Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S delivery in 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they break the Jan 1 boundry, they WILL creep back in the year until they are like every other manufacturer. Wait and see.
If there's someone who doesn't want his car now, build one for someone else who does, it's not like Tesla is lacking willing customers.

I imagine that they are doing this because they have excess capacity because people are waiting for 2016s and they can see the order just sitting there. I wouldn't think that they would be moving people up if their capacity was already at its limit.

I think this situation is unique in that there is production capacity just sitting there, right now, and there's an order, just lingering, why not?
Just an observation...

Tesla has said for a while they are production constrained rather than demand constrained. If what you've said is correct, then this is a big change.

Tesla isn't production constrained IMO. I selected a February delivery date to guarantee a 2016. I get a call from Tesla saying they can produce a 2016 right now, ship it and deliver it before the end of the year. That doesn't sound too production constrained. They've just found a gap in December production from all the people wanting cars built in January.

One possibility is that whatever is causing the delay on the Model X has temporarily freed up capacity on the line. Rather then let that sit idle, Tesla is trying to pull forward as many orders as they can. Then whenever the issue is with the X (supply constraint is my guess) is remedied, Tesla can use the now freed capacity to build the X. It's just shifting the time. People with S orders receive their cars earlier than expected; people with X orders later.

I had selected January 2016 as my delivery preference in order to get a 2016 car. Yes I know model year doesn't matter at Tesla, but it matters to me. Well last night I received a phone call from headquarters asking me if I wanted delivery in 2015 if I could get a 2016 VIN. I said yes and my delivery is now late December. Did anyone else get a call like that?

This happened to me yesterday. I am leasing so the tax credit doesn't matter to me. They estimated I will take delivery between Christmas and New Years.

This is likely motivated by their desire to meet their deliveries target. They've probably found that a lot of buyers at this time of year want a 2016 Model S, for various reasons. But, Tesla needs to deliver cars in December, not January, to please shareholders. So, Tesla is making an exception & is willing to deliver cars with 2016 VINs (to satisfy buyers) in December 2015 (to meet their delivery target & please investors). Personally, I'd prefer an older model year. That would save on insurance costs & annual registration costs (based on model year & MSRP in MN).