Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Battery Degradation Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A month ago I purchased a used 2016 Model S 75 from Tesla. Listing stated maximum range of 249 miles. Last night I charged to 100% for the first time, and range read 226 miles, a 9.74% loss which I think is not correct.

I do not know the previous owners charging habits. Should my maximum charge be set to 80% or 90%? Perhaps compromise at 85%. I'm retired, so range is not usually an issue.

I've done some research on this forum, a little confused on the remedy. Some say to charge to 80% and leave plugged in to initiate cell equalization. Others say to set at 90% and I've also read 70%.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, I LOVE THE CAR!

Hi congrats on car ..!! The degradation doesn’t seem that bad for car that age and keep in mind with software updates the range could have changed slightly .. charge to whatever you think you need I typically keep mine at 70-80% daily .. and try not to think to my much about it .. just enjoy the car!! You can find endless threads here about what is good for battery .. but you can’t control what Tesla will do with software updates;)

A month ago I purchased a used 2016 Model S 75 from Tesla. Listing stated maximum range of 249 miles. Last night I charged to 100% for the first time, and range read 226 miles, a 9.74% loss which I think is not correct.

I do not know the previous owners charging habits. Should my maximum charge be set to 80% or 90%? Perhaps compromise at 85%. I'm retired, so range is not usually an issue.

I've done some research on this forum, a little confused on the remedy. Some say to charge to 80% and leave plugged in to initiate cell equalization. Others say to set at 90% and I've also read 70%.

BTW, I LOVE THE CAR!

That number that you're seeing is likely roughly what your car can do, and actually it is very likely that even though your car says it has a range of 226 miles it probably won't be able to do even 200 of "normal" highway driving.

I have a 2016 90D and when it says I've got 277 miles I can eek out 220 of blasting down the highway at ordinary speeds. Probably way more if I hyper-mile and draft behind trucks and other silly things.

You should not leave your car for too long above 85% SOC (some will say 90). When I was driving to work and charging at work, I would typically charge my car to 95% and then drive home and "land" with 88% and drive it until it was back to 50% and charge it back up to 90%+. Now that I'm not driving the car much I charge it to 75% and let it self-discharge to something less.

Basically the battery degrades fastest when supercharging or when at above 90% in extreme temperatures (very hot or very cold).

I've had my car for a year and haven't seen any further degradation; when I got it 90% was "250" and today 90% is "251".

The good news for you is that it is very likely that you can still supercharge at a decent rate, and so road-trips are still going to be quite tolerable. I drove 900 miles in a day and it was a breeze; I charged to 100% overnight and left and then charged every time it got below 18% (at a supercharger en-route) and everything was fine; my typical supercharger stop was 25 minutes.

BTW, I LOVE THE CAR!
Congrats on the car! I also have a 2016 75D and my range is 244 miles at 100% charge. Mileage on my car (and I also got it used a year ago with only 17K miles on it) is now 32K miles.

I can easily get the 244 miles by going at about 5 mph over the indicated speed limit. And I don't hypermile. Ofcourse I don't drive like that all the time - just do that on a long trips to get the best possible range and minimize my total charging time. Anyone else who is getting much less is enjoying the car too much (it's so much fun to floor the throttle in a Tesla - instant buttery smooth crazy speed and torque with no fuss or drama at any speed)

I leave mine set to charge to 75% and I charge it whenever it hits 40%. Don't overthink it. Just enjoy the car!

It's within the realm of reason. You will not make any progress trying to address this as a service issue with Tesla.

My 2016 S75 now reports 217 miles at 100% (though I have ~110,000 miles), so you're better than some, worse than others.

As for charging, pick a value 90% or below based on what you need and charge to that value every night. For the first 3 years of my car's life I charged to 90% daily (because I needed the range, long commute). Now that COVID has ground my driving to a halt I've backed it off to 75%.

I purchased my MS 85D 'GASKIKR' in Nov 2015, when I traded in our 2013 MS 85 (my wife fell in love with the Titanium color, while I liked the AP). As we live in a condo, my only choice is the 20A 110V outlet in my parking space. It's plugged in full time when we're home, at 5-6 mi/hr of charge. I've always kept it at 80% except when range charging for our trips. With nearly 5 years and over 45,000 miles - mostly the semi-annual trips of 850 miles each way - my 85D still shows only a 3.5 to 4% reduction from the original 264mi. range. It apparently likes the "full-time" 110 Volts.

I find that on reasonably flat terrain, in 50º to 70º degree weather and with relatively little wind effect, I can consistently read less than 295Wh/mi. while maintaining a steady 75 mph, which should just about match the stated range. It's also comforting to have the confidence in the accuracy of the SoC, as when it reads 10 miles 'in the tank', you still have at least 10 miles of range, and perhaps 5 or so more. (I've only hit "0" once, and made it to the charger, but I'll likely not do it again ;o)

BTW, I've just watched Jay Leno's half hour long (and solo, due to COVID) dissertation on the Model Y. It's a remarkable paen to Elon and his accomplishments, and high praise for the Y. I'm now giving serious thought to trading "up". Leno's program should be required viewing in Detroit (. . . and Texas?).

Welcome and congrats!

I’ve got a July build 2016 MS 75.

I bought mine used from Tesla our Augusta of 2019 and it had 40k miles on it. When I took delivery, it charged to 231 at full charge.

Now I have 60k miles on it and it charges to 232 at 100%.

My daily charge is always set to 85% and I’ve only gone above that four or five times when doing long distance road trips.

Congrats again!