV or a sedan?

Reactions: VikH and BlindPass
I have a Jan 2017 S90D with 51k miles.

Original full charge range - 294
Now - 272.

I’m satisfied with how the battery has held up.

The range drop was the most the first couple years and is leveling off. And I can get close to rated range in good weather conditions and reasonable driving.
Posted earlier but I have a Dec 2016 S90D 28k miles ... Range is at 283